1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Airline question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PSUDREW, Mar 24, 2012.

1. I've had no problems flying between DTW and SEA. I bring beer from Michigan to share with friends, which also serves as reminder to not over pack on the return flight and cause the baggage fees to rise. In addition to clothes as padding, koozies serve as an additional safety measure. As long as you don't have bottles knocking each other you should be good. If you hear that clinking sound, repack. Cans of any kind are bad news. Aluminum cans fold and wrinkle when not in a packaging carrier which creates a small pinhole leak.
  2. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

We bring about 50 beers back each time we travel home to the states. Lots of bubble wrap, and making sure no two are loose next to each other. Put clothes in between them, but as someone said above, you may be at risk with random bag searches. They have opened our bag once and unwrapped three bottles to inspect, and all three broke, while everything else was okay. I guess it is kind of hard to prep for that one.
  3. As previously stated you must check in bags with beer. I travel about 125K miles per year and when I'm heading to places like FL and IL where I don't get distribution I will bring a spare carry on filled with bubble wrap, newspaper and tape. The fuller you stuff your bag the less likely any single bottle is to break. Just last week I checked in my carry on and was able to fit about 5 bombers and 6 regulars in between my clothes without and additional protection other than my normal garments.
  4. As mentioned in the Haul thread elsewhere, I recently brought back 35 bottles & cans from SF to Edmonton, Canada. Not one breakage. I used good hard sided suitcases, a load of newspapers stuffed on the bottom and around the bottles, and for the large bottles I used Wine Safeguard & Wine Sac (this link is for the wine skin, the wine sac has a zipper closure). My work colleague sells the wine sac's, [email protected]. If you wanna buy some tell her I gave you her name and you should get a discount. I also packed every small bottle in a zip food bag, and then just wrapped clothes and more paper around them. Nothing moved in the suitcases at all!! A 12 pack of 650/750ml bottles weight roughly 45lbs, so real close to the baggage limit. Just make sure nothing moves around, and no bottles touch and everything should make it back in one piece.
  5. sammy806

sammy806 Savant (315) Maryland Feb 29, 2008

I ordered a beer shipping carton (http://www.mrboxonline.com/styrofoam-beer-shippers-c-21_476.html) to be delivered to the hotel where I was going to be staying. Called the hotel to give them a heads up and it was sent up to my room when it arrived. Got 15 bottles of beer in it and, since I was flying Southwest, I got to check it for free on the return trip home. No problems. Although next time, I either have to check it both ways or send it out ahead via UPS/FedEx.
    David_MrBox likes this.
  6. Got one of those boxes myself; I'm lucky that I work for an wine import agency, so get them all the time. Airlines usually tag them as fragile and they get proper treatment too.
  7. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

Bump, I absolutely planned on stuffing my checked bag with beer since in out here in SD from Minn. but after opening out bags and seeing toiletries splattered all over baggies and even a solid stick of deodorant cracked up I don't know how I feel about these baggage handlers.

I'll probably still try it and be extra careful with ziplocks and shit. I just don't know if I should tell the airline checkin attendant II have glass containing liquids when I check to see if they will be a little more courteous with my bag.
  8. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

Real men of genius. Getting bottles and bringing them on as carry on sounds like the best idea ever. Can you drink them on the plane? I'd assume no, but there's nothing stopping me from taking a 15 minute rest in the bathroom!

I wonder if Detroit Airport has this... Certainly going to check next time I am there.
  9. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

DTW doesn't have this.
  10. I just checked two growlers last week. TSA did search it, but everything was fine. Have your friends buy a 12 bottle shipper. That way they are secure and if searched it is easy to repackage.
  11. Not true.

I returned from an Asia trip last month with a card board box packed with 10 bombers wrapped in news paper and a glass that got beat to hell and came off the belt wet. (Only one broken bottle. They are sturdier than most people think.) Usually though I pack in luggage wrapped in cloths and never had an issue. This box was delivered (booze delivery service which is cheaper than the store for craft beer) to the airport on a stop over and I didn't have time or the means to repack.
  12. Lots of really good suggestions. I always put 12 oz bottles in my shoes within my luggage and have never lost one yet. Rolling bottles in pants and shirts has always worked well and have never lost a bottle in 10 years of flying on business. BTW, Jerry Sandusky tainted your avatar for the time being and I'm sure they'll bounce back. The whole issue makes me sick to my stomach, especially when it comes to the legacy JoPa built and it ended this way. (Sorry, don't mean to bring current events into this forum.) I really apologize, seriously. I live in PA, not a PSU fan, but I apologize. I expect my post to be struck at some point.
  13. I've had success with the clothes / separation / good packing method..
  14. Nice avatar
  15. I just got back from my 5th trip to Aruba. I really try to dink non-IPAs and this last trip even went through a week long de-hop, drinking Keystone Light (gasp) as my swill stand-in til I got to Aruba. I made it through my first two cases of Heinekin with some issue, but could go no further. There are no IPAs to be found on the island and it is my mission to figure out how to get two cases of IPAs (cans if I can find a good one) into one piece of luggage and be able to check as my $40 second bag. Since most all beer in Aruba is $48, the additional cost will not be to bad. Thoughts?
  16. I have found this type box best for air travel with bombers. 12 bottle there, 12 bottle back! Just recently I was asked to have secondary containment, so be sure to line the box with a plastic bag. Arrive to the airport with it open for inspection and they will tape it shut. I have never lost a bottle. For cans I just fill a suitcase.

And last, but not least fly Southwest Airlines when possible so you don't pay additional baggage fees!

[​IMG]
  17. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Question: If I use a shipper like the one pictured below, are they going to have a problem with it?

[​IMG]
  18. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I don't think they'll have a problem with it, but I am not sure it offers as much protection as the styro one does. If you used that one safely with trades/shipments, I don't see why it wouldn't safely make it on your trip
  19. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

Fact is that millions of cases of beer and wine get shipped from breweries and wineries every year in cases like that and most make it to their destination in one piece , but I wouldn't trust it on a flight. I just carried bottles from TX to CA and back on Southwest with a six-bottle styrofoam/cardboard carrier plus bottles in my luggage without any problems.
  20. MarkIntihar

There seems to be some confusion. This isn't just a regular box with a liner, it's one of these:

http://www.spiritedshipper.com/

Each of the individual slots is thick-walled, and they are propped off the bottom of the box.
  21. The liner I spoke of is just a large garbage bag big enough to enclose the Styrofoam inserts and may not be required by your TSA agent as they can vary by location. The spirited shipper box looks good, and I'm sure it works well, but I personally use the foam insert boxes. Also, placing fragile stickers on the box might help.
  22. MarkIntihar

Awesome, thanks!
  23. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

Ugh, I think I'm over weight, I'm drinking another DFH 90 and a Russian River Temptation....
  24. And where can I buy one of those?
  25. Local box and ship and beverage warehouse type stores are good places to start. Otherwise, just search box companies online. These containers are designed for wine bottles, so shorter 22oz bombers will have surplus head space. In this case crumpled news paper or small pieces of foam can minimize movement as baggage handlers note the fragile sticker and toss it into the cargo area.
  26. When I was returning from Alaska, I was able to weigh my 4 suitcases at the terminal. 2 were over, 2 were not. I literally shuffled beer around in the terminal so they all were under. I flew back 29 bombers, plus some 12 ouncers. And I put a note inside each and every suitcase, right on top..."TSA. Enclosed is rare beer wrapped in plastic and clothing. If you'd like to search, please re-pack carefully. Safe flying! Mike."
    Several have been searched, but (luckily) all have arrived safely.
  27. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (660) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

Quick question - I am traveling to China next month and would like to pack a few beers with me (and on the reverse coming home). The question I have is: Has anyone attempted bringing cans? I'm a little worried these may not be that safe to have in my luggage. Thanks!
  28. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

If you're size 10 or larger and have extra pairs of shoes in your checked bags, 12oz bottles stuff nice and tight into them. Very well protected with most shoes. May not work with some. Saves a bunch of space too.
  29. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

30. Checking an ice chest works well too, brought home a growler and several bottles from Alaska (midnight sun) and packed them well in an ice chest.

Not necessarily related to the general question of this thread, but if anyone has the chance to fly on horizon airlines, a subsidiary of Alaskan and mostly in the PacNW, they give out FREE craft beer on all their flights, I've had Deschutes mirror pond, ninkasi oatis oatmeal stout, and several other regional craft brews on their flights.
  31. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (385) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

My beer cargo method of choice is an 8-gal Action Packer. It will hold 14 individually bubble-wrapped bombers. I've got one dedicated just for this purpose, and the bubble wrap lives in there full time. It goes empty with me, and comes back full of delicious goodness. I've not had a problem with this system as of yet (knock on wood...)
  32. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (670) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

33. I will be in Santa Rosa for a few days in the next couple weeks. I'm planning to bring some stuff home in my luggage, but does anyone know the rules for checking a box full as well? I'll be flying Southwest and since I get to check two bags for free I figured I might as well take them up on that.

Again, I'll just plan to put 5-7 bottles in my luggage, but are there any rules against bringing an additional box full of stuff to check as well? (Weight, so many ounces? taping and packaging procedures?) I tried calling Southwest directly, but the lady didn't really seem to know their own rules.
  34. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Aficionado (210) Nevada Feb 19, 2011

I pick up a cardboard box wherever I travel to. I start with all of the clothes from the trip as packing materials. Then move to newspaper.

Have not had a problem, most recently I bought back 3 boxes from Wisconsin. All were TSA screened and put back in decent order. They even reinforced one of the boxes with duct tape.
  35. BRLockwood

BRLockwood Savant (250) Virginia Aug 1, 2005

So I was at Russian River drinking some Pliny the Elder and decided I wanted to bring some home. I asked the bartender if I could fly with a growler and he said no and bummed me out. After a couple more beers I decided I would try it anyway, so I ordered a growler of the Pliny and he said I told you you can't take that on the plane. I just ignored him, got my growler and went on my way. So I was a little nervous so I bought some electrical tape and taped up the growler lid real good and packed it in my luggage. To make a long story short - everything arrived safely with no problems. Beers are easy to pack!
  36. Southwest appears to have a 5 liter limit (per person) but I have to wonder how enforced that really is. I guess I can just turn in my bag with the beer in it as my wife's and then claim the other box as mine to be safe.
  37. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Advocate (560) Florida Feb 6, 2007

I have checked a box of beer many times on Delta, no problem. Sometimes I told them it was beer, sometimes not. I checked a box on Southwest and was told it is illegal. She proceeded to tell me she could check it if the beers were put into their (Southwest's special) air bags that she sold me for $5 each. Bottom line on Southwest, don't tell them it's beer.
  38. Good to know. Thanks.
  39. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Skimmed this thread and it looks like the vast majority of these options are for the larger format bombers. What about six packs of 12oz bottles, aside from putting them in shoes? I guess there are styrofoam shippers that fit to the 12oz format..

Speaking of which, I'll be in Europe for 2 weeks this summer with the wifey. I've never traveled with bottles before but I know I'll probably want to bring some bottles back from Belgium. How feasible is it to pack up a case in one of these cardboard shippers with lots of bubble wrap, foam padding, etc. and check it on a flight back to the US? Or am I better off just wrapping a couple bottles in ziplocs, wrapping them up in clothes in a suitcase?
  40. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Uline boxes would work but it looks like you have to buy at least 4 @ $20+ a pop, plus shipping. I went with uhaul 12 shippers. Buying 2 got me free shipping, $33 to my door.