1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Aged beers that shouldn't be aged

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by SeaOfShells, Jan 15, 2013.

1. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Member

Ahoy!

On a trip to Arizona over 2 years ago, I snatched up a 6 pack of Bells Expedition (I've been drinking one every 6 months, I have 2 left), and a 6 pack of Bells Cherry Stout. I didn't really care for the cherry stout for numerous reasons. They sat in the back of the fridge until I decided to try one last night.

Bells website gives the cherry stout a shelf-life of 12 months. When I drank one last night though I can honestly say that it has improved. The fake cherry/cough syrup flavor wasn't as apparent and it allowed more of the stout qualities to shine through.

Anyone have a similar experience with a beer that wasn't "meant" to be aged?
  2. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Member

Cherry Stout is the one Bell's beer I wish Bell's would lose the recipe to, indefinitely.

To your question though, the beer that I enjoy aged that isn't meant to be aged quite as much is Boulevard's Harvest Dance. That beer opens up so much with about 18 months on it and goes from being a very citrusy wheatwine to a wheatwine made of pure awesome.
    cityofFestivals likes this.