1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aging beer in cans? Newbie Question...

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by KevinGordon, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I'm curious about something. I have several porters, and stouts that I'm trying to age for a year or more. But I'm wondering about some beer in cans? Should beers like OB Ten Fiddy or 21st Amendment Marooned on Hog Island be aged in their cans? I imagine there has to be a factor of aluminum leeching at some point? To be sure, I love beer in cans, there is quality in cans. But long term?
  2. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

I had a 2010 Ten Fiddy last year courtesy of Rempo and it tasted just fine :) I think you should be good
    fredmugs likes this.
  3. dbossman

dbossman Savant (430) Nebraska Apr 27, 2009

I have had a 15 year old bourbon barleywine on tap (kegs are big cans) that was sublime. I also just had a n '09 ten fiddy that was fantastic. The aluminum won't leech into the beer. You are fine.
    MrHolland10 likes this.
  4. Kegs are "big cans" made of stainless steel and beer cans are aluminum with a thin water-based polymer lining to protect the beer from reacting with the metal.
    Horbar, dvelcich and pschul4 like this.
  5. thanks for the info!
  6. Letting those beers sit in cans should be fine, just can't guarantee you'll prefer the end result over fresh.
    Only one way to know though.
  7. I was wondering the same thing. I bought Ten Fidy recently and was considering aging a couple cans.
  8. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

It'll age just as well as it would in bottles. Like someone above said though, that doesn't mean it'll be any better than it is now. It'll just be older.
  9. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Aging cans for a few years should not be a problem. In fact, cans are the best medium to store beer because light is what damages beer more than anything. Heat is second. I would say you will be fine for some time to age.
  10. Cant really speak for the others but i know Oskar Blues spends alot of time/money/technology on their cans to ensure freshness and durability and yes, when speaking to the rep at a beer dinner he did say they can be aged but pretty sure he was mainly talking about Ten Fidy. Like JM03 said im not too sure itll change in complexity though.
  11. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Agreed. Ten Fidy only for them.
  12. Oskar Blues beer cans are from Ball - the primary manufacturer of beverage cans in the US, and the same supplier for many soft drink and "macro" breweries, including AB, MC, Coke and Pepsi.
    Craft brewers, Ball share a do-can attitude