1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Airlock filled with beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by beerbully, Feb 24, 2013.

1. beerbully

beerbully Member

Any suggestions while this batch ferments over and spills over the bucket... What should be my concerns?
  2. bbarrows

bbarrows Member

None. You may want to crack open the lid for a few hours to release some pressure so the airlock doesn't blow off and make a mess of your room. Then reseal, refill the airlock, and you should be good to go.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

oldp0rt likes this.
  4. psnydez86

psnydez86 Member

⬆ Blowoff tube. [​IMG]
  5. namyarb3

namyarb3 Member

I use a blowoff hose on all of my beers. I only have 5g carboys, so 5g of 1.080+ wort can make a mess. A little peace of mind for me.
  6. beer272

beer272 Member

I recently had filled a bucket with only about 3" clearance as I had 14# of LME in this 5+ gallon batch. I awoke to a airlock infused with krausen totally. So then went to just covering the hole with aluminum foil. It was simply a mountain coming out. Finally went to a blow of tube. I opened the lid 3 times, twice I took out a lot of krausen. That only delayed the mountain. I had the krausen going right through the airlock, blow off tubing in real time right into the blow off container. I cleaned/rinsed the lid about 3 times early on, then the airlock, tubing 3 times as well. The beast is now subdued on a simple 3 piece air lock again. My mistake, not leaving enough head room.