1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Adding Vanilla to Founders Breakfast Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HoyaSaxa7, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Would it be good? Has anyone tried this?

Maybe to make it more general, anyone ever added vanilla (or another flavor/spice) to improve a beer?

This is my last FBS.... so maybe its not worth the risk?

Ryan2BSU likes this.
  2. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I added vanilla to a Victory at Sea and to Ten Fidy a couple of times maybe some other stouts/porters too...just cause i had so many. it was awesome.

But I've been known to add all sorts of crap to beers....(I'm sure there some thread with me posting brashly about this....somewhere)....once I've had them a few times and i know that i know what they taste like by themselves.

FBS is pretty great by itself but if you've already had it a few times and/or can get more...why not? You are drinking it to enjoy it. I personally wouldn't do it for any beer i wasn't pretty familiar with/couldn't easily get again ....unless i disliked the beer and thought it would have improved it.

3. mverity

mverity Savant (440) Florida Oct 6, 2012

I've done similar things with beer. Nutmeg in some pumpkin ales or Christmas ales; ginger in Sapporo or Kirin Ichiban; mixing lemonade or a lemon-lime soda for a shandy; and a personal favorite that a bartender told me about: Xingu with two dashes of chili powder. But I agree with

luwak likes this.
  4. Awesome, thanks all. I vaguely recall a thread about this but I couldn't find it. I ended up going w/o vanilla. It was tough - I'm familiar with FBS but it is one of my favorite beers and I probably won't have it again soon. Still amazing as always.

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Using real vanilla?

6. bonghitta

bonghitta Zealot (90) Washington Feb 24, 2012

Vanilla......... Ice Cream.

7. Sounds like a job for a Randle. Its not a big risk... FBS will be brewed again next year & you can probably buy a full case if you love the beer that much. i would love to know how this "beer experiment" goes! Please post your results if you decide to give it a go!

8. thats a great idea too... besides using a randle with vanilla beans. think of the possibilities...

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  9. Are we talking vanilla extract? Vanilla bean(s)? Vanilla what? I've added bourbon to plenty of beers in order to add a bourbon barrel aged effect - sipping one right now actually - a Crow Peak Pile O' Dirt Porter (excellent) with a spritz of Four Roses to crank it up, but never vanilla. Cinnamon has been a nice addition to some beers as well; I've got a few cinnamon sticks soaking in bourbon in the fridge for home brewing purposes but have used a little to spice some beers up every now and then....at the right ratio it's a nice touch.

10. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

water
    malted barley
    hops
    yeast

works for me every time

Mgm54, jmw and jglowe77 like this.
  11. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

What beers do you add these ingredients to? Sounds like a suicide mission to me.

12. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin makes a milkshake using (512) Pecan Porter. Yeah, that's good stuff.

Ford likes this.
  13. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Add some eggnog and bourbon to it. That's something I want to try but I only have one bottle and I never drank FBS before.

14. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I've got loads of Bell's Cherry sitting around, and never before have I felt the urge to doctor up a beer. Any suggestions? The cherry is far too tart and in your face.

15. One time I made a milkshake with Hooker Chocolate truffle and vanilla ice cream. That shit was amazing.

16. Ford

Ford Savant (490) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Was talking to a chef friend of mine and after tasting he said Stone's Mint Chocolate Chip collaboration would make a tremendous ice cream... if only I had enough to get this done.

17. huysmans

huysmans Savant (340) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

I have been known to pour some B. Nektar Zombie Killer in FBS, vanilla sounds like a good idea, especially if it is quality Mexican stuff. I am all for experimentation as long as it is a beer I know the fresh flavor of. I paid for it, I tried it fresh and "plain", as not to disrespect the brewer, after that, anything is fair game. I respect purists who think this is nonsense and I would hope they respect me.

18. Thought I saw some chatter/news about FBS going to 6pack next year with MSRP being what current 4packs go for...if true, the risk becomes even less significant.

19. Not sure you're referring to vanilla ;)

20. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (360) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

My case of FBS has dwindled down to two 4pks since trying this for the first time a few months back. Go light on the beer, a few ozs in a pint stuffed with vanilla ice cream is perfect.

21. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

True, true. 6 packs baby.

22. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Bourbon.

23. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

if your going to foul things might as well use some baileys

24. unclejazz

unclejazz Advocate (555) New York Oct 24, 2011

I have coated my glass with Woodford Reserve before pouring in my FBS and it is quite nice. I am sure vanilla would be nice too, just realize that most vanilla extract is mostly alcohol.

yamar68 and NYSPHophead like this.
  25. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Haven't done it yet, but I am planning to add some Crown Maple Finished to FBS to make some Pseudo CBS.

26. Why not use Southern Tier Creme Brulee?

Sweet jeebus, I might have to do just that myself.

27. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

If you want to do it, then do it, or you will always wonder how it would have been. If you cant find more FBS, there is plenty here and I could trade you some for locals.

28. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

If you're in the distribution footprint, you should be able to snag FBS just about anywhere. If not, anyone can trade you some pretty easily I'm sure.

29. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (645) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

Just. Don't. Do. This.

30. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Have you done this, or is this just a suggestion? Either way thanks

31. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

A local place is doing a vanilla infusion and extra coffee infusion for FBS tonight, I'm pretty excited. They also did it with BCBS last week and it was one tasty experiment.

sleuthdog likes this.
  32. Because then you have to drink the rest of the creme brulee by itself ;)

(I would also like to note that my iPad just autocorrected creme brulee to crime brulee, I guess it's not a fan either)

fujindemon74 likes this.
  33. I've done it. Loved it. Just be careful not to add to much.

34. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I have done this, I have also gone with a bourbon side car. I think the bourbon compliments the beer nicely.

35. tony32408

tony32408 Aficionado (225) New York Sep 21, 2009

I want a list of all of the crap you put in your beers. Iv'e only really tried mixing beers so far. I want some new ideas. Ten Fidy is one of my favorite beers, adding vanilla to that beer does sound good!

36. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I've had a version of FBS on tap at founders that they used hazelnut with and it was amazing, a bit off topic but...

37. I had an FBS firkin at Founders with Vanilla, Oak, Chocolate, and some peppers. It was one of the best beers I have have ever tasted.

38. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Savant (300) Illinois Dec 2, 2010

With the talk of FBS and vanilla ice cream running about... I have had Zombie Dust and Orange Sherbet...delicious and much healthier than a bowl of cereal for breakfast...i thinko_O

luwak and fujindemon74 like this.
  39. redsand22

redsand22 Aficionado (210) Illinois Mar 17, 2010

I have a 1/4 barrel of this in my garage, I've made bfast stout french toast, bfast stout beer bread, bfast stout BBQ sauce and pulled pork... guess I should start adding bourbon and/or vanilla to it.

luwak likes this.
  40. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

I like to add more breakfast stout in my breakfast stout... :)