1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Advice: Out of Country Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerDrinkersSociety, Jan 29, 2013.

1. We recently had some friends move out of country; one to Africa and the other to London.
    We dont know too much about beers outside the US so we could use some advice on what beers these guys should bring back when they come to visit.

2. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Savant (345) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I'd say from England, anything Samuel Smiths would be a good bet, however you can find those in the US, also St. Peters, which can also be found in the US. From Africa, maybe the Kenyan beer Tusker Lager (found in US). I don't know much about beer and Africa.

3. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

According to everything I've read on here, Africa (even South Africa) is a craft beer wasteland. Some of the Brits could give you good advice on securing some bottles, but from what I understand The Kernel (which is not distributed in the US) is a fine, fine brewery.

4. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

You might want to pose the same question to our friends over at RateBeer. I tend to hate on that site more than I should but they do seem to have a more diverse/international crowd that might have some concrete answers for you.

5. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

Africa's a big place and I can't speak for all of it. If you're talking East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda etc) the answer is nothing. The beer there is perfectly drinkable, and refreshing on a hot day, but pretty bland and generic and not worth carting home.

The one exception might be http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9263/55277 simply because it breaks the stereotype that no one outside Europe and North America drinks anything but pale lager.

As for London, every time the topic comes up on BA the answer given is simple: enjoy pints on cask, in a pub. Hard to bring those home, unfortunately.

6. Where is the Completely Useless Post button?

7. I hate to say it, but his post was probably slightly more useful than yours.

OP, for England I recommend taking a look at this list and focusing your efforts toward those beers with under 50 reviews, as that probably means they are less accessible in the states:

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/uk

As far as Africa is concerned, I would ask your friend to just be on the lookout for anything that looks interesting. In all likelihood they aren't going to find you anything that tastes spectacular, but I at least think it would be cool to have them bring back some bad-ass looking beers from Africa that nobody has ever seen before.

8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Please don't kill to try some of their beers. You'll have the rest of your life to regret it.

9. :rolleyes:

10. I call it a draw.

And mine was hilarious.

11. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Africa? You'll do better at the Quik Trip, lol!

BeerDrinkersSociety likes this.
  12. Your post will probably gather better responses on the local boards, but if I had to answer with the one beer I'd like to have brought back from England it would be Timothy Taylor's Landlord.

13. As above local boards are the way to go with this question, however you probably won't get too many more tips on London beer than the ones I'm giving you here.

Check out beers from the following London Breweries (amongst others) ...

Kernel
    London Fields
    Partizan
    Botanist
    Pressure Drop
    Rocky Head
    Moncada

You can visit the top 4 at the brewery/tap house to pick up bottles and have a taste

Otherwise go to one of the following to pick them up ...

Kris Wines
    Utobeer
    Sourced Market
    Drinks of Fulham

By no means an exclusive list of London brewers or bottle shops but this should source you plenty of goodies.

14. Bring back a cask.

15. Holly crap! There is some good advice here! I do think I'm looking for some stuff that I cant already find here in the US. My buddy in Africa is in The Democratic Republic of Congo. He hasnt had much good to say about the selection. He and his wife even did a tour of the local brewery and he said the beer is a step down from a BMC. So I wasnt expecting much from there.
    victory4me, I think youre right. It would at least be cool to have a unique beer that I'll never try again.
    Now Im off to send an email to my buddy outside London.