1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ahh, that 1st SN Celebration of the year...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RBassSFHOPit2ME, Nov 7, 2012.

1. I liked this post solely for the purpose of unliking it.
  2. I've been a huge Celebration fan since it first came out and I will say...it's my favorite beer hands down. Yes, there are others that are awesome but Celebration is truly great.
    I wil admit though that I'm a huge SN fan. In fact, in addition to the Pale Ale, Torpedo, Old Chico and, of course Bigfoot, I'm sitting on a case each of the 30th anniv ales, the Dubble and the Quad, with the Brix shortly behind.
    But if I'm on my deathbed, gimme a Celebration!
  3. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Yeah, I got in trouble for this post.
  4. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

I'm pretty sure this is a running joke. Because its a winter looking beer, most unknowing people assume its some sorta spiced winter warmer type beer and will note the nutmeg and whatever else is in those nasty beers, when clearly the only thing in it is the ass kicking power of hops.
  5. I just polished off a 64 oz. growler in 3 hrs. For those who think that ain't shit - it ain't bad for an old fart.
  6. haha, yeah I can imagine your inbox full of hate mail from Sierra Nevada fanboys. That was a ballsy thing to say my man.
  7. ding ding! Thats what I was told today, really getting pissed off. Total Wine Roseville said end of the month?? wtf?! But, then again they are wrong most of the time with shipment dates. Might just drive to Davis..
  8. over hyped? Please explain..
  9. Schultz

Schultz Aficionado (145) Maryland Jan 19, 2008

Agreed
    I have two sixtels on order which are due in Maryland any day now. With any luck they will last until the Nugget Nectar arrives this winter!
  10. I hear ya. Kellerweis, Summerfest, and Celebration taste pretty similar. I wonder what magical yeast they use to make a hefeweizen, pilsner, and IPA taste the same.
  11. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Just grabbed a 6 pack, havent had this in two years so I'll see if I like it more this time.
  12. Anyone sightings in Philadelphia suburbs?? Stopped in Wegmans Allentown and Collegeville this week with no luck. I have a bottle of 2011 in my fridge that I am saving for Christmas Eve.
  13. jodan

jodan Initiate (0) California Jul 24, 2008

Well that was mighty nice of him. I'll be sure to take a picture of the beers I'm supposed to be sending him soon, after I drop them on the sidewalk. I'll be headed your way Sunday I do believe, would that work for ya?
  14. Last year they started shipping East first...alas, I must wait, too.
  15. You're right...just had a Narwhal, a Kellerweis, a Hoptimum and an Ovila Dubbel in a blind tasting and had no idea which one was which. Crazy.
  16. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

That's awesome! Last year we went through a couple half barrels and probably 3 logs of it. Holidays are great with Celebration!
  17. tfs8271

tfs8271 Aficionado (215) California Mar 14, 2007

See what I mean?
  18. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Touche. Way to dig up this thread just to shit on my day.

Cheers!
  19. Where the fuck is Celebration Ale? Just last week I was in Reno, Las Vegas, San Diego, Orange County. . . nothing.

This is almost a full month after we used to get Celebration (before Halloween) in prior years.

But rest assured, Summerfest will hit shelves when there's still snow on the ground. . . sigh.

Now its looking like no Celebration by Thanksgiving! This aggression will not stand, man! Seriously though, bunk beds are less bunk than no Celebration Ale for Thanksgiving.
  20. Chris_Cali_2o9

Chris_Cali_2o9 Aficionado (245) Nov 18, 2012

I'm really interested in this comparison. 2011 blew my mind the first time i tried it, but 2012 just seemed to be missing something. Still an awesome brew and one of my favorites, and i'll definitely be buying more, it just seems to me like 2011 slapped all over it.

Can you post the comparison?

P.S. For you cali ppl who can't find it (not in sac? really??) It's all over the place here in the Turlock/Modesto Central Valley area. It might be worth a trip here to pick some up, if your coming from the bay, bring me an Enjoy by 12.21.12! ;)
  21. lilnicky068

lilnicky068 Savant (330) Kentucky Jan 8, 2010

I actually plan on drinking it tonight, so yea i'll let you know how it is.
  22. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

It turns into Hopslam
    beernut likes this.
  23. I agree.
  24. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Already finished my 1st case, me need more!
    tcanaday likes this.
  25. Chris_Cali_2o9

Chris_Cali_2o9 Aficionado (245) Nov 18, 2012

Thnx
  26. lilnicky068

Well the old Celebration was definitely not worth keeping haha. Its much better fresh. The old one seemed a little under carbonated, the bitterness was still there but without the flavor that should go along with it. Kind of musty. I've read that the hops drop off over time and I can now confirm that.
  27. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

I know this will be blasphemous to some, but I had my first SN Celebration the other night and was pretty unimpressed. I can take the bitterness off the top, but I just feel like the aftertaste lingers forever. I could still taste it in my mouth hours later and after drinking a LOT of water. I bought a sixer and I'll finish it to give it a fair shake, but I was disappointed.

28. I hear ya. I think its the yeast they use. Seems like almost every beer they make is overly herbal. Celebration definitely has to be they most over hyped beer ever. It barely has any hop aromatics, let alone flavor. Which is odd because it really has a nice, lasting bitterness. I am lookong forward to trying that Narwhal stout though. Hopefully it isnt as sweet as Hoptimum.
  29. sholle

sholle Aficionado (175) Montana Jan 2, 2011

opinions on SN Celebration with some age?
  30. lilnicky068

What I posted a few spots up was from a Celebration that was bottled exactly 335 days ago
  31. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Its solid!! I love it because when I can't decide what to drink I just grab one of these and I am set!!
  32. sholle

sholle Aficionado (175) Montana Jan 2, 2011

thanks, much appreciated
  33. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

So I haven't tried this (ever!) but I bought my first 6 pack earlier today. Looking forward to trying this one!
  34. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Third year? I have 4 times as many vintages laid down for verticals! :D
  35. I'm drinking a Cambridge Big Man IPA for the first time right now and it doesn't remind me at all of Celebration. It's not nearly as good for one, and weirdly I'm not really too into it. Especially compared to their other brews I've tried so far.
  36. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (260) California Apr 27, 2011

well people can decide if they like this themselves or not but i buy up two cases every year when it gets released and slowly plow through them till about new years " its the most wonderful time of the year" haha
  37. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (170) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

Not having my first one until thanksgiving. Tomorrow seems so long away with that gorgeous case staring me in the eyes.
  38. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

What a hoppy little beast this is. @$13.95 a12pak Big Bang for the buck
  39. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Cel-Arwhal
  40. antilite

antilite Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 1, 2012

True. Everyone has different tastes. But, for me, jumping from Tumbler, to Celebration, to Ruthless Rye, to Summerfest, along with other brews from many other breweries, keeps me enjoying good beer at a decent price for about 6 months. And choosing glassware for each one makes the evenings that much better.