1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Advocacy LIF ('99 375ml Cantillon Rose up for grabs)

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Greenplastic615, Mar 5, 2013.

1. So, given the events of the last two or three days and a series of posts in another thread, I thought this one would be fun and a nice change of pace. I'm keeping this thread 100% positive. Any negative stuff about anything else that went on in the last three days (or participating in the negativity) disqualifies you from the LiF.

Newbies get a bad reputation. All of us, at one point or another, were new. We didn't evaluate trades in KH units, we probably sent something dumb in a trade/BiF, we enjoyed shelf beer (and hopefully all still do), we thought wales were mammals, we didn't have cellars (we had refridgerators), and we all had a couple BAs along the way help us out, either by helping package a box, sending along a really cool bottle on a wants list that the new person doesn't have the "ammo" to get, or even just introducing someone to some quality people in the community.

So, with the only really wale-ish beer I possess (I believe it's a '99...it's the old label and distributed by wide world imports, but it's almost positively pre-2000), the only thing I can think to do is give it away to someone who's helped someone else out.

To enter: Nominate someone (it can be yourself, or another BA) who has gone above and beyond to help out a new member of the community. It doesn't have to be helping with trading, it can be around anything. Please post the stories in the thread, as the goal is to collect positive stories vs reading a whole bunch of nasty stuff.

This LiF Closes Friday, March 15th, and I will pick a winner sometime that weekend. The winner will be notified via BM, and their box will go out that week. I will also try to send along a few 'shelf turds' with the Cantillon, depending on your location and distribution compared to what I can get.

LiF begins now. Let's spread some good vibes.
  2. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Brabander.

I could tell you a number of stories, but those wouldn't even do his actual actions justice. Furthermore, if I were to actually tell these stories, he would win and would just give the bottle to someone else. It wouldn't be because he hates sours, but because that's how Brabander rolls.
  3. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

MordorMongo. I don't think that guy needs a story. You can look at the BA of the year thread if you want to. He's the sage that grew up to be a comedian. If you send him the beer, be sure to include about a 1000 pictures of Natalie Portman. He deserves it.
  4. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (595) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Alewatcher

He created this invaluable resource for new traders (with assistance / collaboration from ShogoKawada).

http://alewatcher.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-trader-tips.html

That built on the original trading tips done by Goliath back in the day.

Additionally he opened up his house (with some unintended consequences) to ANY BA's who wanted to come out to his first collaboration birthday tasting with Oreo.

Finally, how many folks do you know with the Cantillon logo tattooed on their forearms? (I like to think he uses it for occasional inspiration if you know what I mean...)

Cheers!
  5. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (330) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

I will second the AleWatcher nomination. When I first came to BA, he showed me the ropes. He gave me my first Pliny, invited me to his house for a tasting without ever having met me and introduced me to a lot of BA's I now consider friends. He is the reason I went from a lurker to an active participant. I also know I'm not the only one he has introduced to the community.
  6. futura123

futura123 Savant (330) California Jul 29, 2010

7. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

I second this. I haven't had the pleasure to interact with him personally, but have hear only the best things about him.
  8. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

RetailLO. Without him, we wouldn't be able to show new traders how not to act.
  9. I prefer my Rose where the lady on the label is wearing less clothes than that one.

Alewatcher gets my nomination. Since I'm mildly OCD, I read his post on trading 101 like 12 times before I started trading. Now, my wallet is lighter and I have too much beer. Thanks a lot, jerk.
  10. Nachojon

Nachojon Aficionado (195) Illinois Sep 17, 2011

Randomly signed in tonight for the first time since I moved to the beer wasteland that is Korea, it was meant to be. I nominate Tnudish, first trade, guidance, first beer event (3Floyds 15th/ fobab), general generosity a good friend and a decent neckbeard. I am sure he talks way too much shit to even be considered but anyhow that's my vote.
  11. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Cfh64 with his monster LIF taught lots of us how to be better BAs and better people in general. He put in tons of work for a great cause. That thread was the most positive and fun thread I have read on the site.

Cheers
  12. Neckbeards may also result in disqualification ;)
  13. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (280) California Aug 3, 2011

14. YaKnowBrady.

I posted somewhere in the forums that I hadn't had a Backwoods Bastard, yet Founders is my favorite brewery. The dude not only sent me 2, he hit me with some extras and dealt with me moving to another address at the time. Great dude, and although I had been on BA for about a year at the time and already had a trade done, he showed me what being a good BA is all about. Now I just need to start my actual job this summer and bury him in some beer.
  15. Oh - sorry for not mentioning this initially, but this is US (lower 48) only. Sorry if that leaves anyone deserving out!
  16. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

I appreciate the nomination, but given the current circumstances regarding the initiation of this LIF, I cannot accept the nod. Also, you are meant to pass whatever beer you want forward. Search the forum for "I've never tried" and send that guy something special. I don't need any beer, I'll just take it all from the other MLB jokers when the Giants win again ;)

Regarding nominations, I would have to nominate Kaydogg. He's helped me a lot when I first got into trading, and we trade IP all the time, and he's a stand up trader and all around dude. Always looking out for me, and he blows up his traders he ships to, from what I can tell. I think he could use a cheering up, and this kind of beer is RIGHT up his alley.
  17. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

MEW and Wyatt13....

That's right....both of these BA's were new at trading in the past few months, as I was not too long before them. First and foremost, MEW is awesome. SHE is my Heady/HF/Lawson's hook-up and I have traded twice with her and plan on doing some more trades in the future. Her communication is timely and things arrive well packed. MEW goes out of her way to get some of the items Ive received from her and is truly a fan of all things great beer and I recommend her as a solid trading partner.

Wyatt13 is a Chicagoland BA who just completed his first trade within the past month or so. Like MEW, we are in the middle of a 2nd trade because of the unique and vast brews available in our respective markets...not whales, just good solid, local beers. Our first trade was straight forward on my end...Ohio IPAs (Head Hunter, CBC IPA, White Rajah plus extras for BCBCS and Double Daisy Cutter and others (others being CW BBS, Daisy Cutter, Imperial Biscotti Break, etc). In a recent thread related to trading Pipeworks stuff, I immediately responded with curiosity and, just like that, we are in another trade...just a week after I sent my end of the first one. I am stoked to have a Chicago area hookup and I recommend wyatt as a great NOOB.

Thanks for allowing an outlet for positive feedback on newbies. We all started this hobby at some point and no one has the right to bash the new "talent" that is out there that want to join this ever-growing community of craft beer.

Cheers!!!
  18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

Surprised i'm the first to drop the GrumpyOldTroll nomination. The thing about the Grumpy one is that he doesn't discriminate. He doesn't pick favorites or horde beer...he just slays whales with whomever is around...n00bs, vets, even people who aren't really into beer (yep, he gave my wife a pour of many whales when we hung out and her response to most was "yeah, that's pretty good"). Recent point in example is when he brought all papier variants to an open BA tasting event at Top Hops in NYC. yep, shared them whales with ~40 people. THAT, folks, is what advocacy is all about.
  19. Along with a PVW DL. Was very cool to bring such top notch bottles to share.
  20. cfh64

Brad gets my nod without question. he answered all the asinine questions I had as a new BA who wanted to trade and I would point out the LIF he started after Sandy Hook as one of many times Brad has selflessly gone out of his way to help out others.
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/sandy-hook-elementary-lif.56724/
    and as we saw in the video of the drawing he's just a good dude who has one of the coolest beer caves one could hope for.

21. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

There are many great BAs who have been nominated, so far. I have to give another nod to Leschkie, though.
  22. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Great names posted on here already. Leschkie's shipments are always top notch, Alewatcher, Mongo.

Don't forget Biglobo8971. Runs noob BIF's all the time.
  23. wyatt13

wyatt13 Savant (475) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

Jeez, Andrew, I appreciate the shout-out! You've been a great help as I get started. We'll see how much you like me after you see the damage my boxes do to your porch on Friday though...

To be honest, it is humbling to be mentioned among so many great BAs. The people mentioned above make this community what it is, and have served as a great role model for me as I get started. I do what I can, but there's no way my college student version of beer advocacy even comes close to a lot of these guys. I can only hope to some day be able to show equal amounts of generosity.
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I give all the nominations to Leschkie. ALL OF THEM.
  25. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I will Nominate cbeer88 for the noob BIFs he has put on. That takes a lot of work above usual due to the learning curve of all of the members, plus there is a higher risk of failure over other BIFs
  26. Leschkie is a real advocate, I nominate him.
  27. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

This!!!
  28. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (330) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

I have to agree with the nomination of GrumpyOldTroll... What a phenomenal trader, not only did he blow up my porch but he always takes time to answer all my stupid questions. He's a stand up trader for sure.

Not to take away from the many awesome BA's I've traded with but I have to nominate Russ (huadog) due to the way he treated me when I first showed up. I was trying to trade Pliny for whales (hey, I had to MAIL ORDER it to get it in Michigan so it's pretty much impossible to get plus it's in the top 50)... He showed me the ropes, turned me on to Kuhnhenns, and sent me an amazing box for whatever I could snag at the brewery at the time. We've done multiple trades since then and he's always been over the top generous. He also takes time to answer my stupid questions....

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/just-received-my-first-box-today.28144/

There's the original haul / thank you thread...

Russ is the man

(Also aside from just being a great BA, I think this meets the requirements you initially asked for to a T... He went out of his way to help a n00b out, hopefully it's paid off )
  29. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

MordorMongo gets my vote.

I was in search of a King Henry about a year ago, I think it was my second trade. He hooked me up and was willing to add for a bunch of other beers that I was frantically searching for as a n00blet... (KBS, BCBS, Behemoth, etc. - all of the beers that I thought would beef up my street cred). More than a year later, my street cred is still admittedly flaccid, but Scott demonstrated the proper way to conduct a trade and was friendly and helpful throughout the whole process. I've been trying to emulate his hospitality ever sense.

He's a gnarly steezball among less than gnarly dirtballs. Thanks Scott! I owe you one.
  30. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

...unfortunately he never taught me how to spell.
  31. Did you send along pictures of Natalie Portman in the box?
  32. Giving this one bump - two days left!
  33. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

AZDback for me.

He was part of the LNBA Secret Santa bif and I just started my review blog and one day, out of the blue, he messages me saying he has something to send me because he would like to read my review on it. No idea what is was and no idea why he was sending this to someone he really didnt talk to often enough. A few days later I get a package in the mail and it was Deschutes Black Butte XXIV AND an extra of Hop Knot. Completely awesome of him to do for no reason at all and really made my day. Not only did he want to help my blog along and add something fun to review but he also sent an extra in the box that wasnt even needed but was very welcome. The guy is just plain awesome.
  34. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Thanks for the nomination guys.
    I've had a wonderful experience on this website and I have made many great friends. I just wanted new users to have a good experience as well!
    If I win, I would bring this beer to a tasting and share it with several Ba's more awesome than myself... (not trying to sway any votes!)

I would nominate Leschkie as well.
    He has invited me to 2 killer tastings at his house, and now he just had a baby... I'm sure he (and his wife) would appreciate trying this Loon!
  35. I really, really wish I had 3-4 of these to give away.

It's been awesome to see all these great nominations, and picking one person leaves out so many other deserving winners, which I knew would be the hardest part of this LiF.

With that, Leschkie is the winner of this LiF, both because of all of the awesome stuff posted in this thread, and the tiebreaker of just having a baby :)

I just contacted Leschkie, and will get the 'loon out sometime this week.

Thanks to all for the nominations, cheers!
  36. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (520) Florida Aug 11, 2012

Couldn't have picked a more deserving guy. Congratulations Kurtis in so many ways!!!!!!!
  37. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Very cool, generous and thoughtful LIF. I appreciate the nominations and was flattered when I saw my name mentioned. Congrats to Leschkie on his win and baby, he seems to be a very deserving BA.
  38. You're one of the people I'm upset I don't have one for. Your LIF for Sandy Hook was possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen on this site.
  39. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Lol, don't be upset, its the thought that counts, honestly. I know whatchya mean though, when I did the missing pets LIF I was supposed to send beers to just one person but I couldn't do it so I put a nice dent in my supply of beats so I could send to all four people. I also wanted to send more boxes and accept more donations for the SH LIF but I was too overwhelmed with everyones donations to coordinate it all.

It's tough not being able to thank or reward everyone but this is really an awesome gesture on your part and I can guarantee just being mentioned was the true reward for me, as I'm sure it was for the others, not the beer.

P.S It wasn't "my" Sandy Hook LIF, it was ours. I still get way more credit than I deserve, it would have never gained so much attention if it weren't for all of your donations and for Todd and Jason allowing it to happen. But...thanks :)