1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aging Founders Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by MarkLaFay, Jan 15, 2013.

1. MarkLaFay

MarkLaFay Aficionado (125) Indiana Nov 25, 2010

Anyone do it? I have a 2010, 11 and 12.

Anything I should be aware of before breaking into them?

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Flavor explosion... No seriously, they age awesome, IMO.

JohnB87 and TWStandley like this.
  3. MarkLaFay

MarkLaFay Aficionado (125) Indiana Nov 25, 2010

Would you suggest starting with the '10 or the '12?

4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

are you planning on drinking all three of these to your dome on your own? Personally, I'd pour em all out at the same time, and pour something else as well, maybe Oarsman or something to clean your palate...I'm a huge whore for Side by Sides, personally. If you drink the 10 first, then the 11, I think your palate will be hard pressed to find any noticeable differences.

JohnB87, TWStandley and szmnnl99 like this.
  5. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Havent had earlier than '11 but ive had a few '11 bottles this year and they were wonderful and, imo, better than the fresh.

6. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Maybe I will make multiple trips to the U.P. this year!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  7. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (260) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

Had a 10 the other night. Awesome.

8. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

My wife and I just did a blind fresh '12 vs '11. Both were good but we each preferred the '11. The fresh you could taste the elements separately but the '11 was blended and rounded together. I could see how someone would prefer fresh though.

Momar42, Horbar and dsal89 like this.
  9. jverdo1

jverdo1 Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 5, 2012

I second that comment - the '11 is so good right now!

dsal89 likes this.
  10. jverdo1

jverdo1 Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 5, 2012

Forgot about your question - start with '10 and move forward. It will probably give you the best chance of noticing the differences that age brings to this beer. Now if you only have one of '10 and want to save it, don't open it!

11. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

I've been aging these beers for a few years now and every year I buy more to age. I started with holding over a 4 pack and now I'm up to 16 bottles of this years that I'm stashing away. So far I haven't had anything older than a couple years but the 10's I drank this year were fantastic. As Szmnnl99 mentioned earlier, in my opinion it becomes a more well rounded and smooth drinking beer with age, but doesn't lose the individual elements. This beer with a year or two on it is my benchmark of what a stout should taste like.

Momar42 likes this.
  12. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

I still have 1 twist off bottle left, should be an 08. The one I opened last year was sublime, so creamy, smooth, and incredibly well integrated. It is by far my favorite non BA stout.

headyhopzhead and szmnnl99 like this.
  13. I have gotten some over the years but wasn't sure what was best. I live in an apartment with little temperature regulation, especially in the summer. What do you think is better; leave it in the refrigerator or out in the apartment? The temperature swings can be about 66 in the winter and 80 in the summer. The fridge is obviously around 40.

14. aranton

aranton Savant (285) New York Apr 3, 2012

Will the black licorice flavor drop of? I had it with 9 months on it last year and loved it. I can't stand this imperial stout fresh though.

15. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Either turn your fridge temperature settings down and risk spoiling food, or put the bottles in a dark closet that you don't open often.

16. Around the holidays, I did a 2012 vs. 2011 side by side . . . and vowed never to drink a fresh one again. And i love it fresh! But the year old version was sublime.

17. Anyone have thoughts or experience on the maximum time to age this? From threads I have read in the past I think two years is about as long as it should go.

18. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

I'm curious about this as well. In my experience, there's no reason to let it ride beyond a year or two. It's just too damn good at that age to go any further.

19. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

I do like this one fresh but after comparing it to the ones with some age (1-2 years) it just doesnt hold a candle. I will continue to drink one or two fresh to remind me of the taste but all the rest are resting.