1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aging Founders Breakfast Stout

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by MVP09, Jan 11, 2013.

1. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Is it worth it? Or since from what I hear it will be produced year round so just drink up.
  2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

I will not say it is a bad beer with age but I am not willing to accept the drop off from the magnificent beer it is fresh personally.
    DevilsCups likes this.
  3. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

From experience, the coffee will fade. I love this as well but will hold off on the stock-up since it will be year-round AND we get 6 for the price of 4 next time around. While I wait, I'll sip on my NG Coffee Stout.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  4. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Not a good choice for aging IMHO. The hops fade as does the coffee. A good rule of thumb to use when aging is to try aging beers that have flavors that seem too bold, hot, or possibly unbalanced for your liking when fresh. IMHO Breakfast Stout is none of those things and totally delicious when fresh.
  5. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

When I first was able to grab a few four packs, I thought I would age some. This in opposite to what I read and was told. I thought it would be fine. I knew I was smarter than everyone else;) Aged FBS, at about a year, tasted like stale, rotten, really old coffee and a bit of alcohol. I say drink it while you got it fresh, one of the best out there. Though, I guess everyone has to experiment on their own:D
  6. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

Had an '09 a couple of months ago and loved it.
    fredmugs and strangebrew321 like this.
  7. You were too busy smanging it, what do you know. ;)
    je1129 likes this.
  8. rolandboy

rolandboy Savant (250) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

just for the record FBS isn't going year round. it will be available oct.-feb., basically replacing all day ipa for the cooler months. can't wait for six packs at the same price! also - good call on the NG Coffee Stout!
    nickapalooza86 and CMUbrew like this.
  9. lilnicky068

lilnicky068 Savant (330) Kentucky Jan 8, 2010

Had a 2011 a month ago and it was great. I know a lot of people say this years tastes a bit different/worse which may/may not be true. But the 2011 I had seemed to be engulfed in coffee flavor. It was great.
    Fluteswell and szmnnl99 like this.
  10. I kept one around from last year to drink against this years. The coffee dropped off a bit, but the chocolate came out more. It's a great beer either way, so it truly depends on your taste.
  11. I have tried aged and th coffee does drop off. But it still is a pretty good beer with age. With a beer this good, it will hold up, just wll be different.
    founder26 likes this.
  12. it's sooo good fresh, just drink it!!!
  13. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

I loved the year old '11 better than the fresh '12. I even thought the coffee flavor was more rich in the '11.
    founder26 and Fluteswell like this.
  14. lilnicky068

lilnicky068 Savant (330) Kentucky Jan 8, 2010

Agreed
  15. Why don't you just hold onto a bottle or two and compare with a fresh bottle next fall/winter?
  16. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Thanks for suggestions. I like the coffee, big reason why I like it so much. Reminds me of ice coffee black with a booze kick. Easily one of my favorite beers, so no aging for me. Gonna drink up and enjoy it being on shelves year round.
  17. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Yes. Of course you are right. Lack of sleep making the brain not work for me!;)
  18. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

What he said. I am doing the same thing.
  19. Aging FBS is probably not a good idea...then again if you're curious, it's a relatively cheap experiment to confirm what most of us are telling you. The coffee will drop off to a noticeable degree.

Founders FIS and KBS are more suitable for aging...though some, not all, will not care for the drop off in hop character in FIS. I imagine some will notice some change in the coffee note in KBS after significant time (wouldn't know, never had KBS :oops:), KBS is a much more complex beer & I know too many people who say they prefer KBS after 1 year.

In my experience, the following non-barrel aged imperial stouts are much more suitable for aging...though you should know that time does not guarantee improvement, merely changes/differences, which some, not all, interpret as improvement.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    Great Divide Yeti
    Southern Tier Oat
    Hoppin' Frog D.O.R.I.S
    Port Brewing Old Viscosity (well, 20% is barrel aged...)
    Ballast Point Sea Monster
    Smuttynose Imperial Stout
    Flying Dog Gonzo (well, it's technically an Imperial Porter, but this will shame many stouts)
  20. Personally it is not a beer that I age on purpose, I do like to have enough to last me untill it comes out again. I keep mine in my fridge so that (hopefully) the coffee does not fade.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  21. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Nah on aging. I held on to a couple old ones and did a 10-12 vertical. Clearly better fresh. Still have one more 10-12 vertical, just going to drink when I'm bored sometime.
  22. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Does not improve with age but does not become bad either. Nice to have when there is none on the shelves. No reason to save any from previous year once the new batch gets released.