1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alabama breweries in explosive growth

Discussion in 'US - South' started by StuartCarter, Feb 20, 2013.

1. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

2. Seeing all of that Snake Handler is a wonderful thing. I moved out of AL this summer, but Straight to Ale was my regular haunt until then. Great guys and great beer.

EDIT: Has Good People started releasing Snake Handler in cans as a year-round, or still quarterly?

3. StuartCarter

Snake is a quarterly special release. GP have expanded into Tennessee as well.

4. Good for them.

Man, I miss Monkeynaught and Bourdeaux aged Laika from StA.

5. StuartCarter

Did you ever manage to try any Blue Pants? Their bourbon barrel aged Wee Heavy is unspeakably delicious.

6. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I'm in Tuscaloosa and I've never seen anything by Avondale or Blue Pants on shelves. I've tried the limited options of Back Forty beers (which have all been fantastic I must say) and I am about to try GP Brown. Druid City doesn't can or bottle their beers yet. But I love seeing the beer market here explode.

7. Drank plenty of Blue Pants and even made it out to their taproom. Their Pinstripe stout is quite good and their rye beer is also very solid. I would kill to try their BBA Wee Heavy. A favorite style of mine and only better BA-ed.

I was literally a five minute drive from Straight to Ale's brewery, so I started hanging out there when their taproom opened and, being a teacher, was there just about every other day during the summer. So glad to see Alabama breweries getting their love.

Have you been to Below the Radar brewpub yet? I know the owner (his daughter went to the school I taught at) and had some of the early batches in 2011 (the tripel and black IPA). Altogether pretty good, but I woud love to know how the place turned out.

I'll be in HSV during Memorial Day weekend. If you'd like to set up an IP trade, I wouldn't mind checking a bag with some stuff that y'all can't get in the 'bama.

8. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (205) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

Stragiht to Ale is solid. Stayed in Huntsville over the holidays this year and was able to grab a few bottles of their Unobtainium in a trade for some Stone products. Delicious!