Alabama & Florida craft beer

Discussion in 'South' started by MLaborde, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLaborde

MLaborde Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2014 Texas

I'm heading to the beach next weekend (from Texas) and would like to try some local beer from Alabama & Florida. I will be right on the state line so I can go to Pensacola or Foley (or OB/GS) to buy the beer.

I'm not really concerned with imports or national beers, even if they are difficult to find. I like trying the local and in-state only stuff.

I've researched a few liquor stores in those areas. I was wondering if I could get some advice on where my odds are best for finding a selection of beers from all over Alabama & Florida. As much as I would enjoy browsing 10-15 beer stores, my wife wouldn't find it quite as appealing.

Thanks!

2. OPJohn

OPJohn Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 Florida

Well, your Wife is in luck. The panhandle is largely a craft wasteland. There's Pensacola Bay Brewery but i've heard nothing about them. Proof brewing out of Tallahassee is a better option. Grasslands brewing is trying to get off the ground as well. I'd suggest you look at the "places" tab for potential bottle shops to check out. Look for CCB beers.

3. Volntitan

Volntitan Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 Tennessee

I can't help where to buy but look for straight to ale and good people. Both make good beer. There is a place I mobile I've heard of called cottage something that folks said is a decent beer store. I would check in the south forum for better info

4. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

If you are able to hit up Mobile, there are several spots for your 'Bama brewed beers. I only had time to hit up Cottage Hill Package Store when I was there back in November and they had plenty of stuff from AL, but not really much from FL. I think Jai Alai may have been the only CCB beer there at the time, if I recall right (besides a one-off collab with an AL brewer).

Since you mentioned Foley, I can only assume you would be passing Fairhope Brewing Company to wherever your final destination may be. Good brewer, but no beer to go though. (State laws, I think.) I believe there is a liquor store nearby that fills growlers of their beer that the brewery told me about, but I can't remember specifics.

Mikecap likes this.
  5. Mikecap

Mikecap Pooh-Bah (2,062) May 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I second the suggestion on Cottage Hill Package. Was there about a month ago and they have a huge selection of local and not so local but great craft beer. A nice selection of Westbrook, good 'Bama stuff, and also anything else distributed to the area. They did have CCB Jai Alai, Florida Cracker, and Maduro Brown when I was there. Highly recommend Straight To Ale's barrel-aged offerings.

RblWthACoz likes this.
  6. MLaborde

MLaborde Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2014 Texas

Thanks everyone! I'll be there a few days so maybe I can get to Mobile and Cottage Hill Package Store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.