1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Airlock filled with beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by beerbully, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Any suggestions while this batch ferments over and spills over the bucket... What should be my concerns?

2. None. You may want to crack open the lid for a few hours to release some pressure so the airlock doesn't blow off and make a mess of your room. Then reseal, refill the airlock, and you should be good to go.

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

oldp0rt likes this.
  4. ⬆ Blowoff tube. [​IMG]

5. namyarb3

namyarb3 Aspirant (45) Washington Feb 26, 2013

I use a blowoff hose on all of my beers. I only have 5g carboys, so 5g of 1.080+ wort can make a mess. A little peace of mind for me.

6. beer272

beer272 Aficionado (210) New Jersey Sep 23, 2009

I recently had filled a bucket with only about 3" clearance as I had 14# of LME in this 5+ gallon batch. I awoke to a airlock infused with krausen totally. So then went to just covering the hole with aluminum foil. It was simply a mountain coming out. Finally went to a blow of tube. I opened the lid 3 times, twice I took out a lot of krausen. That only delayed the mountain. I had the krausen going right through the airlock, blow off tubing in real time right into the blow off container. I cleaned/rinsed the lid about 3 times early on, then the airlock, tubing 3 times as well. The beast is now subdued on a simple 3 piece air lock again. My mistake, not leaving enough head room.