1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Adding Flavors To Already Capped Beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by markmcconv, Jan 28, 2013.

1. markmcconv

markmcconv Member

I figured this would be the best place to ask this question. I was in line yesterday at CW and the guy in front of me was talking about a tasting he went to where they added vanilla beans and peppers to bottles of GI BCS, recapping them, letting them sit for a week, then popping em open.

has anyone had any success with this? i would hate to waste one of my BCS trying this method out. but it sounds super enticing as i am obsessed with experimenting with stuff like this. i'm having a tasting with a buddy consisting of BCS '12, BCS Coffee '12, BCS Cherry Rye, and a growler of Baudoinia. would love to surprise him with a homemade vanilla bean BCS.

thanks all!
  2. Mike

Mike BA Developer Staff Member

Not sure about recapping but I've tried adding a few drops of vanilla extract to a glass of BCBS once. It was no BCBVS but it satisfied the craving. It would probably take much longer for the actual beans to impart their flavor.
    markmcconv likes this.
  3. markmcconv

markmcconv Member

thank you!
  4. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Member

why don't you experiment on a less rare/expensive beer first :cool:
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  5. markmcconv

markmcconv Member

that is a good idea. however the tasting is next weekend.

maybe i'll try the vanilla extract with a stout this week. sounds like the better option as you are enjoying a fresh beer anyways.
  6. gcamparone

gcamparone Member

One time I added some KFC to my breakfast stout and it kinda tasted like KBS
  7. victory4me

victory4me Member

Interesting. I would recommend putting enough of whatever addition you choose in the bottle so the liquid level rises all the way to the top and when you recap it there is no air between the beer and the cap. You should be able to retain a decent amount of carbonation this way. Now you have me very intrigued.
  8. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Member

You'll lose some of the carbonation that way for sure.
  9. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Member

A smart-ass in our homebrew club famously put a Ludens cherry cough drop in some bottles of his Wee Heavy he submitted for our competition, and re-capped them, to be judged 1 month later. He won a ribbon with it. We still laugh about sneaking wierd adjuncts in post-carbonation to mess up a style just to see if you can find a category to enter it in.
    gcamparone and Fujii13 like this.
  10. LeRose

LeRose Member

Wouldn't it foam like a gusher? Thinking like Mentos and soda...providing nucleation sites?