Adding Lactic Acid for extra sourness

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by DeutschesBier, Jan 29, 2013.

1. I have a Berliner that has been been around 1.003 for a little over a month now, and I plan on bottling it soon. This is the 3rd Berliner I've done, and I like the overall flavor profile the better than the other two....but it is just missing that little extra bit of sourness that a good Berliner should have. It's definitely a little tart, but I would like a bit more.

I was thinking about adding some Lactic Acid at bottling. Maybe pour 2oz of the 5oz bottle in the carboy and gently swirl before bottling? Does anyone have any experience with this? Does Lactic Acid in that small of a quantity cause any off flavors?

2. Adding lactic acid isn't ideal, but in a beer that already has some sourness it works pretty well. Dose a measured amount into a sample of the beer, when you figure out the right level scale up and bottle. If the beer is close the acidity from the high carbonation may be enough to get you there.

3. It definitely has some sourness, as well as some lemon, and a slight earthy character from the Brett in the Berliner Blend. I didn't consider the acidity increasing with the high carbonation. I was just hoping adding a touch of Lactic Acid wouldn't add any off flavors....I may start small in this case.