1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Aged Ten Fidy

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by SeaOfShells, Jan 11, 2013.

1. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I've only ever had fresh Ten Fidy (because it flys off the shelves so fast, and I can't hold onto it), but last night I snatched up a 4pk that was canned on 10/07/10.

How does this stuff age? I'll get a fresh 4pk to compare.

As an added anecdote, I convinced the salesman that the beer had gone bad. He gave me the 4pk for $6.

JxExM, Clonies720, Zach136 and 3 others like this.
  2. jdhende

jdhende Savant (365) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

Aged Ten Fidy - Is Awesome

3. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Aged ten fidy is great. How much was the store asking originally?

4. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Wow, winning!!

5. SeaOfShells

Dude, they wanted $17.99 for it. I shop there often, and they overcharge for everything so I didn't feel bad swindling them.

JxExM likes this.
  6. Steal. That salesman should be fired.

7. I would be so pumped if I bought a 4pk of two year Ten Fidy for $18. You won this round.

8. Well played good sir! It ages well and that's a freakin steal.

9. Jeez, one of you talks a salesman into selling you a beer at a lower price since it's "gone bad" (aged for you for free) even though you know you'd rather have it than fresh, and the other guy wants to fire the poor man who didn't know any better.

Is this what the craft beer industry has become?

gjahn123, hoppy99, Shagtastic and 3 others like this.
  10. He's a salesman, shouldn't he know better?

Zach136 likes this.
  11. SeaOfShells

Wait, wait, wait. When did I say I'd rather have it fresh? I said I've ONLY had it fresh.

Also, why should we pay more for aged beer? I found 2010 Old Stock Ale on the shelf at a BevMo for the same price it was then. The thing with this place is, they charge the same amount for fresh Ten Fidy. It was taking up shelf space, and I'm sure It's not going to put them out.

12. SeaOfShells

This.

The place has TONS of craft beer. I can walk in there any time and get a 2010 Old Guardian. They have cases of it. If you sell that much craft beer you should know what you have. Also, as I stated, I frequent this location, they know me, and they overcharge by $2 or $3 for everything.

13. I would bet 90+% of salesman in liquor store would not know better. Not 100%, but very high. It's not expected of them at most places.

14. I said you'd rather have it aged than fresh, but that was a poor assumption on my part. Either way, you knowingly led the man astray at a place you frequent.

15. SeaOfShells

Well, to be fair, when I showed him the canned on date, he gasped. He was prepared to give me a discount anyway. I just swayed him a little more is all. And now that you mention, sure I feel bad, but this is just going to want to make me shop there more.

bifrost17 likes this.
  16. This is true, although they should know and it should be expected of them (being a salesman an all). Working at a beer store, that's a huge discount for any product.

17. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I'd be curious, but from tasting it fresh, I don't see how it would really improve. It already had no alcohol burn, was extremely smooth, and was very balanced with the roasted malt.

bilboTbaggins and founder26 like this.
  18. Leo's Liquor?

19. SeaOfShells

You've found me out.

20. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (345) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

Unfortunately, it is. The internets haven't helped either.

The OP got an admittedly awesome beer, and for that, he completely deserves to brag about it. Except that he knowingly deceived a place he frequents and affirmed that he is, in fact, a douchecanoe.

21. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (510) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

No. A lot of people only know what their distributor tells them. Not every beer manager knows their shit.

gjahn123 likes this.
  22. SeaOfShells

Douchecanoe. Can I use that one? I like it.

If you read the above posts, I tried to plead my case. The dude was willing to give me a discount anyway, and I'm definitely not going to tell him that he shouldn't. I did, however, persuade him to give me a larger discount, but he really didn't seem to care either way. Like I said, I freed up some shelf space, and got an awesome beer in the process. I'll pay retail for the rest that's there.

23. I have purchased four packs of Ten Fidy about a dozen times in the past few years and I always say I am going to drink two and sit on two. None of them have ever made it more than a week or two. I need someone to buy a four pack and sneak it into the back of my cellar.

ediaz likes this.
  24. COBeerBuff

I wish I could claim it, but some guy overheard a 13-year old girl use it in Macy's a year or two ago, used it on here, and Voila!

Getting the discount isn't a bad thing. I think all of us would buy Ten Fidy at a discount if we could. Convincing him it was bad to get a bigger discount is the douchey move, especially since you said it's a place you frequent and "they know you."

25. cLin

cLin Aficionado (185) California Jul 21, 2010

In my experience, Ten FIDY has been best with 1-2 years on it. After year 3, it kind of falls down a little bit (but still tasty).

26. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

What changes after 1-2 years, in your experience?

27. Was it on the shelf or in the top secret beer cave?

28. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

After doing a 3 year vert I can't see why you should age this beer, its perfect fresh

29. ColdOne

ColdOne Advocate (545) New York Jan 19, 2013

Jury seems to be out on cellaring the Ten Fidy.

Meanwhile, a question: is aging in a can okay? I know, it's a total newbie question, but still.

Just bought my first 4-pack of this.

30. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (350) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Aging in a can is perfectly fine. Cans keep all the light from hitting the beer directly. Legit question.

ColdOne likes this.
  31. prodigo

prodigo Zealot (85) Massachusetts Mar 4, 2011

Yup, I second this. I worked at a liquor store where the beer manager didn't even drink beer, and this was a pretty upscale place. To many it's just a job. The craft beer industry is fast paced, and there are countless more important things for a beer manager to understand that take precedence over aging.

32. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

You shouldn't ever feel bad about negotiating on price. The knowledge asymmetry is in favor of the proprietor in about 98% of transactions.

ArrogantB likes this.
  33. My store has multiple 4-packs of 12/2/10 dated Ten Fidy cans. I'm on my 2nd pack between drinking them and sending them out as extras. It's freaking delicious.

Sonofalime likes this.
  34. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

I just bought 9/21/11 and its outstanding. WOW

35. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Was it waxed? Needs to be aged properly you know.

Sonofalime likes this.
  36. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

It's canned. All the Ten Fidy I find is canned around 10/2011 If it still tastes good it ages well in my book

37. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

not understanding how this is "douchey"? sounds like he successfully negotiated his way into a discounted price for a beer that's been sitting god knows where for 2+ years, which is somewhat of a risky purchase. it could very well have gone bad.

the only thing that's douchey here is a liquor store that sells 4 packs of ten fidy for 17.99

38. COBeerBuff

If purchasing aged and canned Ten Fidy is a risky purchase in your eyes, I can't really speak to that. The douchey part of this, as I explained in my posts a month ago, was knowingly deceiving your local shop to save a few bucks. If I owned a store and one of my regulars came in and lied to one of my employees to get a better deal, I'd politely tell him his business was no longer welcome. Respect for your customers is the number one priority, but it's a two-way street. I wouldn't want that kind of baggery in my place of business.

Bluecane likes this.
  39. Did a vertical of 09-12 in November. 10 was the best. I wouldn't hold onto it much longer

40. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

to the casual craft drinker (not an obsessed nerd that frequents the beer cellaring forum, such as you or I) buying a two year old beer might be a risky move and negotiating a discount is pretty reasonable. if the dude at the store didn't want to hear it, he could have told him to F off. but he didn't because he wanted to sell some beer. because, you know, it's a business.

it's probably a good thing you don't have a shop, because you'd probably run yourself out of business. asking a regular customer to never return for trying to get a discount on an outdated beer?? that's pretty over the top.