1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alabama Bottle Bill Passed!!

Discussion in 'US - South' started by xxcarpxx, May 10, 2012.

1. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

Senate passed the big bottle bill today.. now it needs signed by the Governor, and then the bottles roll in!! I would like to publicly thank the FREE THE HOPS organization for all the hard work you guys have done to help our beer movement .. Cheers to you guys..
    Any guesses at what brewey/beer will be our first big bottle to hit the shelf??
  2. Congrats to Alabama! Could you share the specifics of what the bill contains? Homebrewing as well as bombers/750s? Or did homebrewing already get legalized?
  3. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

bottle bill only deals with bottles - 25.4oz, 751ml.

Home brewing passed the house, but only has 2 legislative days left to come up in the senate. Going to be tight...
  4. Damn. Fingers crossed.

My in-laws from AL were up visiting this past weekend, and my FIL seemed to think that homebrewing was already allowed; I guess his neighbor is up to some shady business. ;)
  5. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

the legal status of home brewing in Alabama doesn't stop thousands of people enjoying it. They just enjoy it privately :)
  6. STKPICR0720

STKPICR0720 Savant (275) Alabama Mar 16, 2011

Great day for us here in Alabama. Thanks to FTH, you also Stuart and everyone else who contacted your rep and helped get this through today. I cannot wait to start adding new beers to my store. I believe we have until the first Monday 3 months after the bill is signed. WOW GREAT NEWS
  7. Rumrunner

Rumrunner Savant (420) California Jun 5, 2003

Here is to Freedom! Freedom for all!
  8. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Good to hear, Bama has made great strides to craft beer normalcy in the last few years. I wish our dumass Pols would take heed...
  9. STKPICR0720

STKPICR0720 Savant (275) Alabama Mar 16, 2011

Some of the distributors in Alabama have already ordered the 22oz and 750ml brews. I know Supreme Bev has BLVD Sixth Glass, Dark Truth, Double Wide and the Tank 7 in the 750 ml bottle. Also Birmingham Bev has some of the Founder's in 22 oz in their warehouse. Now why they ordered so early I am not sure.
  10. freduardo

freduardo Savant (390) Alabama Feb 19, 2007

a great day for beer lovers in alabama. it will be even better if the governor signs it. a pocket veto is in play, so he must sign it for it to become law. please politely urge him to do so.

email gov. bentley here: http://governor.alabama.gov/contact/contact_form.aspx

and/or call: 334-242-7100

and/or fax: 334-353-0004
  11. bdeast1

bdeast1 Aficionado (205) Alabama Feb 4, 2011

Yes, please all AL BA's politely email Gov. Bentley. As far as breweries who may come to Alabama, I've heard from some store owners that Jolly Pumpkin is interested as well as Oskar Blues. That will be a great day indeed.
  12. Any updates, since August 1 has come and gone? I'm out of country right now. Are there bombers on the shelves?
  13. GPHarris

GPHarris Savant (415) Alabama Mar 21, 2006

There are bombers on the shelves.