1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ahh, that 1st SN Celebration of the year...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RBassSFHOPit2ME, Nov 7, 2012.

1. I must say...as a Hophead. I LOVE HOPS!

Fell in love with:

PtE & Y
    Dreadnaught
    Bad Boy
    Poorman's DIPA
    Citra
    Abner
    Heady Topper honerable mention... :p

Point of this Thread - That first Celebration Ale of the year just does more for me than any of these others I mention above. If Celebration were a year round offering, I admit. It most likely would not be in the same conversation. (Completely different profile and not a DIPA I'm well aware...)

But there really is something very, very special about this beer. For what it's worth, 2012 NAILED it IMHO.

Others feel the same way? Disagree?

Healthy debate...GO!

ant880, racer2k, KevSal and 6 others like this.
  2. Havent had the 2012 yet, but its by far my favorite IPA! Possibly my Favorite beer all together! Cant wait!
    My mouth is watering..

3. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

I JUST opened my first about 10 minutes ago! Election night seemed to be as good a reason as any. I agree. I love this beer and look forward to it every year. I don't know if it is my "favorite" IPA, but I can't imagine trimming the Christmas tree with out one...

sitarist and Genuine like this.
  4. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

It's because of the spices.

BrettHead, YaKnowBrady, Ish1 and 6 others like this.
  5. AdamP

AdamP Savant (405) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2012

How does Celebration hold up over time? Similar to other IPAs? See so many people talking about picking up cases of it, but I'm not used to holding on to hoppy beers for longer than a couple weeks.

6. draheim

Surprisingly well. It fades a bit, but still tastes great well into the new year.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  7. AdamP

AdamP Savant (405) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2012

Good to know. Is it pretty widely available throughout the season or should I snatch up whatever I can when it hits MA shelves?

8. draheim

Can't speak for MA, but I see it in Seattle well into the holiday season. They make a lot of this beer.

9. lilnicky068

lilnicky068 Savant (350) Kentucky Jan 8, 2010

Ive got a 2011 sitting in my closet. Kept it just for shits n giggles. Will be interesting to see what it tastes like this year compared to the 2012

10. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

It's just outstanding this year, must have been the weather because almost every fresh or wet hop beer that used Chinook, in my opinion, just hit it out of the park.

Genuine likes this.
  11. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (385) Florida Jan 26, 2012

gonna be opening the first from this year momentarily. i'll let ya know

12. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

queue Yamars picture of his 26 year old Celebration ale! :D

davey101 likes this.
  13. ZEROorDIE

ZEROorDIE Zealot (90) Massachusetts Jan 20, 2010

we get plenty in MA. love this beer, gonna go hunt around and see if i can get some this weekend.

14. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (385) Florida Jan 26, 2012

thank you sir. may i have another?

15. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

All this talk about SN Celebration made me go out and buy it tonight. All I have to say is: HOW IN THE HELL DID I MISS OUT ON THIS FOR SO LONG? Just given the name and packaging I thought it was some sort of christmas spiced stout/porter and never noticed it was a fresh hop IPA.

Genuine likes this.
  16. It stays around till about christmas in MA area from the past few years exp...but as craft becomes more popular beer stays on shelves less so Id be looking to get all this before the holiday.

17. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

This beer holds up very well. Back in September, a local bar tapped a keg of 2011 Celebration and it was great.

18. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Don't kid me, I dig celebration..shit it's in my glass now. But I wouldn't even think to put it in my top 10 ipas/dipas. Obviously beer is always personal preference and I respect your opinion!

19. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I really went bonkers for this last year and it was my first time. At the same time, I enjoyed playing Skyward Sword and having celebration. I checked in to my local store many times and made the 2 mile trip by foot to bring it back! :D

Zaphog likes this.
  20. I'm working on my 4th six pack so far this year! Will buy mostly Celebration til it's gone.

21. draheim

Welcome to the Celebration brotherhood.

22. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

I just had my first of the year tonight, and I gotta say it tastes extra awesome this year. Fresh hop Cascade and Centennial, never disappoints. The best hops stand the test of time

23. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Uggggggggggh I gotta grab a bottle of this. I EFFING LOVED 2011. I love the hops, also this year's Surly Wet was amazing, so far my favorite whet hopped IPA, my fav wet hopped beer was Barley John's Wet Hoped Pale Ale then dry hopped in a cask with fresh picked Cascade from their crop.

I still think my favorite IPA (yea its a DIPA but it was what got me into really appreciating IPAs, seriously) Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree. Just cracked a 2010 not long ago and boy its still incredible aged, can't wait to try a 5 year vertical soon.

24. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Dude...It's my favorite beer. I'm pretty sure SN switched their distribution in Colorado and we don't have it yet. Getting angrier every day. I guess it will make that first one that much better and the rest of a 6er that night even better.

25. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

The bottle also says that it ages well... At least it did when we used to get it in Ohio. Definitely turns into a barleywine.

As for the thread topic, I just had my first Celebration of the year and was slightly underwhelmed. Definitely a solid beer, but not at the level I remember it was at a year ago. I still enjoy the piney resinous IPAs, but Celebration doesn't stand up to many of the IPAs I have tried.

26. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Kicked my (first) keg about two hours ago.

27. Maybe I have been drinking to much Sculpin, but Celebration is not doing it for me this year. I loved 2011 Celebration, 2012 not so much. It is ok, but I am glad I only picked up a six pack. I almost bought a case. What I purchased was bottled on October 4, 2012.

28. Genuine

Genuine Savant (465) Connecticut May 7, 2009

I can't wait to stock up on it. Definitely going to get a couple logs for the kegerator this year. It's awesome having Celebration on Tap at home.

johntangus likes this.
  29. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

I'm kind of new here. Can someone please explain to me what this whole 'spices' bit is regarding Celebration?

30. Believe it or not, when visiting some relatives, I spotted a bottle of 2010 Celebration. Against my better judgment, I opened it. Yes, the hops had faded but it was still enjoyable - kinda like a spicy pale ale.

racer2k likes this.
  31. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Picked up a 12 pack last night based on this thread alone.

32. Getting the first growler full tonite !!!
    CANT wait ....

33. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Got my first 12-pack.... So excited to try this stuff!

[​IMG]

Giovannilucano likes this.
  34. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I had an 05 Celebration on tap earlier in the year. Fantastic! Obviously, the hops had faded to nil, but the sweet malty awesomeness was really all you needed.

35. long time joke, due to some people thinking the beer is spiced and commenting that the spices seem different, origin lost to time but possibly due to confusion with Anchor OSA, in the old days (90s, hell even early 2000s) Anchor OSA and Sierra Nevada Celebration were 2 of the winter beers that most of the country got and not many more than that were nationwide

now everyone makes the "spices different", "less spicy" or more specific like "they really cut down on the star anise" or "I like how much they increased the nutmeg" jokes even though they know the recipe doesn't change and there are no spices.

phooky and FUNKPhD like this.
  36. Pretty easy to find up until Ruthless Rye comes out - then sticks around at the retailers that ordered too much or took more from the distributor in order to get the next seasonal.

37. For me, balance and drinkability is what makes this beer so great.

38. JoeDurp

JoeDurp Savant (255) Texas Nov 5, 2011

Any in the dallas area i cant seem to find any or maybe im not looking hard enough

39. Dont have it in Sacramento, CA, and we're 90 miles from the damn brewery, I'm getting very pissed.

40. JoeDurp

JoeDurp Savant (255) Texas Nov 5, 2011

Wait what thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.....beer related i mean