Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Airport Beer Surprise!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by obrike, Feb 20, 2013.

1. whitekiboko

whitekiboko Savant (425) South Carolina Sep 22, 2006 Verified

Good People must be the best beer on the planet if it was awesome.
  2. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (485) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

Yes. Yes, it is. (/Phineas and Ferb)
    obrike likes this.
  3. guajolote

guajolote Advocate (505) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Bottle prices at Made in Oregon are about the same as you'll find at any bottle shop in town. And yeah, I agree about PDX. I've been to quite a few airports and none can touch PDX. It's clean, the employees (even the TSA) are actually friendly, the wi-fi is free, and prices for everything are about the same as you'd find anywhere else in the city. I feel very fortunate to have it as my home airport. It's the only airport that I intentionally arrive at early so I can stop for a beer before my flight!
  4. mtbdonn

mtbdonn Savant (445) Colorado Dec 15, 2009

Had the Hoppyum as well in August, delicious! I'm headed there again this August and already looking forward to that familiar stop at Charlotte airport!
  5. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Great call - we had dinner there last night. Tons of pilots eating there (a sure sign of a good airport restaurant) - really good food. Thanks again.
  6. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Best layover ever.. dont mind 2 hr layover
  7. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (335) Texas Aug 16, 2010 Verified

You're not supposed to open your growler or other bottles of alcohol. Didn't stop me from opening and pouring some Appleton VX rum into my coke on the way back from Jamaica. ;)
  8. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Advocate (530) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013 Verified

Recently went to Denver for a day trip. On my way home the airport restaurant had Oskar Blues Ten Fidy on cask. Pretty sweet deal until they said they "just ran out"... Buzzkill!
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,390) Washington Sep 24, 2007 Verified

Not saying it doesn't happen, but if you piss off the cabin crew, they can have the feds waiting for you on the ground. Personal choices.
  10. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

nice! now that you mention it i do recall there being airline employees eating in one of the other boots. didn't think much of it. guess that is a good sign.
  11. dgthrasher

dgthrasher Savant (265) Connecticut Dec 27, 2008 Verified

Madison airport has a brew pub great dane. And detroit metro airport has a couple of good beer bars. Had sagatuck brewing IPA, and detroit brewing ALT on tap. Bells two-hearted and crooked tree IPA in bottles.
  12. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (225) Kentucky May 14, 2009

Detroit, in the Detroit 500 bar, Short's Huma Loopa. Luckily my flight was delayed by a few hours so I got my share.
  13. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (335) Texas Aug 16, 2010 Verified

Come on, do you think I'd be that stupid. It was a small bottle that was about two airplane bottles worth and the flight attendants were nowhere around.
  14. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (240) Florida Aug 12, 2010

Goose island brewpub at ohare and beer works at Boston. Made the layover much more enjoyable.
  15. FredGallagher

FredGallagher Zealot (80) Alaska May 6, 2013

I opened the Anchorage Silver Gulch location as the GM. It is an awewome were a brewery out in nowhere Fox cab now easily get its beer around the world, one growler at a time. The location was past security and the growlers were sealed right after they were freshly poured. If you opened one on a plane you were in a world of hurt - strict federal laws. This also made it easy for "dry" rural villages (voted to ban beer) to get beer and hard liquor since the location sells Vodka and Whiskey. If the growlers are not sealed right they exlode. This happened a few times.
  16. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (350) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Unfortunately, I was in an airport in Fort Myers, FL and Dallas, but saw nothing on tap that stoked my interest. Apparently the word of the day on this thread is "stoked". Maybe I was just looking in the wrong airport bars.
    FredGallagher likes this.
  17. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (305) California Oct 29, 2012

Nice! The only Cigar City beer I've gotten to taste was a barleywine collaboration with green flash and it was pretty amazing. I'd have ordered 3 too if I was there.
  18. wapcap

wapcap Savant (285) Nebraska Apr 6, 2012

19. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Advocate (645) Michigan Mar 23, 2011 Verified

Salt Lake City has a cool Squatters pub.

LaGuardia's new(er) Delta terminal has a beer bar with a ton of taps, a food court that has a few different bottled beers at each of its 5 food stations, and a French bistro bakery kiosk that has a bunch of great bottle offerings too. I was blown away.

Nashville's Yazoo kiosk is pretty cool and reasonably priced, and because the airport is so small, never a far walk from the gate.

Most of the restaurants/bars at Detroit Metro have a few decent Michigan offerings on tap as well.

Houston has an oyster bar that has some dynamite Texas bottles and cans.

Goose Island and Berghoff pubs at O'Hare.

Always a pleasant surprise, even if i'm expecting it. Seeking out the beer bar/options/brewery outpost at every airport is a #1 priority for me when I travel. I love airport drinking.
    foundersfan1 likes this.
  20. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Savant (385) Pennsylvania Jan 14, 2006 Verified

I would think not. I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around what you would be doing with a growler full of beer in the terminal. Obviously you can't take it on the plane. Too late to check it at that point. Drink it away from the bar while still in the airport and save a few bucks? If you're arriving in SD there are innumerable places to fill a growler. Nothing about this makes sense.
    nodder, lester619 and mackeyse like this.
  21. beertunes

At the PDX airport you can get growlers filled past security. You can take them on the plane, but you can't drink drink them on the plane. There's also a store that has decent local bottle selection airside for your last minute gift needs. And, the Port/City rules are that anything for sale in the airport has to be the same price as on the street. One more reason why PDX is the best beer city.
  22. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Savant (385) Pennsylvania Jan 14, 2006 Verified

Learned something new I guess. Do they put a plastic wrap around the lid to "seal" it. What happens if it's opened? And how can they prevent you from drinking it on the plane? Still doesn't make sense to me.
  23. Anything going on at Newark?
  24. beertunes

Oregon doesn't require growlers to be sealed in general, so I doubt they do at the airport. I guess nothing is stopping you from opening it on the plane, except that the flight attendants will be unhappy, and you could face federal charges for interfering with the flight crew when you land. If you need the beer that bad, go ahead. Personally, I find that a couple at the airport, and maybe 1 one the plane is enough to get me through. YMMV.
  25. http://www.stonebrewing.com/shop/growler-fills

No mention of the airport. As stated above, if you are at the airport, you are not far from growler fill locations anyway. The Kettner and Liberty Station locations are minutes away. I would recommend Liberty Station. It is a huge place and has a complete restaurant. The Kettner location is a much smaller Stone beer bar.
  26. Bogart2930

Bogart2930 Savant (280) Florida Jul 11, 2015 Verified

This thread has taught me I should a growler on me at all times? :) but yeah good stuff getting such a nice surprise on the terminal and on flying Jet Blue, Ive had noting but a good experience flying with them.
  27. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Champion (790) Missouri May 27, 2005 Verified

Chicago Midway. Harry Carey's. GI Bourbon County Barleywine. Think I paid like $18 for it, but I had not had it and it was a great use of a layover!

Nashville has a nice little stand for Yazoo. I struck out at the liquor stores looking for Sue and they had it right there on draft.

Also, if you are ever headed to St. Louis and are flying Southwest, Schlafly sells their beers with the Pasta House (food is meh and painstakingly slow) at the end of the terminal (gate C1, I think). Bottles to go (post security) are available for purchase, both 12 oz's, 750 mls, and 6 packs. A decent variety available. Not to mention lots of stuff on draft to enjoy.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    foundersfan1 likes this.
  28. drtth

drtth Poobah (1,170) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Drinking your own alcohol on the plane is illegal under Federal Law. So the federal charges would be for drinking alcohol that wasn't served to you by the flight attendants.
    tommyguz and beertunes like this.
  29. Kaplan

Kaplan Disciple (50) Michigan May 1, 2015

If you ever find yourself at the airport in Grand Rapids, Michigan Bells opened up at Brew Pub in the airport. It makes getting to the airport a couple hours early a little more enjoyable.
    foundersfan1 likes this.
  30. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,290) Maryland Mar 18, 2008 Verified

until you make your connection and are forced to go through security again to get to your gate.

say goodbye to your growler.

There's a bottle of Jameson still waiting for my friend at YYZ.
    danielhaase likes this.
  31. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Advocate (660) Massachusetts Oct 26, 2007 Verified

Too bad virtually none of these options are available on the plane. So sick of American and their garbage offerings. Was on the DC shuttle to Boston this week and was happy to get a free beer on my 10pm flight ....but my choices were Sam lager, dos Equis, bud light or Heineken. I took the Sam and choked it down just to get some alcohol in the veins.
    foundersfan1 likes this.
  32. beertunes

If only flying domestic, you only have to clear security once, right? Most folks here would probably be staying within the states. Plus, you could always check it, I'm certain it would get "special handling".;)
    PA-Michigander likes this.
  33. Lazhal

Lazhal Savant (465) Michigan Mar 13, 2011 Verified

Tell that to the Chinese woman who tried to smuggle her remy martin through security.

34. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,290) Maryland Mar 18, 2008 Verified

Hey man... dats REmy... don't mess with my cognac!

Honestly I was ready to take that bottle of Jameson I had ... drink it in the stall, share it with anyone who wanted it and pour what ever less down the toilet... ;)
  35. MacMalt

MacMalt Advocate (515) New Jersey Jan 28, 2015 Verified

Terminal C at Newark Airport has Carton Boat on draft.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  36. mikeyrb1

mikeyrb1 Zealot (85) Colorado Feb 15, 2011

Alaskan Airlines was handing out Alaskan IPA FOR FREE on a recent flight from Portland to Seattle. It blew my mind. Flight attendant was nice enough to get to us first (she must have sensed our desperation) Then she served us last as well because we were in the very back row. This after a horrific experience with Frontier. I'll gladly pay extra for AK airlines for the rest of my days.

Another was getting off the plane in ATL after spending a month in Nicaragua drinking nothing but Tona and Victoria. I swear that the Sweetwater brew pub was glowing like some kind of mirage. Best IPA and Burger that I've ever had.
  37. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Savant (355) New Jersey Oct 29, 2011

Had a layover in Charlotte, NC once.

Hop Drop N' Roll was there in cans.
  38. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (895) Washington May 12, 2005 Verified

Certainly the most unique find I've encountered was Surly Darkness at Ike's in MSP - that place is great. The food is decent enough, the iPad setup is slick and efficient and the bartenders are occasionally even fairly attractive.
    obrike and foundersfan1 like this.
  39. troygreer

troygreer Advocate (515) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2006 Verified

Yeah, I wish it was on the other side of the security check point.
    CB_Michigan likes this.
  40. jdaddy

jdaddy Savant (410) Pennsylvania Nov 19, 2010 Verified

He clearly stated that if Capital One called about a charge his wife (who is likely the primary contact on the credit card) should advise it is not a fraudulent charge. No point in demeaning him. Guess you don't use credit cards.
    foundersfan1 likes this.