1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Advice for Aussie BA visiting New York, late May

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by spicelab, Mar 12, 2013.

1. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

I'll be visiting New York for a few days in late May, based in Battery Park, and am hoping to cram in as much bar hopping as humanly possible (for a thirty-something male).

I'm leaning towards hiring a pushbike to help me get around and stoke my appetite for good beer and fine food.

At this stage I'm massively psyched about Torst, but am having serious difficulties assessing the pros, cons, quirks and nuances amongst the zillion other venues.

I like pretty much all styles, but favor sours, barleywines and well-made, non-gratuitous hoppy offerings.

I've cobbled together a provisional list including:
    - Rattle and Hum
    - The Cannibal
    - Ginger Man
    - Pony Bar (Hells Kitchen)
    - Brickyard.

Would really appreciate people's thoughts and advice.

Many thanks.
  2. Whenever I go up to NY I usually just stay in Brooklyn. Haven't been to Tørst yet but I'm really excited to be going next week. Other spots worth checking out in Brooklyn are Barcade, Bierkraft, Mug's, Pacific Standard, 4th Street Pub and Spuyten Duyvil.
  3. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Between those two posts, you have a good list for bars/restaurants.
  4. Quackus

Quackus Savant (335) New York Mar 28, 2012

Take Top Hops over Brickyard, and I think you're about right. Particular advantages of Top Hops is that (1) it doubles as a very good bottle shop and (2) it's within easy walking distance of two other excellent bottle shops (Good Beer and WF Bowery).
    dar482 and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  5. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

for sours Torst and Spuyten Duyvil are probably your best bets. I've done Rattle and Hum and that has some great stuff but is dressed up like a dive-bar. Ginger Man has great stuff too and is a little more "classy" if that makes sense. But just check out those bars' websites before you go or while you're here to see what's on tap. (except for Spuyten which hasn't updated since like 2010)
    dar482 likes this.
  6. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Also, BeerMenus is your friend to see what different places are pouring.
  7. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

Except for Torst and Spuyten Duyvil.
    And Ginger Man doesn't update their beermenus page, but their website is always updated with the current drafts.
    dar482 likes this.
  8. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

I personally didn't care for Spuyten Duyvil. Mediocre handful of beers on tap, around 5-8 from what I remember. Then all the bottles were $20+. If I were to spend that, I would rather spend it on Cantillon at Torst.
  9. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

I agree, but before Torst, you really didn't have many other choices for the sours. I am very interested to see how Torst's opening effects operations at Spuyten Duyvil.
  10. dar482

I mean, I will say that I don't completely dislike Spuyten Duyvil. I just went there disappointed as a beer drinker. They had Great Divide IPA and then I felt I was out of options as the beers on tap were mediocre and nothing on bottle was reasonably priced (a single serving bottle).

However, it has a rustic feel. Cool seating in the front. A huge back outdoor area. Cheese, coldcuts, and pickles as snack food. It's in a decent part of Williamsburg so you can bar hop. I would go back, just not looking for beer.
  11. I'm not a big fan of Spuyten Duyvil either but thought that I would mention it because of it's proximity to other cool Brooklyn bars. Their draft selection is okay but the bottles are insanely expensive. Plus, they were out of the first 8 bottles that I asked for. Couldn't they just cross them out with chalk? We ordered one 22oz bottle, a glass of mead, a diet soda and two appetizers. The bill was over $100. I've been back a couple of times but only when I've know that they tapped somehing special.
  12. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Thanks a lot for all the tips. Seems my finger is roughly on the pulse.

I'll revisit this thread prior to arrival to see if anyone is willing and able to join me for a couple.
    dar482 likes this.
  13. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

Before going to Torst check to see if their restaurant part is open, I think it is around May. Going by the Chefs history Torst might literally best in the world for food and beer. I can't wait to eat there but at the same time I fear 2 hour waits to get in. It is just a matter of time before the press turns it into the #1 destination spot in NYC.. The place is great, I don't want to share.

The Top Hops area is good advice. While in that area you should include One Mile House and New Beer Distributors. New Beer is like a museum with a HUGE bottle selection at the best prices.. It just happens to be in a dirty warehouse.

Enjoy
    dar482 likes this.
  14. dar482

Good Beer and Bowery's Whole Foods are also in the area to check out, along with Top Hops.
  15. smo

smo Aficionado (175) New Jersey Apr 11, 2012

This. Probably the most important piece of advice!

Also check out Blind Tiger, they usually have events on Wednesdays and you can find some pretty unique offerings from time to time. Good Hunting!
    JxExM likes this.
  16. unclejazz

unclejazz Advocate (510) New York Oct 24, 2011

Here is my new Queens-North Brooklyn pub crawl.

Start at Tørst(off Nassau G)
    Diamond on Kent(bocce in the back garden)
    Brouwerij Lane(great taps/growler fills/bottles/backyard)
    Alewife Queens(nice walk over Pulaski bridge nice tap and bottle list)
    Sunswick 35/35(great taps and local bar feel & food!)
    Queens Kickshaw(small but great selection and great coffee for a pick-me-up)

Cheers!
    BKBassist, gregkoko and JxExM like this.