1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alabama beers

Discussion in 'US - South' started by StuartCarter, Jul 27, 2012.

1. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

Next Wednesday, 1 August 2012, sees the latest Free the Hops sponsored legislation come into law. This law allows for a maximum container size for beer of 25.4oz/750ml. It's been a long, hard road, but we're getting there.

So looking forward to all the great stuff our burgeoning local brewing scene will be bottling in bombers :D
  2. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

I'd appreciate it if you AL BAs can keep us abreast of any new local bomber releases there. I have family in Huntsville I can always bug to pick me up a brew or two once they're released!
  3. StuartCarter

4. bastu

bastu Savant (280) Tennessee May 5, 2011

Stu, once you have Alabama straightened out could you please move up to Tennessee and work some of your magic up here?

On a serious note, your hard work and dedication are truly inspiring.
  5. I didn't see them listed in the link above, so I figured I would mention that we will be getting all the large format smokestack series from Boulevard (or so I hear). Hell yes.
  6. StuartCarter

7. freduardo

freduardo Savant (390) Alabama Feb 19, 2007

made a midnight run to the store last night, and this is what i found:

[​IMG]
    nate8767, xxcarpxx and StuartCarter like this.
  8. nate8767

nate8767 Aficionado (185) Alabama Nov 1, 2011

Where did you get the Saison-Brett?!
  9. StuartCarter

it's on the shelves wherever good beer is sold :D
    xxcarpxx and nate8767 like this.
  10. nate8767

Even in Mobile?!
  11. nate8767

Reposted for alert!
  12. StuartCarter

it should be... it's a statewide law. Check with your local beer store: they are distributed through Supreme Beverage.
  13. sommersb

Is the Straight to Ale bomber available anywhere in Huntsville? Liquor Express sold out
  14. StuartCarter

maybe Stem and Stein? If not, you may need to wait for the next batch to be released.
  15. sommersb

Thanks for the tip!
  16. I'm out of country right now. And, in a nation where alcohol is illegal!!! Got 8 months left. Please anyone humor me, and tell what you're finding on shelves so I can dream about what I will buy when I'm back!
  17. StuartCarter

On Wednesday I bought Yeti, Clown Shoes Blaecorn Unidragon, Terrapin Big Daddy Vlady, Straight To Ale's Vern's Wheat Wine, and Sierra Nevada / Russian River BRUX.
    maketheheartglad likes this.
  18. Your haul sounds very much like mine.
  19. StuartCarter

I am waiting impatiently for lots more barleywines to hit the shelves, too :D
    barleywinefiend likes this.

20. Great Divide should be sending some Old Ruffian bombers down here soon. Fish with some Ten Squared and hopefully you guys will get some Avery hg Heaven bombers as well.
  21. StuartCarter

Old Ruffian is a fantastic barleywine. And I can get it in a store barely 5 minutes from my front door. Good days :D
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  22. Evil Twin's Freudian Slip just hit the shelf's in Mobile today.
  23. Meanwhile in Dothan, all we can find is 24oz bottles of Bud and Bud Light and the distributors are totally clueless and not concerned.
  24. StuartCarter

You'd probably be better going to the panhandle for your beer...
  25. Stuart, you are probably right. No worries, we live 5 miles from the FL border. However, we lead a beer tasting at a local high end deli/ meat market and they have been calling everyone (distributors) about this with very little response. They say it won't sell here and ship most of our "craft" to Auburn. We have been working hard to educate and get people here to get involved in changing things. It is very frustrating. We have even posted on a local forum to get people to contact retailers and distributors to make their voices heard!
  26. StuartCarter

ah, yes the old "we don't stock it because it won't sell, and because we don't stock it nobody knows about it" catch-22....
  27. Do you have any suggestions as far as what we should do? We also homebrew.......but then again, that's illegal too! So, we have access to great beer, but would like to bring the Wiregrass into the 21st century.
  28. StuartCarter

Nag. Politely. Every time you, or any of your friends, goes into a store or restaurant that *should* offer a good selection, speak to the manager and tell them how much money they are losing. One package store in Bham was seeing every customer spend over $50 starting from midnight 1st August - calmly, politely, make the point that they are losing money. Heck, show them your receipts from your shopping expeditions into FL to make the point how much money they are losing :)
    maketheheartglad likes this.
  29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Seriously, Alabama? I've been reading about some of the beer you're getting over there (Bell's, Founders, Terrapin) and it seems like you've come farther in a few months than Texas has in a decade! Congrats! Way to turn a desert into an oasis, if you ask me.
    guinb and maketheheartglad like this.
  30. Yes, that is true for the rest of the state, but here in the SE corner we are seeing nothing. We are lucky if Publix can stock Good People Brown and IPA. We had to beg to get even 2 cases of Cigar City Jai Alai and Maduro for a tasting we were leading even though the brewer is a close friend and was born and raised in this area. Then, what they sent was old and not in real good condition. We know for a fact that at least one big distributor here doesn't even try to sell anything other than BMC to it's bar/restaurant accounts and merely wait for it to expire and then dump it in their parking lot.
  31. StuartCarter

Even more so than other states, the beer choice is hugely variable depending on if you are "in major metro area" or "not in major metro area". Even at that, not all metro areas are the same - the Birmingham area accounts for about 25% of the state's population, but probably accounts for nearly half of the craft beer market. Huntsville, with less than 10% of the state's population, easily accounts for 20% of craft beer demand. That leaves "the rest of the state" fighting for about 30% of all the craft beer coming in.

So, yeah, for people like goldenpeanut, the choices can be grim - travel to a metro area (that may not even be in the same state), or deal with the indifferent choices in your local market :(
  32. Maybe it's time to challenge the 3 tier system.
    Kuemmelbrau and guinb like this.
  33. sommersb

[​IMG]
  34. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Rather than challenge the entire system, I think the way to go is going to be placing state laws on the books with exceptions to the system. It's a losing battle when a very vocal majority (BMC) have distributors, money, and politicians in their back pocket.

At this point, there's really nothing that can bring down the three-tier system entirely.