1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Afriad to drink...

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by danpam1024, Feb 16, 2013.

1. danpam1024

danpam1024 Aficionado (175) Florida Oct 31, 2012

I've crossed some sort of line.

Yesterday, I picked-up a Luchador en Fuego from Clown Shoes. I'd never seen one beforehand and discovered when I got home that it's "rare" single batch. I'm now afraid to open it.

My heart tells me that I bought the beer to drink it, but my brain is telling me that I should save it. For what? I'm not too sure.

At what point do you take a rare beer and finally crack it open?
    Seriously...do I keep it in the fridge or store it somewhere else?
    Have any of you assembled a collection of "DON"T TOUCH THAT!!!!" beers?
  2. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

The only beer I was ever afraid to open was my father's, when I was in high school.
    RStang13, jrnyc, chanokokoro and 13 others like this.
  3. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (540) Ohio May 24, 2011

I am building a new shelf to make room for my cellaring collection in the basement. I have numerous beers "saved" down there and open them at tastings I have where I have my 3 beer buddies over because I want them to share the experience. I wouldn't enjoy drinking the KBS 2012, Jester King RU-55/Funk Metal, Dogfish Head 120 or numerous aged stouts without at least one buddy who appreciates it! But that is just me.
    Shakory and dagimp like this.
  4. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

You should probably just throw it away, then you don't have to worry about it.
    MaxOhle likes this.
  5. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Beer is for drinking. They'll make more. Enjoy!
  6. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

but if he drinks it, how will he ever trade for whalez bro?
    jrnyc likes this.
  7. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

Drink fresh, barrel character and pepper heat is going to fade out over time. You will be left with a overly thin (I assume body will be the same as the base beer, chocolate sombrero) and mediocre stout. With the heat CS is a rather good beer, with the barrel character it will likely be great, with neither it will be meh.
  8. danpam1024

Great advice!
    vkv822 likes this.
  9. It's not that hard people. Drink your goddamn beer.
    ShanePB, vkv822 and baybassboy like this.
  10. I know people will probably give me a lot of heat for saying this but its just beer, drink the damn stuff whenever you please.
  11. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (510) Florida Feb 19, 2008

I used to have that collector's/hoarder's mentality where every single beer I buy, I debate whether it should be saved for that "special occasion" that never comes, or drink it and enjoy it. So yes, I understand how others feel when poised in such situations, especially with the rarer beers.

Now, there are certain beers that I do want to save for special occasions (ie holidays, my future wedding, etc), but the majority of my collection has been changed to "drink whenever I feel like it" status. I also designated a small box into which I put beers that are "on deck", meaning the next time I want to have a beer I must grab one from the on deck box. That way I don't have to worry about whether I want to save the beer for later.
  12. 90% (made up stat alert) of beers go bad every day you don't drink them. Don't let this beer be one of them.
  13. Only open rare beer on days ending with a "y".
  14. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Simple rule.

Anything with chili needs to be consumed sooner rather than later unless you don't want to taste the chili anymore.
  15. WTF? And WTF with the avatar?
  16. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Save it for a special occasion. Like when you wake up in the morning, look through the obituaries and don't see your name. Life is short. Enjoy it while you can.
    fiedler84 likes this.
  17. danpam1024

My wife and I killed it last night.
    No regrets. :)
  18. The base beer, IMO, is weak. This one, however, is pretty tasty. Drink it now.
  19. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

It takes less than 1 second to open it. Do it. Can't go back once you hear that hiss.
  20. danpam1024

The avatar is taken from a portion of some commissioned art that my wife had made for me a few years ago. It's Tinker Bell playing strip poker with Jiminy Cricket. Artist is (late) Pat Carlucci http://patcarlucci.deviantart.com/
  21. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Isn't Tinker Bell underage?
  22. danpam1024

Talk about a conversation going sideways...
    No she is not "underage" Technically...she is always been portrayed as a woman and according to the original book, considered to be over a hundred years old.
    Same probably goes for the Cricket.
  23. Interesting. What a naughty fairy.
  24. :rolleyes:Classic!
  25. Why are we talking about tinker bell on a beerwebsite?
    danpam1024 likes this.
  26. bbrown12

bbrown12 Savant (270) New Jersey Oct 18, 2011

I would think a cricket of Jiminys age would have a black exoskeleton no? I mean, Ive seen underage crickets that are green. Im gonna need some ID Jiminy
    danpam1024 likes this.
  27. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I picked up flying dog BA gonzo once. At the time I was new to craft, and all I knew is I liked flying dog. Then I get home to find out it was a rare find, so I stuck it in my fridge for a special occasion. In the meantime my roommate drank it, so in the end it wasn't worth saving. My suggestion, just drink it.
  28. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Never did I think I'd ever read people discussing Tinkerbell on a Beer Aging subforum on a Beer Nerd website. ;)
    danpam1024 likes this.