1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Aging Jolly Pumpkin beers

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by VladTepes, Jan 21, 2013.

1. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (160) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Have you guys aged Jolly Pumpkin beers? What do you think about that?
  2. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Yep, and they are good. I have bought OLD stock that sat on a shelf 3-4 years and it wasn't bad. I have stuff I bought fresh, cellared at 50ish, and opened a year later and it was great. For some reason it tends to sit here, maybe no one can get past the lack of English names.
  3. VladTepes

Interesting.

I can find a few JP's, which are from year 2011. Probably I should buy those and they are still good? How they usually change with time?

Do you think, that those lower ABV (~ 4,5 %) are also still good?
  4. Andygirl

The only low ABV one I have had old is Calabaza Blanca, which, becomes more wine like. It had less hop with spice, more of a combined flavor, like it was all there at once subdued, not in shifts. I hope that makes sense.

If you can get an old La Roja try that out first. See if you like it, go from there. I like the Bams fresh, and Maracaibo Especial I have sitting to age more now, but I expect it to be good next fall.
  5. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

I've read a few different things about bottles exploding when stored for extended periods. Given how every fresh(ish) bottle I've opened has gushed foam, I believe it.
  6. I had a bottle of Cinco Anos explode this weekend. I just slightly clinked it with another bottle and BOOM
  7. Andygirl

Never had one break. Many of the bottle conditioned I have only had fresh. La Roja, I don't believe, is bottle conditioned.
  8. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I love aged Oro De Calabaza
    Rollzroyce21, eawolff99 and Thorpe429 like this.
  9. VladTepes

How it differs from fresh one?

I have had Oro de Calabaza only once. It was about 6 months old. And yeah, it was awesome!
  10. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I think the Brett character becomes a little more forward after some time. A little mustiness, very nice. Excellent at any age but I particularly like this one with some age. I've never done a fresh vs aged of this beer side by side but I'd love to.
  11. YoDude

YoDude Aficionado (170) Illinois Nov 21, 2008

I aged the La Roja 3 years and it was amazing. Best to buy in pairs or more and try over a period of time. Take notes so you know where your sweet spot is.
  12. I bought 2 bottles of la roja, drank one fresh and didnt love it. I dont like the vinegary notes. I still have the other bottle. Does the vinegar charactristic go away when aged, or become more pronounced? I'm still getting used to sours...
  13. I personally prefer most of the jp beers I have had when they were a year or older, a little time allows the yeast to develop and a certain barnyard funkiness develops. It is not for everyone but I really enyoy the extra funk that age brings to their brews
    DrEntropy likes this.
  14. stoked to find this thread. I just drank my first ODC two nights ago, and have a couple others including La Roja that I was wondering if I should sit on for a little bit or not. I might pick up a few more because i almost instantly fell in love. It didnt destroy my wallet and I really enjoyed how it was drinking.
  15. Envelopes

I found a May 2010 bottle of Luciernaga at an off the beaten path liquor store last night. It exploded like a shaken bottle of champagne before I even had the cap half off. I poured a glass and it still continued to foam out the top. Probably lost 1/4 of the bottle. The bottle was dusty on a shelf and took a car ride less than two miles before sitting in a fridge for two hours. I've never seen a bottle go so crazy.

When I had it fresh I remember liking it but it being near the bottom of the Jolly Pumpkins I had tried. This time however I really loved it. The tastes seemed more intense rather than mellowed and it had more of a sourness to it. We had it right after a fresh Noel de Calabaza (which I had previously really enjoyed) and found that the Lucy blew it away.
  16. cmoody91

cmoody91 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

I find most bottle conditioned beers benefit from a day or two in the fridge, see much less over the top foaming etc that way.
    Envelopes likes this.
  17. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

I prefer JP beers with a year+ on them. More Brett, more lactic, flavors a bit more rounded. That being said 2 years on la roja and two on fuego del otono are pure bliss in a bottle
    MightySteede and Thorpe429 like this.
  18. I just wish they weren't so expensive.
    JohnB87 likes this.
  19. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I just drank a 2009 Noel de Calabaza last Friday night. It was very tasty. Aged really well.
  20. This and I wish they came in smaller format sizes.
    Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  21. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

May as well just buy Petrus Aged Pale then.
  22. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Apparently I'm one of the few that likes JP stuff much better fresh.
  23. Envelopes

I've been seeing stubby bottles of Oro de Calabaza lately.
  24. Andygirl

I've seen them in Ohio, but not in MI.
  25. Morakaton

Morakaton Savant (330) Michigan May 6, 2013

Has anyone tried Madragura Obscura aged? Picked up a bottle today of it with bottle date 2011, thinking of grabbing more,if it's great.
  26. JP bottles can be bombs, sucks when half it gushes out. but they age well.
  27. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

I had one with a couple of years on it, all I remember is that it was really "tangy", as in lacto. Would bang again, though.
  28. VladTepes

Yeah....I noticed it....
  29. rjp217

rjp217 Advocate (620) Massachusetts Apr 24, 2012

FWIW, Shaun Hill recently tweeted out a pic of a 2005 La Roja saying it was delicious.
    CowsandBeer likes this.