1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ACBF - What's on your list?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by dawatts, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawatts

dawatts Savant (285) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

I will make sure to hit Lawsons first for the Double Sunshine and then over to DC Brau for On the Wings of Armageddon and over to Maine Beer Co for Lunch. Whats on your must have list for the festival?
  2. dawatts

Adding Sixpoint's Spice of Life - Glacier IPA to my list as well.
  3. I just wanted to tell all my fellow BA's to check out
    Relic Brewing a nano brewery out of central Ct. Really exceptional stuff. Dont miss it.
    ToeNee11, jfarrlley and dawatts like this.
  4. dawatts

Awesome. Thanks clord717!
  5. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Dc brau On the wings of Armageddon
    Tree house Julius
    Anything from prodigal brewing
    Allagash black
    Bpoint Victory at sea
    Fishermans dipa
    Clown shoes crunklesam
    All the grey sail stuff
    High horse satisfaction ipa
    Jacks abbey smoked maple
    Olde burnside stone of destiny

And damn pretty things has so many brews, I want them all!
    dawatts likes this.
  6. dawatts

Always interesting at Pretty Things. Plus they always have the nicest looking booth. =) A few of yours were def not on my radar...local stuff too. I will have to check them out. Awesome stuff, thanks.
  7. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

All the berliner weiss's
    Treehouse julius
    Lawsons ipas all of them
    Sculpin since i wont pat $11 a bomber and never buy it but love it!
    Lunch
    Wilds!
    dawatts likes this.
  8. dawatts

Tree House. Nice...I hadnt heard of these guys. On my list now.
  9. Double Sunshine, Lunch, Julius, DC Brau are all high on my list of things to try, see everyone in those lines. Good point on Sculpin as well. I think I need to keep my list short because I'll probably be overwhelmed. As long as I make a point to try a few highly rated beers I dont normally have access to and relax and enjoy myself then it a win. I'm also looking forward to trying some different styles and straying away from all the IPAs and DIPAs I usually drink, since if I dont like them I won't be stuck with beer I dont want.
  10. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

That's exactly what everyone should do. This will be my 3rd year and I've found that you will never get to every booth and try every beer. Make a short list, sample the best you can, then go and actively seek new and different breweries and styles. That's the best way to leave happy. Sure it's about trying the ones on your list, but there will always be something awesome you've never heard of lurking around the next booth. Cheers
  11. Tree house is gonna be a show stealer for sure. They constantly get comparisons to HF
  12. For the most part I just roll with it all at ACBF and enjoy the day, as most of what is there is readily available elsewhere. I am looking forward to trying Tree House though.
  13. Tree House's Julius is excellent...highly recommend you give it a try.
    blckout20 likes this.
  14. dawatts

Readily? Not really. There are plenty of brews there that are tough to come by. And breweries also bring special things that go quickly. First year I plotted my course for the entire day. Second year I whittled it down to 6 MUST tries. The second year was less hectic so Im going to go with that. A little tactical planning, I feel, is necessary if there are some special brews you want to try that may kick quickly. Double Sunshine comes to mind.
  15. RANCH! Been wanting to try this for a while now.

16. Like I said, 'most'. Yes, there are a bunch of out of market breweries, but Lawson's tends to be more of an exception with their "must try" beers like Double Sunshine. This fest just isn't trying to be extreme/rare beerfest. Like if you look at the breweries that would typically bring more adventurous or special beers to one of the other fests (Allagash, Dogfish, etc), they're just rolling with 100% stock bottled stuff at ACBF. Which is all I'm really saying - 95% of the beers at this fest are either bottled or locally available on tap. It doesn't mean it isn't great beer, it just means I'm not going to lose sleep if I miss out on anything or bypass a brewery because of a gigantic line.

I do totally agree though about the strategy - if there is something you must try, you absolutely hit it up immediately.
  17. For the porter fans, don't missed DC Brau's Penn Quarter Porter. It's fantastic.
  18. Also check out Noda's Hop, Drop n' Roll IPA. It's getting quite popular here in NC.

And of course Duck Rabbit...
  19. dawatts

Well last year I had two different cask ales and the year before that I had World Wide Stout run through randall that was full of coffee.
  20. mbedard

mbedard Aspirant (45) New Hampshire Aug 20, 2012

I've gotta hit up my hometown boys Wachusett for some Larry, Brooklyn for, well all of em, Dogfish Head to see what they're shleppin, Long Trail for Milk Stout, Redhook to try the Black Lobstah, and Pyramid for Apricot Ale (haven't had it since I lived in CO 15 years ago), gonna be a blast, Cheers!
  21. mbedard

And why the hell isn't New Belgium going to be there?! GRRRR!!!
  22. dawatts

Love Larry.
  23. I'm a little surprised that New England Brewing won't bet there...

24. I am totally winging it this time- places with no lines at the top of the list. I've seen enough over the past few years that this time I just want to sample the unknown and see where it takes me.

25. No distribution this way. I mean I know some brewers outside of the distribution map make it to the fest, but I bet they're busy at other fests for people who can buy their beer.

I would love to see them there too, though!

26. Pretty Things has the best merch/coasters/stickers of the fest, too
    dawatts likes this.
  27. SamPierce

SamPierce Aspirant (30) Connecticut Jan 13, 2012

Cambridge House (from CT - yes CT not MA) their IPA and Kolsch are excellent! And I want to try the Big Hoppy Double IPA - havent had this one in years.
  28. They received an invite from the brother's but declined. I believe they just couldn't make it.
  29. I like a well thought out plan. It almost never works out, but it is fun to plan it all out. In the last 5 or 6 years of going to this, the plan almost never works out. My friends also have different priorities than I, so sometimes someone calls an audible and we have to change tactics on the fly. But Lawsons, Tree House, Mystic, are all booths I need to get to early.
  30. Nikoras

Nikoras Aspirant (25) Connecticut May 30, 2013

31. mbedard

Yeah, me too! I went to school in Fort Collins back in the day, and now constantly crave their beer. They need to solve these distribution issues so we New Englanders can enjoy Fat Tire, Yeunglings, and other "unavailable" brews...
  32. A buddy and I put together a list of our top 15 must try beers:

Intergalactic Acid Berliner Weiss - The Tap Brewing Company
    § Haverhill, MA Berliner Weissbier 2.70% ABV Booth 130

Mellow Gold - Cambridge Brewing Company
    § Cambridge, MA American Wild Ale 4.70% ABV Booth 122

Curse Of The Rye Wolf Roggenbier - The Prodigal Brewery at Misty Mountain Farm
    § Effingham, NH Roggenbier 5.40% ABV Booth 81

Ciel Rouge A Nuit - Grey Sail Brewing of Rhode Island
    § Westerly, RI Flanders Red Ale 5.50%ABV Booth 113

Smoke Maple Lager - Jack’s Abby Brewing (Collaboration W/ Lawson's)
    § Framingham, MA Rauchbier 6.00% ABV Booth 46

Odio Equum - Avery Brewing Company
    § Boulder, CO American Wild Ale 7.10% ABV Booth 71

Breakfast At Tig's Before During & After Thanksgiving Morning Abbey Ale - Post Road Tavern
    § Ogunquit, ME Belgian Strong Dark Ale 7.80% ABV Booth 65

Barrel Aged Oud Bruin (Sour) - Beer Works
    § Boston, MA Flanders Oud Bruin 8.00% ABV Booth 62

Big Gruesome Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout - Spring House Brewing Company
    § Conestoga, PA American Double/Imperial Stout 8.00% ABV Booth 60

Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson’s Finest Liquids
    § Warren,VT American Double/Imperial IPA 8.00% ABV Booth 3

Le Mystique Magnifique - Martha's Exchange
    § Nashua, NH Belgian Strong Pale Ale 8.70% ABV Booth 75

Space & Time - Tree House Brewing Company
    § Brimfield, MA American Double/Imperial Stout 8.80% ABV Booth 52

Higher Ground - Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    § Hyattsville, MD American Wild Ale 9.00% ABV Booth 53

On The Wings Of Armageddon - DC Brau Brewing Co.
    § Washington, D.C American Double/Imperial IPA 9.20% ABV Booth 59

Enlightenment Brut (Bière De Champagne) - Enlightenment Ales
    § Lowell, MA Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut 11.0% ABV Booth 124

Cheers everyone!
  33. blckout20

blckout20 Savant (270) Connecticut May 24, 2012

Really interested in trying Night Shift, DC Brau, and stopping at the NERAX booth.
  34. I'm going to agree with High Horse here, but disagree on the selection. Their "Another Lover" IPA is really something special.
  35. I highly recommend everyone add Bug Valley (American Wild Ale fermented in Peite Syrah wine barrels) by Trillium Brewing to their list. I just picked up a 32 oz on my way home from work and this stuff is amazing. This is Boston's newest brewery and it's just a 5-minute walk from the ACBF location.
    HawkIPA likes this.
  36. dawatts

I dont see Bug Valley on their list of current beers or on the list of what they are bringing.
  37. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

How much was the growler fill and can you describe it?

38. I saw someone check in Bug Valley tonight at ACBF on Untappd, so hopefully it will be there tomorrow. Perhaps it is there instead of their "New England Red" Wild American Ale because they didn't have that one at the brewery.

39. They only have Bug Valley in 32 oz, not the usual 64 and it was $18. The bottle was either $5 or $3, I don't remember, so either $13 or $15 for the beer itself.

It was damn worth it. Such a drinkable beer..I wish I had a full 64 of it because the 32 oz disappeared in no time and I didn't spend the time to do a proper review. Ridiculously smooth...it has the buttery essence you sometimes find in a bourbon barrel aged beer, but this one was in wine barrels. The tartness is there at first..not enough to make you pucker - it's actually quite mild, but just enough to make you salivate for the smooth goodness that comes after. It's like drinking your favorite desert, but not sweet enough to make you sick so you keep drinking more and more until you pass out.

Supposedly the "wild" comes from the yeasty mix of the bottoms of Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Russian River, and Jolly Pumpkin - all blended together and allowed to do their own thing.

[​IMG]
  40. dawatts

Hop Drop and Roll was solid. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.