1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Airport Beer Surprise!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by obrike, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Good People must be the best beer on the planet if it was awesome.
  2. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

Yes. Yes, it is. (/Phineas and Ferb)
    obrike likes this.
  3. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Bottle prices at Made in Oregon are about the same as you'll find at any bottle shop in town. And yeah, I agree about PDX. I've been to quite a few airports and none can touch PDX. It's clean, the employees (even the TSA) are actually friendly, the wi-fi is free, and prices for everything are about the same as you'd find anywhere else in the city. I feel very fortunate to have it as my home airport. It's the only airport that I intentionally arrive at early so I can stop for a beer before my flight!
  4. mtbdonn

mtbdonn Savant (400) Colorado Dec 15, 2009

Had the Hoppyum as well in August, delicious! I'm headed there again this August and already looking forward to that familiar stop at Charlotte airport!
  5. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Great call - we had dinner there last night. Tons of pilots eating there (a sure sign of a good airport restaurant) - really good food. Thanks again.
  6. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Best layover ever.. dont mind 2 hr layover
  7. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

You're not supposed to open your growler or other bottles of alcohol. Didn't stop me from opening and pouring some Appleton VX rum into my coke on the way back from Jamaica. ;)
  8. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (420) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Recently went to Denver for a day trip. On my way home the airport restaurant had Oskar Blues Ten Fidy on cask. Pretty sweet deal until they said they "just ran out"... Buzzkill!
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Not saying it doesn't happen, but if you piss off the cabin crew, they can have the feds waiting for you on the ground. Personal choices.
  10. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

nice! now that you mention it i do recall there being airline employees eating in one of the other boots. didn't think much of it. guess that is a good sign.
  11. Madison airport has a brew pub great dane. And detroit metro airport has a couple of good beer bars. Had sagatuck brewing IPA, and detroit brewing ALT on tap. Bells two-hearted and crooked tree IPA in bottles.
  12. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

Detroit, in the Detroit 500 bar, Short's Huma Loopa. Luckily my flight was delayed by a few hours so I got my share.
  13. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

Come on, do you think I'd be that stupid. It was a small bottle that was about two airplane bottles worth and the flight attendants were nowhere around.
  14. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (230) Florida Aug 12, 2010

Goose island brewpub at ohare and beer works at Boston. Made the layover much more enjoyable.
  15. FredGallagher

FredGallagher Zealot (80) Alaska May 6, 2013

I opened the Anchorage Silver Gulch location as the GM. It is an awewome were a brewery out in nowhere Fox cab now easily get its beer around the world, one growler at a time. The location was past security and the growlers were sealed right after they were freshly poured. If you opened one on a plane you were in a world of hurt - strict federal laws. This also made it easy for "dry" rural villages (voted to ban beer) to get beer and hard liquor since the location sells Vodka and Whiskey. If the growlers are not sealed right they exlode. This happened a few times.
  16. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Unfortunately, I was in an airport in Fort Myers, FL and Dallas, but saw nothing on tap that stoked my interest. Apparently the word of the day on this thread is "stoked". Maybe I was just looking in the wrong airport bars.
    FredGallagher likes this.
  17. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Nice! The only Cigar City beer I've gotten to taste was a barleywine collaboration with green flash and it was pretty amazing. I'd have ordered 3 too if I was there.