1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Airport experiences

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lsummers, Dec 19, 2012.

1. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

What's your favorite airport experience with craft beer? I know a few will be traveling this time of year and me sitting here realizing I've had way more options at an airport bar than now has me thinking how lucky I was. Oh we'll at least I have bbc Boston lager and SN pale ale. So I've got a solid session able option!

I do remember some canceled flights where the bar experience has been so much fun.
  2. LAX: Golden Road, Karl Strauss, and Gordon Biersch. I guess more selection than an experience. The experiences have been more interesting with liquor.
    DocJitsu likes this.
  3. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Luckily Tampa International Airport by me has a nice little Cigar City Brew Pub right in the hub and they have the favorites like Jai Alai IPA and Maduro, but they also brew onsite an exclusive Jannus Pale Ale. It's a nice place to stop before a flight out.
    brees6221, rholmes, jpvenezia and 2 others like this.
  4. juankzas

juankzas Aficionado (230) Mexico Jun 13, 2008

Portland is great, there's a Laurelwood, and the best is the prices are the same than in town.
    vurt and SanFranJake like this.
  5. I flew through O'Hare on Thanksgiving, and the Goose Island Brewpub location in the airport had BCBS. Also, the Frontera Grill location in O'Hare will sell beer in a to-go cup - I wandered around Concourse F w/ a Matilda in hand.
    YogiBeer, Onenote81, trevorjk and 3 others like this.
  6. Philly airport has some legit good beer bars.
    victory4me likes this.
  7. Finatic

Finatic Savant (300) Florida Jan 16, 2011

Pretty bad when you have to plan your travel itinerary around Southwest and Air Tran because they are the only Carriers on that concourse.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  8. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

I've never had a stellar experience at the airport, simply because they charge you $9 for a 20oz pour of Sierra Pale or Speakeasy Big Daddy, or something like that. The prices are so exorbitant that it's not even worth it in my mind

Edit: After reading some of these other stories about getting Cigar City and BCBS at the airport, it's obvious that I'm flying out of the wrong airports
    lostandwandering and Oneinchaway like this.
  9. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Usually I fly out of Detroit, but nothing comes to mind for good craft beer.

Goose Island @ O'hare
    New Belgium @ Denver
    Saratoga @ Albany (very small..but good IPA)
  10. Which? I'm flying out of there in a couple weeks. :)
  11. I can't remember the exact terminal, but it was in the Philly International Airport. It was a while back when I found the beer bars.
  12. I think that's the first time I seen anything positive mentioned about LAX.
  13. plemori

plemori Zealot (80) Wisconsin Apr 18, 2012

i actually missed a flight because of the new belgium pub in denver!
    YogiBeer and CommanderOfAwesome like this.
  14. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

And you need it because if there is a hint of rain you are delayed :(

People need to add what terminal has said good places.
  15. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Sitting in the Seattle airport right now. I thought the beer selection would be better, but the best i could find was Red Hook IPA. Zero SN PA (really?) Then there's alaskan amber, stella, boston lager, & bud light. I have a feeling i'm missing somethin better in here. Help me out NWers!!
  16. Just flew out of Portland, OR last night. They have a Rouge and Laurelwood pubs at the airport. City law dictates that prices have to be the same as their other locations outside of the airport. Had a couple nice $4.50 beers at Laurelwood before heading out on a red eye.
    SanFranJake likes this.
  17. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Squatters pub at the Salt Lake City airport. I had a 2 hour layover there with my parents so we hit the pub. I had 2 Hop Rising DIPA's then split a 750 mil bottle of Squatters Outer Darkness Imperial Stout with my parents. I was feeling pretty good when we got on the plane.....who knew you could drink such good beer in the Salt Lake City airport.
    JrGtr likes this.
  18. Yeah, the flight delay was actually how I found out about this place. I did a little research on this. There's actually some reviews on BA about the bar I was talking about. It's name is Jet Rock:

There are three Jet Rock Locations at the Airport.
    They are in concourses B and D and they are all different with different tap lists and different food options.
    The Terminal B has its own kitchen and a full menu (and better beer).
  19. akbeerfiend

akbeerfiend Aficionado (100) Alaska May 14, 2009

There is a kind of upscale restaurant at Seatac which has a better selection than the Alaskan bar but still nothing exciting, maybe a deschutes seasonal or black butte yay!
  20. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Wow. I am constantly astonished at how much better off the northern other states have it in regards to craft beer. I couldn't even imagine having a brewpub in an airport, I would probably try to hang out in airports if they had that in Texas.
    vickersspitfire likes this.
  21. CA_Infidel2o9

Yeah they don't let ppl arriving, enter the leaving part of the airport, and i think i see a decent bar over there. DAMN!!
  22. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

My first experience of Karl Strauss was at LAX too. I dug it a lot. However, once it started to be available nearly everywhere, it lost some of its allure.
  23. CA_Infidel2o9

The prices are outrageous bro, $6.84 16oz, 8.84 20oz...
  24. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Yup. I got hammered at the Laurelwood pub in PDX on a 4 1/2 hour layover a couple years back. Very reasonable prices and a killer giant nacho to boot.
  25. jfh

jfh Aficionado (190) California Apr 25, 2008

Good combo for us in past years: fly United through Denver and hit the New Belgium hub. They're in the same Terminal, B, I think.
    BeerBum likes this.
  26. CA_Infidel2o9

Winning.

Now that's how you make the best of a lay over.
  27. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I searched hard for a decent pub in SeaTac to watch the Bears choke to the Seahawks and couldn't find anything better than Alaskan Amber and SNPA.
  28. You can buy bottles of Oregon beers for carry-on inside the Portland airport. The selection wasn't stellar, but I did grab some Nankasis and a Seizoen Bretta from Logsdon.
  29. akbeerfiend

akbeerfiend Aficionado (100) Alaska May 14, 2009

30. Isn't that a state mandate? I recall seeing a sign in the airport saying that the prices there are the same as in town by law.
  31. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

In addition to Squatters, they have a Gordon Biersch in Terminal 1 and Vino Volo Ale House in Terminal 2. Had way too much at Vino Volo this summer during a 5 hour delay.
  32. juankzas

juankzas Aficionado (230) Mexico Jun 13, 2008

Yes it's a state mandate, I meant that the best (of Portland Airport) is that the prices are the same as in town
    SanFranJake likes this.
  33. I'll be up there in a few weeks, so this will be nice.
  34. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Another word about Portland: the Gustav's Pub and Grill has had a Lucky Labrador beer on tap the past 3 times I've been up there. The bottled beer selection at the Made in Oregon shop is just amazing for an airport gift shop (Laurelwood, HUB, Logsdon, Vertigo, Alameda, seasonals too). You can take bottles as carry-on if you have a direct flight.
  35. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Came here to say this. Had a four-hour layover there one time. Saw that place, holed up at a table in the corner with some eats, a book and a series of Polygamy Porter, Hop Rising, etc.
    SABERG and bifrost17 like this.
  36. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

One place where I was really surprised to find craft beer options is the small airport in Springfield, MO. When I flew through there last September, they offered 3 beers each from Boulevard and locals Springfield Brewing and Mothers Brewing, including seasonals. (All bottles, no craft on draft.)
  37. PHL definitely has some good bars for those of you who pass through. I recently had a layover in Chicago MDW, and was a little disappointed with the selection. The best thing I found on tap was Goose Island 312.
  38. I second Jet Rock as having an extensive tap list. It's been a while, since I always seem to have the misfortune of flying out of Terminal C. The other terminals have Chickie & Pete's, which at least usually has a couple Victory standards, etc.
  39. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (450) Texas Sep 15, 2010

I had a great layover in Cleveland hanging out at the Great Lakes Brewpub. You could take a 4 pack to go and the food was actually really good.
  40. Is it true that you can fill a growler at Laurelwood before you board a plane too? Thought I read that on here once.