1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ahh, that 1st SN Celebration of the year...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RBassSFHOPit2ME, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Tell me about it brother. The distributor here in Sacramento is killing me. I'm pretty sure they are hesitant to release any from the warehouse until they get rid of all of the Tumbler.
  2. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (500) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Tried my first Celebration last night , must say it is a damn fine balanced brew.
  3. DR3IDY

DR3IDY Disciple (60) Massachusetts Dec 23, 2010

This thread is making me want to go out and buy a case now.
  4. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Really? Wow, well now I may have to grab a bit more than I planned on just to see how it ages.
  5. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

We just got it in FL. 2+ months old :cool:
  6. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (260) California Apr 27, 2011

love me some celebration cant wait to pick up a couple cases it has not hit the shelves yet around my parts
  7. soughtbygod

Im in bako and we dont have it yet either
  8. nicnut45

nicnut45 Savant (290) Illinois Jan 6, 2007

anybody seen this at Costco yet?
  9. Bonis

Bonis Savant (400) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

FYI, I was talking about the Double Crooked Tree, which I am guessing you know ages like a barleywine. The Celebration I would not age, although I am sure it would still be a decent ale after a year.
  10. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

On my 3rd six pack of Celebration, and my keg arrives tomorrow.
  11. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

One of the few beers out there that are case worthy for me...fantastic fresh and actually ages well. One of the few truly cellarable IPA's out there...
  12. We need to finally grab a beer next I'm in Livermore...
  13. I just cracked my first of the year. Wow! I want me some more. Great beer.
  14. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Definitely. I've been working 6-7 days a week for the last few months, but its finally slowing down.
  15. I'll have to give this another try. Last year I was still so unaccustomed to highly hopped beers that this thing gave me a stomach ache. Couldn't even finish it.
  16. jodan

jodan Initiate (0) California Jul 24, 2008

Nor is it here in Pasadena, should've drank some when I saw it in Minnesota 2 weeks ago.
  17. soughtbygod

pissed
  18. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Had my 1st one last night. Was at Traders Joes grabbing my 2012 Vintage Ales and grabbed a single 12. It was tasty, but was pretty standard IPA for me. Good hops and nice balance but still my 3rd year having this, just dont get why all the OMG!!! over this one.

Cheers!
  19. FosterJM

When are we gonna meet up? I can grab you a sixer. And your brother told me to kick you in the balls.
    That is all.

Cheers!
  20. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I agree. Problem for me I guess is I also have Northern Hemishpere and that is a far superior beer.
  21. Got my first 12-pack of 2012 Celebration Ale yesterday evening. Gonna open my first one of the season tonight. I am counting the minutes...

By the way, if you love hops and if you haven't tried it yet, you simply MUST get your hands on a bottle or two of Fat Head's Head Hunter. It's getting easier to find across Ohio so you shouldn't have too much trouble trading someone for it. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
  22. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Love that spice! :p

Had my first of the year last night. Celebration pron:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DrunkethWizard likes this.
  23. Been agreeing with most of your posts lately, including this one. It's really the malt in this beer that keeps me coming back for more. Balance is the perfect description of this IPA, very easy to have a six pack of, even though at 6.7% you know you shouldn't.

As a side note, I find Cambridge Brewing Co.'s Big Man IPA to be very similar to Celebration. Not sure if anyone else in MA feels the same.
  24. Thinking Narwhal is going to age beautifully.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  25. Can't wait to get this in my area. My two beer guys said about a week. This will be my first time trying this. To the experience celebration ale drinkers: how long do the hops last for this beer? Does it fade out quickly?
  26. racer2k

racer2k Savant (330) Massachusetts May 21, 2004

I actually aged a 2005,2006,2007,2008,2009 and 2010 and did a flight of tastings in 2011. It was quite interesting and most of the beers tasted good but the "fresh hop" presence goes away over time. This is best consumed fresh. I will say that I did detect a few tasting anomalies with the batches early in the release season vs. later in the release season which were subtle but interesting. Despite the popular rumor they do not change the recipe every year. The different state of the hops may alter the flavors in a subtle way but it is always fantastic! Though having this year round would be great it is a lot of fun to have it for a couple of months and appreciate the best beer of the year. Can't wait to get my hands on the first one this weekend!

27. Did you mix the Celebration and Narwhal?
    MagillaGriller likes this.
  28. davey101

Yes. Tried to make a black and tan but it didn't work out too well.
  29. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (265) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

Any sightings in NW Chicago burbs? Still haven't seen any yet and I'm getting Celebration shakes
  30. The spices killed the majestic sea creature.
    davey101 likes this.
  31. davey101

lololololol
  32. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

Is this stuff generally found in grocery stores like Summerfest, or is it harder to find? I haven't ever looked for it.
  33. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Just picked up my first 12 pack of the season last night. Just as delicious as I remember. SO effing good! Brings back many memories
    checktherhyme likes this.
  34. racer2k

racer2k Savant (330) Massachusetts May 21, 2004

It hit the shelves in MA this week and is usually available in quantity until January..
  35. Damn all you guys! It hasn't landed yet here in PA. Damn all you guys!
  36. tfs8271

tfs8271 Aficionado (215) California Mar 14, 2007

Reading about that overrated defense must be messing with your palate.
  37. FosterJM

How can you say overrated? Setting records for pick sixes and touchdowns. No way overrated.

Cheers!
    beerFool28607 and jodan like this.
  38. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

HAHAHA, ok I was very confused actually having tried Celebration today I was like "Yea damn good but...huh not sure aging it"

ok yes I agree 100% DCT ages wonderfully. I am surprised how much hops hung around in the 2011 I opened a couple months ago. Probably due to the insane AV of it I'm sure (more like a triple ipa than double in my opinion at the level it is). I love that beer, had it out of a cask a few times at Firkin Fest and cask DCT is incredible.
  39. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Sierra Nevada all tastes the same. Another over hyped brewery.
  40. Finally came to Spokane today. My goodness, I am happy right now. I am at a friends birthday with my wife and usually I am the life of the party...but tonight I am literally alone in the kitchen, drinking Cele out of a tulip that I brought just for this occasion. I am listening to Stevie Wonder Christmas music and enjoying the hell out of life. Great f-ing night.