1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Alaska beer advice

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by DrinkingWithCruthers, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Greetings all, I've decided to enter into the murky depths of the BA forums for the first time and would love to dispense my first-hand knowledge of the Great State's wonderful beer culture and to try my best to answer any and all questions related to beer, breweries and places to visit along a beer tour.

I'll be following this thread for the next couple weeks, so if I don't answer immediately, be assured I will do my best to get back to it ASAP. Bam.

2. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (350) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

Nice to see some Alaska beer talk. Have you tried the King Street chocolate coconut porter by chance? Debating whether to get a growler.

3. Holy heck! I have not and they are one of my favorite new breweries in Anchorage. If their regular beer is any indication, I would say you couldn't go wrong. I'll be stopping by there soon myself and update this after.

4. Are there any breweries or bars that welcome outside beers brought in for sharing in anchorage?

5. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Savant (300) Alaska Dec 13, 2010

This beer is legit. I got a growler tonight and King Street doesn't disappoint...as usual

DrinkingWithCruthers likes this.
  6. Not that I know of. Alaska has fairly strict alcohol regulations and Anchorage has additional laws that restrict its distribution and consumption even further. A good resource for sharing and finding people to share and talk with would be the Great Northern Brewers Club. http://www.greatnorthernbrewers.org/ . Also Darwin's Bar in downtown regularly buys 22oz random bottles for consuming on the premises along with some more interesting 12oz bottles.

7. JohnnyP3

Anyone going to try and get tickets for Gabe Fletcher's beer tasting event in April?

8. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Savant (300) Alaska Dec 13, 2010

Yes!

9. You have to go to the moose's tooth pizzeria right off the Seward near midtown. Great beer and the pizza is good too. My fav is the pipeline porter. Another good place to find is glacier brew house on 5th and snow goose on 3rd.

10. JohnnyP3

I have to say that I think Glacier is a sometimes-forgotten gem as far as beer goes. In my opinion, their IPA is above average. They won best winter seasonal at the festival this year with an eisbock that was quite good, and they are barleywine masters. Especially when they bring out all the big guns from the cellar for their 12-days-of-barleywine celebration before the holidays each year.

11. Went there last may and had a barleywine for breakfast, I thought it was amazing. Only wish I could have brought some home.

12. JohnnyP3

Anyone try the new Pilot Series offering from Alaskan -- Troppelbock I think it is called. Looking forward to picking up a couple bombers to try this one out.

13. I'll have to keep my yes open down here in WA form that one. I wish I could have gotten my hands on their perseverance ale.

14. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (310) California Nov 22, 2011

If any AK folks come across any MS 3000, I'll be in ANC in 2 weeks and could bring something to trade from CA/ west coast or I could just pay for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, what's the availability of arctic devil looking like in ANC right now?

15. I am looking for Anchorage brewing glassware and any other HTF glassware from AK.
    Can trade local glassware and or beer.. Thanks

16. unclekeith

unclekeith Savant (410) Alaska Sep 4, 2012

17. unclekeith

I just tried the Full Sail Berliner Weisse and really enjoyed it. What are other examples of the style you would recommend that are available in South Central Alaska?
    Thanks

18. redmaw

redmaw Savant (360) Pennsylvania Jun 30, 2013

I had this when I was in Alaska on a cruise, I think it's my favorite beer so far. (I'm somewhat new to craft beer still).

19. unclekeith

20. JohnnyP3

21. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (465) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

i took a look at it on a friend's phone earlier this week. it's pretty cool, but it's definitely missing growler bars in fairbanks and delta, and i fear it's going to be a real struggle to keep it all up to date. i'd jump on it even so for $2. i'd be tempted at $3, but for $5, it's just not worth it to me...

22. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

I will be Anchorage towards the end of the month and was hoping to get some local intel on the best bottle shop to find some tasty AK brews to bring home. It's the last stop on a long trip but I might be able to bring some beers with if anyone was up for an IP trade. I leave Sunday (18 Aug) so just hit me up prior to that. Thanks in advance.

23. itracy63

itracy63 Savant (455) Alaska Apr 20, 2013

Brown Jug Warehouse at Tudor and the Old Seward Highway and La Bodega in the Metro Mall on Benson Blvd., across from Sears. They are less than a five minute drive from each other, as well.

24. Momar42

That's what I was guessing. Anyone know when Treat comes out from midnight sun?

25. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (465) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

usually september....

26. Momar42

Thanks. Guess I'm just gonna miss it. I'm on the east coast so if any of y'all want to meet up or do an IP trade, shoot me a BM. Like to meet some Alaskan BAs

27. itracy63

When are you in Anchorage? I'll be there Aug. 19-21, then I'm going on vacation. Shoot me a message if those dates work at all.

28. Momar42

Ill be there 28-30 August sorry.

29. unclekeith

Other places to check out: Midnight Sun Brewery / Brewpub and also there is a brand new Brown Jug location at 9200 Old Seward with a 40 tap growler bar.

30. Momar42

Anyone know if love buzz is still around at either the brewery or the bottle shops?

31. Reswald

Reswald Savant (330) Alaska Mar 31, 2007

32. unclekeith

nikalus31 likes this.
  33. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (310) California Nov 22, 2011

I haven't seen love buzz around town in a while. I was just in ANC again last week, La Bodega only had Tide and it's Takers and Galaxy. I think La Bodega is the best overall bottle shop in town, but you can find some real gems at random Brown Jug locations and also stop in at the Anchorage Wine House stores (jewel lake and huffman park locations), I recently found some real gems...older bottles collecting dust. Definitely worth a stop if you have the time.

34. unclekeith

Midnight Sun announced on FB that another round of Berserker will be available in bottles next week - of course someone made a wise guy comment about infections but that comment was gone by this morning.

There have been a few "second running" beers at the brewpub recently: Monkey Chug & Second Hand Smoke. The first runnings have been barrel aged in the past: Arctic Devil & Bar Fly. So just speculation (I know Arctic Devil is no surprise) but maybe some Bar Fly to look fwd to this Fall.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/385/67311

35. Got a pour of bar fly out of the fermenter when I was there in may, they made it seem like it would be like spring before it came out of the barrels

unclekeith likes this.
  36. AKfaust

AKfaust Initiate (0) Alaska Nov 20, 2008

The only Berliner brewed here recently was a peach from Sleepy Lady Brewing Company. Greg did a great job.

BrewBoone likes this.
  37. AKfaust

AKfaust Initiate (0) Alaska Nov 20, 2008

Anyone try the Barley Wine from King Street? I saw a few bottles the other day but didn't grab one.

38. nikalus31

nikalus31 Aficionado (125) Alaska May 23, 2011

Looking forward to trying King St's BW. They released a few cases to Brown Jug, but plan on releasing more in the next few months. There's not going to be lot of it, so grab it while you can.

39. itracy63

Bought several bottles of Nobility, I liked their Irish Gael stout better, but the barley wine is very good, as well.

40. unclekeith

[​IMG]

Brewed at Anchorage Brewing Co - coming soon according to ABC facebook.