Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...
Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest BeerAdvocate updates delivered to your inbox.

Aging Beers You Shouldn't Age

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mkennedy119, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mkennedy119

mkennedy119 Savant (385) Illinois Nov 13, 2011 Subscriber

I'm wondering if anyone has had a beer that has aged surprisingly well that probably shouldn't have?

I just had a Zombie Dust that I had set aside from last year and somehow forgot about until now. Drank it last night and it was still amazing. I'm not saying it improved, but I noticed very little dropoff in quality. Still a Citra blast to the face.

Samichlaus82 likes this.
  2. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Nov 4, 2008 Verified

Lake Placid Ubu Ale. Went from a decent brown ale to a monster coffee strong ale. Two years will do a wonder and I suggest y'all give this one a shot!

3. jtmiller03

jtmiller03 Savant (260) Oklahoma Feb 2, 2008 Verified

They say IPAs should be enjoyed fresh. One exception I have found is Avery Maharaja. There is nothing better than an 18-36 month old Maharaja. Wow.

4. And they're somewhat easy to find still sittimg on shelves at that age also, with no price increase for the age to boot!!!!

OP - Celebration Ale & Ruthless Rye.

5. Onizilla

Onizilla Savant (300) New York Apr 25, 2009 Verified

I had an 07 Maharaja in 2012 and it turned into one of the best barleywine's i've ever had. Damn, How I wish the little shop I found it in had more. Mmmm

6. I like Great Lakes Nosferatu with 12-18 months on it.