1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aging Coffee BCS

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by SkiBum22, Dec 21, 2012.

1. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Savant (400) New York Oct 18, 2009

What are peoples thoughts on aging Coffee BCS? I have the opportunity to get some extra bottles. I love this beer fresh but if I'm going to spend the extra money to get more bottles I'd like to put some down.
  2. It's intended to drink fresh, I haven't seen any improvement on 11 or 10, I feel that if you want to mellow the coffee flavor just drink regular bcs
    InVinoVeritas and Gonzoillini like this.
  3. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

don't. if you want to see what it'll taste like after a year, just open a bottle of '11 BCBS.

or you can buy the extras and trade them, preferably to me.
  4. I like Bourbon County Coffee with a little bit of age on it. We opened '10 and '11 at a big Bourbon County tasting back in the summer, and I know I preferred the '10 to the '11, and the '10 still had some coffee character to it.
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  5. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Savant (400) New York Oct 18, 2009

Thanks for the feedback. I had 9 month old bottle of '11 a few months back and thought it was amazing. Made me think this beer could hold up well for at least a couple years.
  6. Yeah, I prefer the base BCBS beer to make up more of the flavor, with the coffee being in more of a seondary role. Plenty of people prefer it as more of a coffee bomb though and want it fresh.
  7. The coffee fades. It doesn't get bad or anything, it just starts trending toward tasting like regular BCS with less and less coffee at the front end. However, even after 1.5-2 years there still seems to be a bit of coffee flavour on the finish/back-end.
  8. John L. from Goose Island says in a you tube video about BCBS Coffee that it is meant to be drank fresh. I will take the advice from the guy who is the brains behind the brew! I have also drank aged 2010 and 2011 BCBS Coffee and completely agree that the fresher it is the better it is with every bottle of BCBS Coffee!
  9. pest

pest Savant (375) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

I wouldn't be afraid to grab a couple extra to get you through till next year. People act like the coffee falls off a cliff, which has not been my experience.
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  10. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Exactly this. Doing a BCS Coffee vertical taught me to drink mine as fresh as possible, the difference is major.
  11. will1256

will1256 Savant (370) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

I opened a 2011 on New Years Eve and while the coffee was a little more mellow than a fresh bottle, it still tasted great and maintained a decent amount of coffee flavor. It just depends on what you like. If you love a coffee bomb, you may not enjoy an aged bottle as much, but it's certainly not bad with a year on it.