1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aging Coffee Success

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by fastenoughforphish, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I know a lot of people say don't age FBS as it loses all the coffee flavor, but are there any people with success aging coffee beers (even if it loses coffee, but ends up still tasting great). Just interested in peoples experience with coffee and time.

On a separate note, anyone Night Stalker, I read a review of aged 2010 Night Stalker for 2+ years that came out tasting just like BCBCS which I found to be pretty awesome! I know the current bottle says keep at most 180 days, but I am assuming that is based on the expiration of the dryhopiness.

2. I guess people don't age beer mixed with coffee.​

3. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

I'll let you know in a year when I open my bottle of whiskey rodeo.

4. i'm throwing pipeworks coffee abduction into the cellar. we will see. i am sure it will taste awesome... i mean, IT'S BEER!

NSK79 likes this.
  5. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (565) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

might hang on to a bottle of hardywood's sidamo coffee RIS

6. jaasen64

jaasen64 Savant (460) Massachusetts Jan 15, 2012

Coffee fading fast is a little bit of a misconception in my opinion. I think it mainly depends on the beer.

I've had FBS with a little over a year on it and it still tastes pretty good. The coffee fades a little bit, but not that bad. I wouldn't recommend aging it for a really long time though. I've had Peche Mortel with 2 years on it and 10 years. The 10 year bottle held up really well and surprisingly still had a ton of coffee in it and was really good. I'll be doing a '10-12 BCBCS vertical soon so I'll report back on that.

7. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

I've had the same result w/Peche Mortel. I'd love to know where they got the coffee flavors from.

8. I've had some good experience with aged Speedway. The coffee definitely faded a bit but I feel the beer opens up a bit and becomes a different beast. One of the few beers I enjoy fresh and aged.

Auror likes this.
  9. ruuustin

ruuustin Disciple (50) Tennessee Jan 24, 2011

I wouldn't go out of my way to hang on to stuff. I certainly wouldn't buy coffee stuff in bombers to age, but if you've got a 4 pack of something you aren't out all that much if you throw one in the closet and see what happens.

10. Bumping this, because I'm confused on this as well, being a novice.

I've heard NOT to cellar BCBCS since the coffee will fade and just ultimately taste like BCBS. I also hear mixed reviews on higher ABV brews like Big Bad Baptist (even though it's BA), Speedway, Espresso Yeti that those still shouldn't aged.

Where my real confusion is if the 6-9% coffee stouts should be aged? FBS, Wake N Bake, Bells Java Stout, Troegs Java Head ... Etc