Alabama lobbyist: Alcoholics start out "homebrewing and tasting"

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Franch, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

http://cnnradio.cnn.com/2013/02/04/the-bible-belt-brouhaha-over-beer/

[4:14] "I've met with some of the homebrewers and they tell me, 'Oh, we're fine upstanding citizens. We go to church, we're active in our community, we don't overindulge, we don't get drunk.' Well, they might not, but I've never met an alcoholic that started out saying, 'I'm going to become an alcoholic.' They start out socially drinking. They start out homebrewing and tasting."

2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

If your state always seems to be on the tail end of progression, often clinging to archaic laws that limit freedoms based on an arguably unconstitutionally legislated morality, there should be little bit of soul searching going on.

jrnyc, acevenom and Eriktheipaman like this.
  3. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

I am sort of conservative myself, but some things I read that are going on in those conservative US states, I don't know if I should laugh or get mad. (here i just said LOL, without laughing though)

4. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

The tongue-in-cheek response would be to say that he's got it all backwards; homebrewers start out as alcoholics;).

All jokes aside, real alcoholics probably aren't worried about a homebrew law and most likely do a fine job getting sloshed with what is already available. Their fight against homebrewers hurts no one but hobbyists and nascent entrepreneurs.

KYGunner and Kerrie like this.
  5. if someone has a drinking problem i doubt they're going to deliberately choose to make a batch of beer that takes weeks to months to become drinkable vs. just going to a liquor store.

KYGunner, jrnyc, acevenom and 2 others like this.
  6. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Sigh...oh Alabama. Having spent 23 years there, this doesn't surprise me a bit.
    Better keep homebrewing illegal. That guy buying a half dozen 1.75L bottles of Southern Comfort at the ABC Store? That's clearly for his entire extended family for consumption over the next 6 months.

semibaked and Kerrie like this.
  7. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

there is no accounting for stupid, and ALCAP have built their little kingdom on stupidity, fear, and ignorance.

8. I homebrew and I drink socially. The two are extremely unrelated.

9. Ariz

Ariz Aficionado (110) Alabama May 2, 2009

Home brewing legalization has a much better shot at passing this year. The representative that's been the biggest proponent is now the chair of the rules committee. Basically he gets to determine which bills and when they get to come up for a vote in the house. So the home brew bill will likely get voted on early in the session. This is a huge advantage since often such bills often don't get considered until late in the session and die because the other body of the legislature runs out of time.

10. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Ya fuck this guy!

nickfl likes this.
  11. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Introspection is a cognative process. We're talking about Alabama here.

TheBeerAlmanac and Kerrie like this.
  12. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

Says the guy who can't spell correctly? ;-)

13. This just hits to close to home for me not to comment. As a native of twenty-one years who now resides in Tacoma, WA and visits family often this shart does not surprise me in the least bit.

My family in Hsv, Bama, whom I love dearly, says I drink way to much and my friends who brew and drink with are a bad influence. I was told I need better friends. Most of this coming from my father who smokes a pack a day, thoroughly enjoyed his local brewery tours here in Tacoma a few weeks ago and has a beer when no one is looking. I think that pretty much sums it up.

14. Ariz

Ariz Aficionado (110) Alabama May 2, 2009

The home brew bill in Mississippi passed the Senate this week. It still needs to go through the house. It would suck if MS passed this before AL. It could still be legal in AL first though. The bill in MS is written so it does not go in effect until July if it passes. The AL bill as it stands now will go into effect immediately after the bill is signed by the governor or otherwise becoming law.

15. I almost pointed out the irony but didn't want to be grammar nazi.

16. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (490) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

I find the correlation of alcoholism and homebrew to be absurd on many levels. One, I'm a police officer who has extensive experience with true alcoholics and have seen the how lazy and inpatient they tend to be. Second, as a reformed home brewer who threw away more than I drank I can assure you that a true alcoholic would never stand for pouring beer down a drain.

What's funny is that I've met a lot of moonshiners who are not alcoholics because they respect the art and don't want to drink a product they can sell and feed their family.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  17. nickfl

nickfl Champion (770) Florida Mar 7, 2006

It saddens me, not so much that this guy and people like him exist, but that a large portion of the population is stupid enough to allow themselves to be told what to do and think by such a pandering, transparent asshat.

EdwardMilhouseRyerson likes this.
  18. Momma used to say "stupid is as stupid does"

woosterbill likes this.
  19. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

a more accurate title for this article would be "lobbyist who is the executive director of a hard core neo-prohibitionist group says something stupid to advance his political agenda"

TrappistJohnMD likes this.