1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aging Beers You Shouldn't Age

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mkennedy119, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mkennedy119

mkennedy119 Savant (350) Illinois Nov 13, 2011

I'm wondering if anyone has had a beer that has aged surprisingly well that probably shouldn't have?

I just had a Zombie Dust that I had set aside from last year and somehow forgot about until now. Drank it last night and it was still amazing. I'm not saying it improved, but I noticed very little dropoff in quality. Still a Citra blast to the face.
    Samichlaus82 likes this.
  2. Lake Placid Ubu Ale. Went from a decent brown ale to a monster coffee strong ale. Two years will do a wonder and I suggest y'all give this one a shot!
  3. They say IPAs should be enjoyed fresh. One exception I have found is Avery Maharaja. There is nothing better than an 18-36 month old Maharaja. Wow.
  4. And they're somewhat easy to find still sittimg on shelves at that age also, with no price increase for the age to boot!!!!

OP - Celebration Ale & Ruthless Rye.
  5. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

I had an 07 Maharaja in 2012 and it turned into one of the best barleywine's i've ever had. Damn, How I wish the little shop I found it in had more. Mmmm
  6. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

I like Great Lakes Nosferatu with 12-18 months on it.