1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Advice for shipping from Burlington, VT

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by AleToTheVictors, Feb 7, 2013.

1. [Posting in this regional thread rather than Trading General as my question is for Vermont / Burlington residents only]

Looking for guidance from folks in Vermont, especially from Burlington, about how to avoid any problems shipping out beverages.

Background: I had a good friend from Burlington try to ship me some HT only to have it seized by UPS at one of their processing centers. According to the info he gave me, they had X-rayed the content of the box. I can't vouch for how carefully he packed the box--he is not an experienced trader--and didn't ask much as he was pretty shaken by the whole thing fearing some kind of legal blow back.

Fast forward, a good friend is traveling to Burlington and I am hoping he can pick up some HT and other fine VT brews and ship back.

Not sure if there is anything out of the ordinary that people from VT have done to ensure successful shipping, e.g., which service, special packing instructions.

Thanks in advance.
  2. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

3. FedEx is much cheaper than UPS, in my experience. I print off my labels and just drop off at the counter in Williston, and they never ask any questions. I've shipped ~20 packages with zero issues.
    AleToTheVictors and Fujii13 like this.
  4. Agreed, the one time I used UPS in Vermont they asked questions and gave me a bad feeling that they might look at the box after I left... They must not have, because the box arrived at its destination all right. My other 20 or so outgoing boxes have used FedEX, and there hasn't been one question or any issues of any kind. Maybe the Vermont UPS dudes are really by the book, who knows.

Use Fed Ex!
    AleToTheVictors and sandman3479 like this.
  5. jsled

jsled Aficionado (235) Vermont Nov 9, 2005

I've done a bunch of shipping with UPS, no questions (account online, labels printed, drop-off at UPS Store), no seizing, no problems. Shipments directly to Homebrew stores for competitions, stuff explicitly marked "fragile", "this side up", &c.
    AleToTheVictors likes this.
  6. usps medium size flat rate box will hold 8x heady topper. suggest taping (plastic shipping wrap is awesome) into pairs of cans, then pairs into 1x4 bricks, then stacking the two bricks, with some newspaper padding. declare 'artisinal soda' should anyone ask.....
    AleToTheVictors likes this.
  7. Thanks All. Sounds like there are no extraordinary precautions that need be taken beyond standard best practices. This is what I needed to know.

-Cheers
  8. jamvt

jamvt Savant (470) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

i've always shipped from the fedex office location on the corner of main st. and s. winooski. never had any problems.
  9. Wow, sounds like you got really unlucky, especially since cans are unliklely to break open. Maybe the person manning the x-ray wanted the Heady for themselves. I will add my voice to the chorus of people that have shipped Fedex with no issues.
  10. dunix

dunix Savant (405) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

+1 for Fedex in Williston. Get there before 5pm, which is when their ground goes out and it'll go out that day. I've also shipped many times without printing the label before hand. Never asked me questions.