1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aging in the fridge?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Lordquackingstic, Apr 11, 2012.

1. So while away from home and at school I've got my own place and I don't put much in my fridge, so I've been using it as a place to age some brews. Is it bad to age beers in the fridge? Should it be kept at a slightly higher temp?

Sorry for the noob question, I've just heard conflicting things about this and I want to hear all of your opinions.
  2. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Aging is not the same as cellaring.
  3. jobbenedict

jobbenedict Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2012

heh? please explain the difference and the physical chemical changes that happen accordingly
  4. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

how cold is the fridge? if it's like 50~55, that's great for aging.

the problem with long term storage in a fridge (regardless of temperature), beyond power cost, is supposedly just that it may dry out a cork. other than that, being in a refrigerator never hurts beer. at normal fridge temps, it will slow down all the "aging process" type reactions in the beer, but that's the only drawback. happily, not all beer gets better with age anyway, and most is best kept fresh in the fridge to begin with.
    Lordquackingstic and jobbenedict like this.
  5. Interesting. I haven't heard that one before and I was about to start looking for a bar fridge to age some of my more valuable beers in. Why would a fridge dry out the cork? I always thought that fridge's had humidity in them, I guess the opposite is true?
  6. Thanks! I'm not aging/cellaring/whateveryouwanttocallit any beers with corks so I should be fine. Thank you for elucidating me on the subject! Maybe I'll start a cellar at home for the corked brews.
  7. jtmartino

Your sentence doesn't even make sense, and reminded me of Ben Affleck's job interview scene in Good Will Hunting.

But I think I understand what you awkwardly tried to say in calling me out, so here's my response:

Aging is a process that will happen regardless of ambient temperature, and may be undesirable. Cellaring is a desirable process that happens under controlled conditions. Beer will age regardless of where you store it. You cannot cellar beer unless the conditions are right.

In summary, "aging" can describe something very different than "cellaring."
  8. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

i keep all my beer in a fridge. i have never had a problem and i find that my beers hold up better and for longer than a friend that keeps his in the closet or in a room or whatever. for whatever it is worth, i know that Stone keeps all of their beers (bottles and kegs) they serve at their annual winter storm in a commercial fridge. those bottles hold up so damn well that i had an 8+ year old 6th anniversary porter a while back that was in really good condition.

i've heard of the cork drying out issue but i have not experienced it myself. granted i think the longest i've had a beer with a cork in my fridge is about two years.
  9. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

I think his response was positioned in that way in response to your ridiculous post that offered nothing to the OP.
    whodeyvols and claaark13 like this.
  10. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Pahn answered it perfectly. Mine is at 50, good balance for beer and food alike ;)
  11. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

Makes me think of something along the lines of "All cellaring is aging, but not all aging is cellaring" lol
    Jmitchell3 likes this.
  12. jtmartino

If you're going to call me out for being ridiculous, at least do it in a way that doesn't make you look retarded. ;)

And point taken.

Damn right!
  13. Ideal aging temperature and humidity are the exact opposite of a home a/c unit. Meaning instead of 70 degrees and 55 percent humidity, ideally it is 55 degrees and 70 percent humidity. Fluctuation in temp is directly correlated to aging. The warmer side of things will speed up the aging process. If you go to the extreme, the alcohol will be cooked and ruin the beer. On the colder side, the colder it is the slower the aging process will be. In other words, if a beer has reached its aging potential in your eyes and you don't want to open it yet you can intentionally keep it colder than ideal aging temperature to make the beer go dormant and not age any further. As far as a cork drying out, that does not mean your beer will be exposed to oxygen. If that is a concern to you, wrap it in saran wrap. -Whit Brannon, Guild of Sommeliers
    getinked likes this.