1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aging BB Vanilla DL

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by cfh64, Jan 26, 2013.

1. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (730) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I feel like a rookie even asking this question because I already know what alot of people will say "if you've never had it drink it now". I understand that but here's the dilemma.

I've been guitly of hanging on to this beer for almost a year now because it is the pride and joy of my cellar. Like others, I enjoy just "having it" or saving it for a special occasion. I've also come to realize many "hyped up" beers I've had either weren't all that or I did them a disservice by hanging on to them too long, probably a combo of both. I have more recently joined the mindset of "fresh is better" in most cases. Damn I ramble...

Alright, so I do think regular DL is a beer that vastly improves with age but vanilla probably/does fade with age. This beer seems like a double edged sword. Anyone with experience or advice? and, yes, I am getting ready to drink it now, most likely ;) but am curious to hear if further aging it will actually help it more a la Dark Lord.

Thanks

2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Honestly since last year was first time bottled in this variation, and on top of that each year DL is a different beast to begin with, I don't think anyone KNOWS the answer.....won't stop people from opining, just sayin'.

Just a gut feeling but I think the vanilla will slowly fade but still be around for a bit...I have heard people say it has faded recently from when they first had it....but I don't know how they can say for a FACT that wasn't bottle variation or some other factor, etc.

First world problems and such, bro! ;)

Hoppenheimer and cfh64 like this.
  3. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

We opened a bottle of Brandy Vanilla '11 a month ago or so and there was still tons of vanilla flavor...like booze-soaked explosively flavorful barrel-aged marshmallows. Different beer, yes - but we certainly didn't want for vanilla.

cfh64 likes this.
  4. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Yeah, that beer was such a vanilla bomb fresh (much like BCBVS) that I would think it should hold up for a while. Back around the release, I tried to trade for a bottle with the sole intent of letting it sit for a year or two. Personally I think once the vanilla calms down a little bit it will be a much better beer.

cfh64 likes this.
  5. cfh64

So by you saying "different beer, yes" I'm assuming you had it fresh as well. Just out of curiousity, which did you prefer more, fresh or aged? Yes, I'm referring to the Brandy Vanilla.

All very good points so far. I never even thought of the the fact that there would be very little info on this since its so limited and its only been a year. I can only imagine there are just a handful of people that have had it fresh and within the past month or so that would be able to chime in. I appreciate everyones feedback anyways.

6. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

You should solve this dilemma by trading it to me :D

Shmeal and cfh64 like this.
  7. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

for some reason i thought you were referring to bourbon vanilla '12, not the brandy vanilla '11, which is what i meant by "different beer, yes." i realize that makes no sense now, sorry haha.

8. DONT. AGE. WHALEZ.

THIS. IS. CRAZY. TALK!!!

DRINK. IT. NOW.:)

9. cfh64

Lol, I promised one of my trading partners I would save it to drink with him and his buddy. Problem is he lives in NM which isn't too far but he would have to travel. I'm waiting on an answer. Hopefully he can make it and we'll put a nice dent in my cellar and drink the damn thing :)

10. There ya go! Now your talkn!

cfh64 likes this.