Acquiring beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Cloaked_Phantom, Apr 10, 2013.

1. What is the best way to start from the bottom and trade up towards better beers? I'm dying to try a CBS, Black Note, ect. and I know I have to work way up to that. But there are others I feel like shouldn't be too hard to get like some of Firestone Walker or some other west coast beers I can't get in the South. I have Smoking Wood Rye and a few other good ones but it doesnt seem thats interesting enough even for a Backwoods Bastard. What is the secret to working my way to better trades?

2. It looks like you have KBS, based on your profile. Try offering the good (or sought after) stuff

Cloaked_Phantom likes this.
  3. You should be able to find someone to trade their locals for yours. That's a good way to start. With those types of trades, you could even trade regular beers from a brewery's lineup and people might be down.

If you get something crazy that people want, you'll be able to get the rare stuff you want; or by building up a repoir with traders.

kemoarps and Cloaked_Phantom like this.
  4. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Advocate (500) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013 Verified

Good question, and as a relatively new trader I asked a lot of the same questions myself. Have patience and study the forums here. BAs are awesome people and do your best to help out others (get them their gots) and they will return the favor. I've met a number of great guys through BA in just a few months. I trust that the same will happen for you.

I might recommend looking at the upcoming limited release beers that you can get locally. If they draw attention here then you can be sure that people will trade for them. If you have access to local limited release or brewery only beers get those and offer them in the ISO: FT: forum.

PS if my advice is crap, I will send you a BW Bastard to hook you up.

Cheers

kemoarps, ufmj, dar482 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Look up a beer/brewery in Georgia (or wherever you live) and find stuff that's on someone's wants list - that you think you might be able to find/get easily. BM them with an offer and see what happens! :)

Another idea: post your ISO in the trade forum, and say FT "whatever locals that this would take to get."

JxExM and Cloaked_Phantom like this.
  6. So local first? That's a great idea! And I have had KBS. My hometown accidentally got a keg and the bartender let me know when they were gonna tap it so got to have a few drafts...unfortunately no bottles.

7. I'll definitely check that forum. I'm just getting into trading and I need to update a looooot of beers onto here that I have on my UNTAPPD app right now. Thank you so much for the advice! I can't wait for all the beers to come!

8. Just noticed that your 'hads' and 'gots' are the same beers. Hads are beers you've had, and gots are beers you have (got), like actual bottles in your possession :).

kemoarps and Cloaked_Phantom like this.
  9. Haha wow...thanks again. Hopefully I can fix that.

10. Being from Georgia I'm sure you can grab some cool Terrapin and SweetWater stuff. Work your way up.

11. Yea Terrapin is super easy. Pretty much anything by them. Didn't know that many people would really be interested in it though.

12. I don't really trade but locals sound like a good option. Not every trade is rare beer for rare beer, it just has to be something the other person can't get and is good. If there are any brewery only releases you can attend those are obviously tradeable.

13. People are interested in all beers they can't get; just some more than others. Even a mediocre or crappy beer can put a smile on someone's face when they pull it out of a box and it's a surprise to see.

BrettHead and Cloaked_Phantom like this.
  14. Not every trade is gonna be Heady for Pilny.

The Liquid Bliss wasn't the easiest to get up in NJ and I was looking for that quite a bit.

15. Stevedore

Stevedore Poobah (1,045) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012 Verified

Get stuff from the local breweries (brewery only releases especially) and trade it for stuff you can't get. Then turn around and trade it for even better stuff.

Also, whenever you travel, keep an eye out for good stuff. Visit breweries when you travel and grab anything that's interesting and bring it back to your local area- use it to trade for stuff you can't get.

16. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

If I can't trade for it I'll just overpay. The other option is to not get to try the beer. I've paid a few hundred too much more times than I would like to admit. But yeah, I'd prefer to trade. Darn Missouri distribution! We dont get as many treats/tradeables as other markets. You know how some of your local breweries only sell certain beers from the brewery or locally only? Yeah Boulevard doesn't do that. Quite the opposite actually, markets on each coast seem to get as much if not more limited releases than we do. At least when you consider the ratio of the supply & demand. Kind of cool to go to Oregon & see several bottles of 2008 Imperial Stout though.

17. Where do you buy? I wouldn't be opposed to doing that for beers I'd probably never be able to trade up to like CBS.

18. Stevedore

Florida is down south so if you ever find yourself down there, especially Tampa, you could visit Cigar City!

ET678, dwagner003 and alysmith4 like this.
  19. Jake1605

I also like to shop online. Lots of good stores if you search for them. Can't find everything at the store though.

20. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I have a few thoughts on the subject so I'm just gonna throw them in here:

1) if you're thinking about trading up from locals to semi-whales to whales to uber-whales, be warned. By the time you get the uber-whale you want your cash outlay to get that beer will be through the roof.

2) don't know the law, but my guess is GA lets you order beer online. You won't be able to order whales, but you can get good beers you can't buy at home. And it's easier and cheaper than trading

3) this is the most important. I don't know how old you are or where you are in your craft beer journey (other than I see that you're a very recent member), but I see that you're very interested in whales. I'm 7+ years into this and just had my first whale last month. I remember buying a 2009 BCBS back before I knew what it was and before this hysteria began and thought it was "eh." Now I can't buy enough of the stuff. Don't run before you can walk. (For all I know you're 50 and have been drinking craft beer for 15+ years, in which case this is irrelevant). If you're new to this, trade for locals and get your feet wet first. You shouldn't have any trouble trading for FW. I'd do it but I quit trading.

4) going off 3, many of these so called whales will not be your personal whales. While you should certainly try as much as you can, I can tell you from personal experience that a lot of your "shelf turds" will be, at worst, slightly inferior to these whales. There's just too much good beer out there in just about every market.

I don't mean to discourage you, just impart some wisdom I've learned. By all means trade away! I traded Heady and my locals for Pliny and OR locals and the best beers I got back in that trade were OR shelf turds...not what I would've expected. BA is great for connecting beer enthusiasts but it elevates some beers to a status they cannot possibly live up to. Some beers live up to this status or exceed it, many others don't even come close...but that's all part of the journey

21. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Champion (870) Maryland Feb 27, 2013 Verified

I would love to see some kind documented one red paperclip type trade up to get to a whale or just some great beers.

CharlatanSin and alysmith4 like this.
  22. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,060) New York Mar 12, 2009 Verified

Awwriggghhhtttt 2013ers trying to out 2012 the 2012ers. Why don't you be the one to document going from Bud Chelada to Dave for us.

OP, Locals for locals were the best trades I did, almost every hard to get limited release beer I have tasted was not really as good as what I had to send to get it (almost, not all). Breweries like Oakshire, Ninkasi, Deschutes, Surly, Marble, BrewKettle, Short's, New Glarus, Alpine, Fremont, Charlevoix, Sweetwater, Jester King, NEBCO, Captain Lawrence, Peekskill, and so many others that would fill a couple pages all make fantastic beers that are easy to trade for.

First and foremost, though, is to try all the beer available locally. Can't stress that this is the most satisfying way to enjoy beer. In fact, my trading days have ended, except a couple great regular traders, and that is all I intend to drink from here out.

23. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Like others have said, locals for locals. Establish regular trading partners, and in many cases, good friends. In most (or all) cases, I will hook one of my friends up with a special bottle before I would ever trade it to someone else. And they do the same for me.

MarkIntihar and Cloaked_Phantom like this.
  24. gillagorilla

Ok, I have lurked a bit and I thought I understood the whole 2012-2013er thing. I realize that it is about being a newcomer, but I can't tell if this one is a compliment or not since it is the first time such a thing has been directed my way. I mean I am newer than 2012ers and I am trying to out "year" (or out do?) them in this case. I am led to believe that the awright was in my favor, but it could just as well not be. Trying to decipher that sentence is making my head spin. I'm just surprised someone else remembers the whole red paper clip thing.

cavedave likes this.
  25. Stevedore

Does anyone remember a few months back in the trading forum where someone posted an article about a guy who started out with some $5 bottle of box wine and over the course of a year, traded it up to some sort of super whale bottle of wine that cost $1000 or something like that? That's the red clip version for wine!

26. That guys story ended with him alone drinking his wine. I'd rather drink a 24 of SNPA with friends than drink Dave alone in my house.

cavedave, Auslander and huskermike12 like this.
  27. ET678

ET678 Initiate (0) Florida Mar 10, 2013

Good info. Go to the regional forums and just ask the locals what's good that is only in their area. My wife just went to SC and shipped me a 6er and 2 bombers from Westbrook :D

28. ET678

ET678 Initiate (0) Florida Mar 10, 2013

Peg's is only anther hour south of CCB

29. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Champion (865) Idaho Aug 10, 2005 Verified

One other point. You might not be able to trade Terrapin (or other locals) straight across for bigger/badder beers. But sometimes folks are okay with trading QUANTITY for those bigger/badder beers.

30. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (710) Ohio Nov 11, 2011 Verified

I agree with starting with locals for locals and totally avoiding whale hunting. Ive been into craft beer for 15 years but only started trading last year. In that time, I have yet to try any uber-whales and I really have little interest in obtaining any of them since there are so many great brews out there, albeit less revered. Since I started trading, most of the beers I trade away are locals that are not widely distributed outside of Ohio (I think Ive probably sent out 3 cases of Head Hunter and 1-2 cases of White Rajah) among all the trades and BIFs I have been involved in. In return, I have obtained awesome beers that locals to others that I can't get here (read Firestone Walker, BCBS, high ABV Bruery stuff, Heady Topper, HF, etc). If you start in that manner, you will find that the beer people have readiliy available to them will make their way into your possession.

Cheers

31. TheJermis

TheJermis Savant (410) Missouri Dec 20, 2005 Verified

I can assure you that we're not sending greater quantities of Smokestack Series Limited Release beers to coastal markets than we're allocating for the Kansas City market. We're very fortunate to have loyal fans in our home market and their demand for our beers might make the supply in town seem smaller than markets where the demand might not be as great, but we're definitely keeping the lion's share of these beers in town. Limited Release allocations are based on the volume of Smokestack Series beers that an account sells and you'd be hard pressed to find accounts outside the home market that are consistently topping sales of accounts in the KC area. Having said that, we do feel it's important to offer our fans in other markets the chance to buy these beers as well, so we will continue to send Limited Release beers to markets where we're developing our customer base, but certainly not in the quantities that you'll see here in Kansas City.

32. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Find the place that made/sells the Fantome Teku glasses and then shoot me a convo.

jaminjohnson and Johnnyramirez like this.
  33. BM me as well. After MordorMongo is taken care of 1st of course.

34. I would hate this more than anything I have seen yet on this website. Whatever you do, OP, don't try to win trades. Be generous, and your generosity will be returned tenfold.

35. gillagorilla

Luckily, I am not OP. I was just saying I would like to see it once. People have been very generous to me on here and I have just begun to trade. Also, the red paper clip trade is not about winning, it is more about generosity than anything. I guess it doesn't directly apply, but it relied on the generosity of others to accept something for something that is more readily tradeable. It was about trading what someone doesn't want or what someone has for something more. Finally, it would only really happen once probably and it doesn't matter as much since that guy traded up to a house and we would just be trading one "lowly" beer for a "better" beer. So, in the grand scheme it isn't as important. I just thought it would be neat to see.

36. Jake1605

That's why I said by ratio of supply & demand. Locally Boulevard is highly acclaimed, so when a big release comes out it flies off the shelf, in some cases not even making it to the shelves. It gets mentioned on the news, front page of the Star, then sells out by noon. Meanwhile in other markets it sits on the shelves because Boulevard halfway across the country may only be well known to craft beer drinkers that pursue great beer. When Deschutes started selling in Missouri I traded a bottle of Abyss to someone in Oregon for a bottle of Boulevard Imperial Stout 08. We shared laugh at the irony. All I'm saying is I don't expect to see Boulevard put out a release that's exclusive to the local market.

37. MastaShonuf

MastaShonuf Savant (430) California Jan 21, 2013 Verified

Newer to this all and lucky to be in Cali with a lot of choices. Needless to say. There are many people like myself who just want to try stuff I can't get. $4$ works out well. I have met a couple guys already who have helped me obtain most of what I need.

This is the best thing ever shared with me : http://seekabrew.com/distro/index.html

It compares beers in two states, so you know what someone can not get without trading. It works great. There are a lot of good beers available to you.

38. Make friends with people that have been in the game for a while and goto there bottle shares.

If no friends,

1- buy loons on etre
    2- trade them for cbs's or what have you
    3- re stock bank account
    4- repeat

39. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (710) New York Jun 19, 2009

The secret to working better trades, besides the generic "be generous and it'll be returned to you", "start off with locals", and "attend bottle shares" (although those are all true), is that you have to put in time.

If you want to trade for wales, the truth is that unless you're extravagantly rich, you're going to have to attend bottle releases, wait on line, and get the brewery only beers. It only makes sense that if you want other people's wales (most likely brewery only bottles), you'll have to trade your own wales (brewery only bottles).

As for the really, really rare beers, be patient, stockpile lots of brewery-only releases and try to trade quantity for (super) rarity. Think to yourself "would I make this trade if I had the rare bottle"? And if your HONEST (this is important) answer is yes, then it's likely your trade will get done in time. The key here though, is to be patient (trading up is hard) and honest with yourself. If you don't think the offer is good enough, then other's likely won't either.

Hope all that helps.

Photekut, cavedave and jaminjohnson like this.
  40. TheJermis

TheJermis Savant (410) Missouri Dec 20, 2005 Verified

It is funny to trade Deschutes back to a guy in Oregon for some Boulevard.