1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Afternoon vs. Evening Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheTinDoor, Feb 26, 2013.

1. I've noticed a distinct change in my perception of a beer depending on when I drink it during the day.
    Founders Breakfast Stout was a 4.5 when I had it in the evening, but a perfect 5 in the afternoon. Reconfirmed multiple times, for my palate this is the PERFECT afternoon beer. Somehow I taste more harshness in the evening. For my "Had", averaged out to a 4.75.
    And yes, I suppose I should try this in the morning, considering the name. My wife would probably start looking up numbers for AA if I broke out a beer at breakfast though...

What beers have you had where your perception changed depending on when you drank them?
    Willbfun likes this.
  2. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (660) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

I tend to enjoy beer earlier than later. No matter the style. More awake
  3. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I like to drink my IPAs and pale ales in the afternoon or with lunch, and save my stouts and barleywines for the evening. Hoppy brews are almost like my afternoon coffee; they slap my taste buds around and wake me up. Also I usually don't have time to savor a real big stout or barleywine in the afternoon.
    Willbfun likes this.
  4. I don't really care about the time of day, rather the time of year. I can't drink big stouts or barleywines unless its cold weather. In California that equates to basically a 3-4 month window, 2 months of perfect stout weather IMO, but 3-4 months where I can drink a stout and love it. Other times it just feels out of place and way too hot for it.

That said, I can drink IPA's and APA's all day and night in the summer and all afternoon year round.
    I prefer Sours, wheats, saisons in the spring and summer.
  5. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

ha, this should be merged w/ the beer belly thread!
    I seldom drink a beer before dinner, and usually try to keep it to one (hasn't been working this week... thanks to sucks :mad:) . So, pretty much nothing is an "afternoon beer". If I'm doing a ton of work around the house, I might pop the daily beer early... and in that case, it's usually something "lighter" (my def of lighter = not bcbs)
  6. Nah, Black Tuesday all day long.

But seriously, I could never convince myself that a beer tastes better at a certain time of day. My thought is that there are always multiple other factors at play I'd overlook. Mood, what I ate earlier, the weather, etc., ...to me, factors like those always make one moment different than the next, and therefore I could never feel like I was able to do a true controlled experiment around this. But I know I'm probably being too anal and scientific about it.

Still haven't brought myself to drink beer with breakfast for similar reasons the OP stated. Plus I like my coffee too much.
    beerandcycling88 likes this.
  7. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

I don't know if the time of day changes my taste perception but I tend to drink beers that get better as they warm at night, because I usually have more time to let them sit.
  8. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Only drinking FBS in the afternon is taking snobbery to a higher level.
  9. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

imho, this is too hard to nail down. the individual making this assertion could routinely be in a different state at different times of given days. i have kids. i know my morning time is usually rushed/crammed, afternoons too. evenings not quite as much, but often i'm beat by then. i know that beer, cigars etc. etc. don't taste as good when i'm under the gun - they're much better when i'm relaxed &/or sharing the experience with someone like minded.

OTOH, i also don't like to go to bed on a bunch of heavy stuff, so the evenings that i do pour, depending on the time - it's usually something not too big ("big" both in bottle size & style).
  10. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (345) California Jan 15, 2010

Saisons and sours all day everyday.
    Willbfun likes this.
  11. Trust me, I'm happy to drink FBS whenever I have it. Just mentioned that I've enjoyed it more during the afternoon.

Agree with some of the other comments, there's likely multiple reasons; most of it could be that when the kids & wife are napping, I have a great beer in hand, and there's a good game on, life in general feels pretty damn good.
    fredmugs likes this.
  12. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (585) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

I've noticed that Farmhouse Belgian Sours are not a good option at 3:00 am.

Other than that, I'd tend to agree with the trend of earlier rather than later, especially if I'm having 2-3 beers. I like to have the best one first, regardless of the color of the beer. Usually, it's a beer I want to review or take notes on to see if I'll repurchase it, then I'll have one or 2 homebrews. I am usually just conscious that my perception will be different of the commercial beer if my mind and palate have already been influenced by a little bit of alcohol.
    Willbfun likes this.
  13. I prefer to at least start drinking in daylight and since my drinking is 99% during weekends, it's not too difficult.
    The beer doesn't matter, it's just a personal preference.
  14. I find that drinking in the morning always brings out the best in beers. Unfortunately I have many "stakeholders" that insist that I hold off until after lunch (at the earliest).
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  15. klinger

klinger Aficionado (160) Ohio Oct 9, 2012

Quite honestly, I've only had FBS for early tailgates. It IS breakfast! Move on to lighter pales and IPAs as the day progresses.
  16. tstigz

tstigz Savant (290) Illinois Dec 6, 2010

I like lambics for brunch and into the afternoon. I like heavier beers later.
  17. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (170) New York Dec 25, 2008

I prefer IPAs and other lighter beers pre-dinner, and stouts and other darker beers post-dinner (as dessert!).
  18. jman005

jman005 Savant (460) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

It's just that your taste buds are much more fresh early in the day. Rather than at night after they have become diminished.
  19. I like big IPA's before bed...those hops make me sleep so well.
  20. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I think I'm an early evening sort of person. Between 4 and 7 is optimal for me. I have the time to snap some photos, write up my notes and enjoy the beer without a lot of interruptions. But as for my palate? I don't think the time of day matters as much as the season, the distractions around me and if I'm eating while drinking. Those factors change the way I view a beer more than the time.
  21. Generally speaking, I enjoy the lighter stuff (Bud Light, Mickey's) earlier in the day and the heavy duty stuff (Budweiser, Heineken) in the evenings.
  22. VS. Morning?
  23. This is why most spirits tastings are done before lunch hours.
    jman005 likes this.
  24. Before 10am it's IPAs and after noon I'm game for whatever
  25. LizzyD

LizzyD Initiate (15) Feb 25, 2013

I only drink beer during weekends. Regardless of the kind, I prefer to drink at night. It gives me a goodnight sleep all the time.
  26. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (565) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

For me it all depends on how full I am. Beer tastes best to me when I am hungry so my most enjoyable beers are late afternoon before dinner. I've tried to sit and have a world class beer after a huge holiday meal, and have had to drainpour because it makes me feel sick. Drinking it pre-meal, and it would have been incredible.
  27. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (565) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I just hate those busy days when you finally get a chance to sit down and want to have a beer and notice its too close to bedtime, then you have to decide if its worth busting it open to drink vs being woken up an hour after you fall asleep to go pee.
  28. True. That is why most professional wine tastings are held in the morning.
    jman005 likes this.