1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alesmith BA Kopi Luwak and BA Decadence 2011 Bottle Sale

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by HaveUSeenMyCellar, Feb 14, 2013.

1. From Brewery moments ago
    Barrel Aged Decadence 2011 & Barrel Aged Kopi Luwak Speedway Stout Bottle Sale
    Our second Reserve Series release of 2013 will be Barrel Aged Decadence 2011 and our first ever bottling of Barrel Aged Kopi Luwak Speedway Stout. A little information about each of these beers:
    Barrel Aged Decadence 2011 is our Maple Smoked Barleywine (brewed to celebrate our 16th anniversary) matured in premium bourbon barrels. This will be our only release of this limited edition bottling. We'll also tap a cask of Barrel Aged Decadence 2011 in the tasting room on Tuesday, February 26th.
    Barrel Aged Kopi Luwak Speedway Stoutis our award winning year round Speedway Stout with Kopi Luwak Coffee that has been matured in premium bourbon barrels. Considered one of the world's most expensive and rare coffee varieties, the beans are specifically selected for their ripeness and quality by the civet, a small jungle marsupial that feeds of the fruit of the coffee cherry. Good to the last dropping!
    Starting February 19th, you will be able to purchase up to three (3) bottles of Barrel Aged Decadence 2011 and up to three (3) bottles of Barrel Aged Kopi Luwak Speedway Stout and your name will be registered (you will need to use your name for each bottle). Any duplicate sales to the same name will be voided! We want to make this as fair as possible and get as many bottles into our wonderful customer's hands! Please USE ONLY YOUR NAME TO PURCHASE THE BOTTLES. YOUR PURCHASE IS JUST FOR YOUR BOTTLES. YOU CANNOT PURCHASE BOTTLES UNDER SOMEONE ELSE'S NAME OR FOR SOMEONE ELSE. IF YOU BUY THEM, YOU MUST PICK THEM UP.
    Bottles can be picked up starting Saturday, February 23rd in the AleSmith Tasting Room. Bottles can be retrieved during tasting room hours from February 23rd through Sunday, April 21st (Tue/Wed/Thur: 2-8pm, Fri: 2-9pm, Sat: 11am-8pm & Sun: 11am-6pm.) Any bottles not retrieved by SUNDAY, APRIL 21ST will be surrendered back to the brewery (no exceptions). Please DO NOT PURCHASE BOTTLES UNLESS YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE BREWERY BY APRIL 21ST, 2013. Proxies will not be allowed for this release, you will need to show your proof of purchase (in the form of CONFIRMATION EMAIL FROM BROWN PAPER TICKETS) and valid id to retrieve your bottles. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE. This means you will NOT be able to pick up anyone else's bottles, and we will not release the bottles to you without a confirmation and valid id matching the name on the sale!
    Please ensure you only pick up bottles during the following dates/times: Tue/Wed/Thur: 2-8pm, Fri: 2-9pm, Sat: 11am-8pm & Sun: 11am-6pm. Please do not purchase bottles until you've read the terms and conditions listed below and can ensure you will be able to pick up your bottles by SUNDAY, APRIL 21ST, 2013!
    To purchase tickets, please visit our Brown Paper Tickets sale page located here. The page will not go live until twelve (12) prior to the start of bottle sales!
  2. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (270) California Sep 10, 2011

3. Mmmmmm BA Kopi Luwak......
  4. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

If you purchase the beers, make sure you can pick them up! Alesmith has a tendency to not refund your money if something happens and you miss the pickup deadline, and they are very hard to reach via phone or email.
  5. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (365) California Mar 13, 2009

Shut up and take my money
    jpeck13, corby112, barfdiggs and 3 others like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Isn't that what this means?

"Any bottles not retrieved by SUNDAY, APRIL 21ST will be surrendered back to the brewery (no exceptions)."
    MCorrea likes this.
  7. For those too lazy to click the link, they are both $32.04 a bottle after service fees.
  8. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (365) California Mar 13, 2009

Not sure what the big deal is. If you don't make it, you surrender it.
    They've always made that clear.
  9. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Dammit. Way to ruin my Valetine's Day, Alesmith.
    JustXBeer likes this.
  10. Dammit, somehow Alesmith has found a way to extract a smooth 100 bucks or so from me on a consistent bi-monthly / monthly basis...
    kotayk likes this.
  11. Zwans0n

Zwans0n Disciple (60) California Mar 9, 2012

Looks like it's about time for a road trip to Alesmith, Alpine, etc. bummer about the proxy rules
  12. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Mules 4 Walez, bro.
    JustXBeer likes this.
  13. I feel like if I lived in SoCal I would end up a hobo wandering the streets with nothing to my name except a shopping cart of soiled clothed and beer. Do want.
    KaslD and KevSal like this.
  14. BA kopi? Maybe we'll finally be able to free poor little BA Abraxas and CW 15 from their captors.

Also, if these Alesmith special releases are going to continue with the same regularity and superiority, i would think it tempting for many to ditch the reserve society and just buy their big beers from Alesmith, who does not demand $300 to $700 for access and is making perhaps the best BA beers in California right now.
    MCorrea, John11486, ryno09 and 2 others like this.
  15. domtronzero

Yah and then we'll have less people bitching about how the Bruery is so fucked up in the way they're running everything. It actually sounds like a beautiful idea to me. I'm with you on this one 100%; let's make it happen.
    KaslD and Franch like this.
  16. I was just trying to figure out when to go pick up my last order and then this! Awesome that the pick-up windows overlap so I can pick up both orders on the same trip.
  17. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

I wonder how many will buy multiple bottles of a $30+ beer yet still bitch about the cost of 1 SS growler.

Of course...those rules may have just changed.
    Destral and domtronzero like this.
  18. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

Like I stated last time, I'm pretty sure this is illegal. CA is pretty strict about no expiration dates on coupons or gift certs. I think they could refund you, or transfer it to future "store" credit, or probably even donate it to charity, but I seriously doubt that they can just seize the beers themselves. They refunded me last time I brought this up in a thread, though I have to say that overall their customer service lately has been really spotty, at best. Too bad too, cause I'd be happy to argue that they're the best overall brewery in SD county.
  19. Can't speak to the legality of it, but I am glad they do it. If not, locals could lose..out of towners order up the release and have forever to pick them up.
  20. domtronzero

Yah my customer service experience with them has been terrible. i was double-charged for the BA Speedway release a few months ago. They never responded to my emails, and it took weeks for them to refund me my money. I finally received an email that said "We'll fix it," and that was it. I had to check my credit card account to see when the refund actually took place. It's a shame too, cuz they're such a great brewery. Oh well, it wasn't really that big of a deal, but still...
    ikaika122 and jtmartino like this.
  21. SUBER

SUBER Aficionado (210) California Jan 26, 2013

I'll be someones mule for this....BM me..
  22. I don't understand the connection? Alesmith doesn't say you won't be refunded your $$ if you don't pick it up by then from what I read. Personally, I think it would be ok if they didn't though so long as they said it up front (liquidated damages for storage!). If you can't abide by the terms of sale, don't enter into said contract/sales agreement.

Hmm. (wheels turning). . . Son has birthday and spring break the week before the pickup date. Hey son, you like Sea World and the SD zoo right? Oh I gotta stop in here real quick and pick something up. . .
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  23. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

had a discussion with a few friends about this. You are buying a "ticket", not a coupon or gift certificate. California simply states that the seller has to have a statement of refunds and exchanges for goods and services (gift certs are totally separate). Aesmith accomplishes this by stating all sales are final, no refunds or exchanges.

citing my sources:
    http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/refund_policies
    MCorrea and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  24. Looks like more money out of my bank account! /shakesfist
    JustXBeer likes this.
  25. Damn, I'd give up a kidney to try BA Kopi Luwak. Time to try and call in some favors.
  26. I for one have no issues with membership programs like the Bruery And Crooked Stave offer. You get the the initial purchase value back in beer and swag during the course of the membership. The Bruery would not be able to keep up with demand for special release beers and events without having some sort of limit. If the they didn't have the membership program and everything was first come first serve, you would have long waits for reduced limits due to their popularity. I feel like I bought 300 bucks worth of beer and the having the right for first dibs on special beers and events is gravy.

That being said, Alesmith is a great brewery and also have no issues with how they do releases via the website and no trustees either. Now if they would just BA the Vietnamese SS I would die a happy man.
  27. Coming down March 1-2nd....anyone from Bay Area need a ride, I'll take 1 bottle of their allocaiton. Driving down Friday, back up Saturday. Quick SD hit since I have a flight to catch Sunday morning. :p
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  28. I would definitely take you up on that if I wasnt going to Block 15 anniversary bottle release that day. Anyone from the Sactown area heading down to SD in March? If so, I will definitely put in my order for bottles and possibly give up a BA Decadence and some Gas money too?!?! ;)
  29. My Parents live in Roseville, and I am dropping our Jack Russell off at their place before I head down.
  30. Good point, but there are downsides. For example, $50 of your $300 RS membership will go towards two bottles of BA 5 Golden Rings, which isn't good for much unless you need something especially vile to pour over the heads of your enemies.

And you know what's funny, one of the HS benefits is that they only force you to buy one BA 5GR. Had I noticed that perk I might have gone with the upgrade. Damn.
  31. I missed out on BASS but not this time!
  32. They have to get rid of the mistakes some how.

Cheers!
  33. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Hmm... I think I might...
  34. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

With your avatar, I never get tired of reading that reply.
    pmarlowe and crusian like this.
  35. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

you'll need gas after all that driving and there just happens to be a gas station on the way to/from alesmith off the 5.
  36. jtmartino

Calm down, just wanted to throw out the warning. I wasn't able to get down there in time, and I just wanted to give the heads-up to others.

Just wish they had better customer service, responding to emails, returning my voicemails or simply answering their phone.
    domtronzero likes this.
  37. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I've never had to contact them for anything, but the really weird thing about this is that almost everyone says their customer service is terrible, except at the pub where it's great. I had a good experience there and everyone I've ever talked to about them has said the same. I wonder what the disconnect is.
  38. jtmartino

Maybe they're just super busy with all these awesome beers and releases? :)
  39. Ah sweet. Yeah I will be in Oregon 3/1-3/4, but man now I wish I wasnt going to Oregon, I am only about 5-10mins from the Galleria Mall. :(
  40. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

I've not had great service at the pub. Nothing bad, but just unfriendly when pouring the beers. I've never particularly felt comfortable there, even though I'm often spending hundreds of dollars (used to buy kegs there). I'm really not that much of an asshole in real life, so I'm not sure why.

Your link describes how returns work, no particularly applicable for refunds.

Also, why is this a ticket and not a gift certificate? It's not an event, you're purchasing a material, take-away good.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say be disrespectful and buy knowing that you'll likely not make it. I got BASS and Wee Heavy because I knew I was going down for sure. I missed BA Decadence because two work trips to SD got cancelled on me, which is highly unusual. I won't buy BA Lupi or BAD, because I don't think it's likely I'll make it down before April. But I really don't think it's legal to just take the bottles without giving a refund. Real lawyers can feel free to chime in.