1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Adding Vanilla to Founders Breakfast Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HoyaSaxa7, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Where is this at?

luwak likes this.
  2. That's why you buy FBS by the 4-pack or case ;)

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  3. A bit OT, and not trying to threadjack, but I've considered blending ST Oat & Mokah.
    I really like each, but the right blend of the two might be next level, if for no other reason than it packs a bigger punch to the dome/palate than FBS.
    Any one done this?
    Any recommendations to ratios?

I'd guess 60/40 Oat/Mokah blend might do it.

4. jbecke2

jbecke2 Aficionado (195) Illinois Oct 22, 2011

So has anyone tried to pour their stour through a coffee filter with some fresh ground vanilla coffee?

luwak and fujindemon74 like this.
  5. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

I would like to try that at the drinking level - not brewing, but I have had better luck steeping stouts to a glass with such additives in a tea ball for about 5 minutes. Vanilla beans, oily coffee beans (and for a shorter time also Black pepper seeds). Any experiment with stouts that did not work got a shot of Stoli Vanilla to fix it.
    I got two of the DogfishHead Randall glasses, both broke almost immediately, but it turned me onto the idea of infusing other flavors into the glass right at serving. A metal tea ball strainer did great for hops, and lately with the winter coming on I have been putting stuff in porters and stouts.

But please, take the best ones as they are - Founders/Mikkeler/Peche Mortel, etc. I spec buy some bizarrely named and cheaply priced East European porters and stouts - who knows what infamy occurred during shipment, and I feel I can experiment with those. Surprisingly, Sierra Nevada has Narwhal this season, a very tasty stout that is fairly inexpensive for my trials. Anything that doesn't work gets the Stoli to finish it off.

6. I would recomend adding a similar style vanilla beer to it, like a mixture. I mixed stone chocate mint and knee deep tanilla once. Really tasty

7. I've done Vanilla Bean Ice Cream beer floats with Imperial stouts, but only half a pint of the beer.

8. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I have came from left field and I added Sambuca to mine! Coffee and sambuca is a killer combo for me! :D

9. jbecke2

jbecke2 Aficionado (195) Illinois Oct 22, 2011

So here it is, I was drinking a BA Dogfather and this thread pop back in to my head. So I grabbed a cone style coffee filter and a scope of DD vanilla coffee and ran it straight through. What would you know it worked, vanilla/ coffee BA Dogfather, quiet tasty!

Next up BCBS Vanilla/Coffee (only b/c BCBS '12 a self beer here in Chicago, JK thanks a million Goose)...

10. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

i put KBS in chocolate ice cream and it was the most delicious thing i have ever had

11. I made FBS milkshakes the other night and they were a hit. Didn't tell the women what is was until later because I knew they wouldn't try it.