1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Airport Beer Surprise!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by obrike, Feb 20, 2013.

1. obrike

obrike Savant (415) Texas Jun 19, 2009

I flew into Ft. Lauderdale on my way to San Juan, PR on business over the weekend. Took Jet Blue (good price and TV to boot!). Landed and walked just a few steps away from my gate and saw The Food Network Kitchen. Stopped in for a very tasty club sandwhich and noticed the place was serving Jai Alai IPA. My BA alarm went off (no Jai Alai available for me in Texas) and immediately ordered one (ok, three). Absolutely fantastic. Huge find for me...I'll be flying Jet Blue to Puerto Rico from now on just to re-visit this place.

Anyone else have any good airport beer pleasant surprises? By the way...I'm heading back to San Juan and will be stopping in Atlanta this weekend...
  2. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

When I flew to Portland, OR, recently, I was pleasantly surprised that there was a bar INSIDE the security area that sold growler fills you could take on the plane. Insanity!
  3. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

Wow- growler fills to take on the plane? I can see passengers' faces walking down the aisle with a full growler! Portland, OR- land of milk, honey, food and brew. I wish it was closer.
  4. obrike

What is this...a Jimmy Page convention?
  5. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

6. I had a layover in ATL, and Sweetwater Nut Brown at the airport brewpub was really good, as was the IPA.
  7. dfillius likes this.
  8. 5 hour layover in MSP last month. Walked into Ike's to find them showing the KU game AND serving Surly beer. Made the layover much shorter.
  9. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

You can get NC locals from The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery, Foothills Brewing and NoDa Brewing at the airport here in Charlotte, NC.
    mtbdonn, Falcone, 7clutch and 3 others like this.
  10. animal69

animal69 Advocate (580) Louisiana Sep 21, 2007

Ohare in chicago has goose island stuff, had a sandwich & a honkers ale for like 20 bucks
    obrike likes this.
  11. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

Cleveland and Akron have Great Lakes Brewing in the airport! I've had Christmas Ale, Blackout Stout, and Lake Erie Monster on tap there.
    obrike and Shagator like this.
  12. t4haughton

t4haughton Zealot (95) Illinois Jan 24, 2013

I usually try to take direct flights to my destination when possible. Hadn't thought about flying through "good beer states" on purpose until now...
  13. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Well done sir!

We're flying out to the DR this weekend and have a layover in Miami - I checked - no Food Network places there but luckily there are several "Budweiser Brewhouse" restaurants in the airport. Awesome.

Good find on the Jai-Alai - really good beer!
    obrike likes this.
  14. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

But all they had was voodoo doughnut.......
  15. TheMonkfish

Guy Fieri makes my testes recede. A mid-forties guy wearing flame shirts and sunglasses on the back of your head. Extreme!!!!!!! Yuck

For the record,I heard that Southern Tier Creme Brulee also makes testes recede and sink traps weep.
  16. TheMonkfish

That's a Sopie's Choice - do I encourage the painted bottle marketeers or have water?

I just heard that the all inclusive place we're going to vacation to stocks your room fridges with beer daily - the bad news is that it's all the usual suspect beers - umbrella drinks FTW!
  17. obrike

I was so stoked...even had to stop and take a pic. I know, nerd alert, but who cares.[​IMG]
  18. I flew to PR last February but through Miami. No good beer. Sam Adams was it but it was better than most beer on the island. I did find a micro brew from San Juan( it was good but cant remember the name) but I was on the other side of the island so I only had what the one bar had on tap. Had my first Sofie there as well. Lots of Victory and I found a bottle shop that had lots of old IPA among other things. Rum and corona ruled the week.

Enjoy
  19. Laurelwood inside PDX.....was there this morning! crazy!
  20. Burbank, CA - Widner Double Nelson and in Manchester, NH - fresh Smuttynose IPA, both on tap.
    obrike and BigStein88 like this.
  21. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

Ended up layed over in Denver for a night and was given a $40 meal voucher to anywhere inside the airport for food. There was a restaurant that had Ranger IPA on tap. I got a $6 salad and $34 in Ranger IPA. That was a shitty flight the next day.

Worth it.
  22. Got stuck in Detroit for 5 hours last summer, but was pleasantly surprised to find Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA. Made the wait much more bearable! Or, maybe that's beerable!
    obrike and geneseohawk like this.
  23. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Denver Airport. Hoh-Lee Shit.
    ressling, RobertColianni and kmatlack like this.
  24. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Cigar city has a bar in the tampa airport
  25. Sirvis

Sirvis Aficionado (230) Michigan Apr 29, 2012

I recently flew out of the "D" and had Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA as well. It sure started my trip off with a positive note!
    abcramer likes this.
  26. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

Bell's in Detroit, but you gotta poke around for it. Or ask where on the Midwest forum before you go.

But in Portland, there are brewpub outlets right in the airport! HUB I think? Or was it Laurelwood? Maybe another one too? And, Portland has a rule where chains have to charge the same prices at the airport as they do in town. So pints for something like $3.75 in the airport, a couple/three years ago.
    obrike likes this.
  27. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I was in there 2 nights ago. Very nice tap selection. And I found a bottle of Laurelwood Moose & Squirrel Imperial Stout in the Made In Oregon shop in Concourse C. (Not a great stout, if the reviews here are anything to go by, but I've been wanting to try that one for a few years now.)
  28. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

Laurelwood. I was just at pdx a month or so and saw it.
  29. Yea, I grabbed a Foothills HoppyYum IPA (or three) there in November flying back from a 10-day sting in Curacao. It was a great "getting-back-to-hops" moment for me. Loved it!
    TheBeerAlmanac and Handle like this.
  30. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (695) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

pbr in Shanghai China haha. World War Two edition!.??? Support US Army. Yah I was pretty shocked.
  31. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Laurelwood has a kitchen/bar at one of the gates...growlers to go as well! I was surprised and stoked!
  32. pixieskid

I've done the same, both times I was there too (prices aren't bad and a solid IPA in the airport, I'll take at least two if I've got a lot of time to kill, it could be more...
    mtbdonn and BEERchitect like this.
  33. pixieskid

Laurelwood, could be more, but I can verify they have one.
  34. Denver International has a New Belgium Hub, was totally stoked.
    RobertColianni and YogiBeer like this.
  35. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

I knew I needed to find Goose Island last time I was in O'Hare.

I did not know that I would find Bourbon County Stout when I got there.
    ChanChan and obrike like this.
  36. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (365) New York Jan 19, 2013

This right here is why it's dangerous to check BA in the morning. This picture has me ready to skip work and move on to the important things.

jchoffman and obrike like this.
  37. JimKal

JimKal Savant (300) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

I got to the Hartford Airport (BDL) early for a return trip to NC. One of the bars inside the security area was serving Brooklyn Brown and Harpoon Rye Pale Ale. I enjoyed the opportunity to try them both and Brookly Brown has turned into one of my favorite beers as a result. It is great to see something you want to try without having to buy a whole six pack. BTW I enjoyed the Rye PA but there are many rye's that I like but this is the first brown that I've really enjoyed.
  38. They love their Surly up there, for good reason of course. I don't think I've ever seen such a close association between brewery and community. It's really nice.
  39. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

Birmingham, Alabama airport has Jim N Nicks BBQ *and* Good People beer. Awesome.
  40. MSP (home airport) Ike's for tap/rock bottom has a restaurant around the corner but not as good. Most shops sell bottles from Fulton/Summit/Bell’s/and a few other locals if you don’t need to eat and bring with on the plane.

Brewery in airports: Harpoon in Boston, Kona Honolulu, Boulevard Kansas City, LAX Karl Strauss, San Diego has a few can’t remember the names I think Karl Strauss can also be found.

Detroit you can find Short's and Bell's at a few bars. Delta Sky lounge was Seattle because they had Alaskan on tap great for the long flight to Hawaii.
    WickedSluggy likes this.