1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alesmith BA Kopi Luwak and BA Decadence 2011 Bottle Sale

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by HaveUSeenMyCellar, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

Not that I care really
    ehammond1 and usofar like this.
  2. LSUPT

LSUPT Initiate (0) California Feb 3, 2011

Shit, can I direct deposit my paychecks to AleSmith? Missed out on BA Kopi but damn, BAD, expo, went to The Bruery yesterday; I'm pretty freaking broke now.

Any word as to whether this will be a similar release to the past two with the beers on-tap day of?
    ehammond1 likes this.
  3. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Usually they say in the newsletter that they're doing some stuff the day off, but that was absent this time. Who knows.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  4. I think talking-to-yourself is a symptom of too much trading.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  5. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

Or too much drinking?
    ehammond1, APreacher and usofar like this.
  6. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (380) California Mar 4, 2011

It's a fun game... trade a beer away that you've never tried for another beer that you've never tried.
    Lets call it beer gambling...
    ehammond1 likes this.
  7. BA Decadence 2011 will be on cask next Tuesday. Other than that, I don't think they had any special plans.
  8. Thanks for the reminder about this sale, BA. Got me the bottle of BA Decadence I wanted!
  9. Precisely!
  10. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Ur a scorpion bro
    But in ur defense they r all charity events
  11. quetzal013

quetzal013 Savant (250) California Feb 16, 2011

I got 99 problems but AleSmith ain't 1.
  12. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

That is less than I give to Alpine a month and I actually drink all those beers.
  13. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Thinking about getting some BA Decadence to pour over steaks on the grill.
    kojevergas and besaunders like this.
  14. Thanks for causing an unplanned monitor cleaning, Bob Hope.
  15. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (520) California Sep 25, 2009

How many read this in Sean Connery's voice in their head? Your the man now dawg, or should I say, Highlander.
  16. Really? How out of touch is BA that this isn't automatically read in Jay-Z's voice?
    Angst, robL, Azrael and 1 other person like this.
  17. I bought these to put in my closet so I can take them out from time to time and admire them and think how lucky I was to get them...Are people really going to drink these?! Nuts...
  18. Anybody try these yet? I have a BA Kopi in my fridge, and I tried the BA Decadence 2011 at the tasting room yesterday. The cask was quite yummy, the standard version slightly less so but still pretty good. Both were worlds better than the non-aged Decadence 2011, in my opinion.
  19. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

When i went to pick mine up on Saturday, I was really hoping they would have ONE of them on tap... seems standard for a brewery release, yes?
  20. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Don't assume anything unless they tell you in the newsletter. =p They're pretty good about laying out all the information they have.
    CoolEthan likes this.
  21. sdpaul

sdpaul Savant (285) California May 2, 2012

I was pretty bummed I couldn't try BA Kopi on tap..when I picked up my bottles
  22. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

I thought the opposite. I found the BA Dec to be dull and bland on cask. Draft was boozy (in a good way) with the smoke nearly gone, and the maple is just a hint in the background.
  23. I am dull and bland, so that probably is a good match for me.
  24. Four hads and one review so far:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/396/86108/?show_hads=Y
  25. We did a "horizontal" at our most recent DTLA bottle share this weekend and had a Speedway, BA Speedway, Kopi and BA Kopi. All 4 were amazing, imo, and only when forced to pick upon my last sips of each did I choose BA Kopi over BA Speedway. I felt it had a hint more of coffee and a hint less of sweetness than the BA Speedway, but it was a nearly impossible choice. Who knows tho, I used to love the really sweet BA stouts, and recently I've been really enjoying BA coffee stouts, so it's just a matter of personal taste in the moment.
    sportstsar likes this.
  26. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

i was there yesterday, and they had the BA decadence on tap. didnt try it as im not interested in it, but it was there
  27. Did they have BA Kopi on tap?
  28. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Nope. They didn't have any at all on Saturday during the "release" nor yesterday when I went. I asked about it and was told that there *might* be some in kegs, but the answer was intentionally ambiguous. As was the answer to my question about bottle counts.
  29. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

no. they didnt have any variations of speedway on unfortunately
  30. funkel81

funkel81 Savant (410) California Jan 23, 2011

has anyone ever had success dealing with their customer service? if yes, please explain how. thanks
  31. Xul

Xul Advocate (500) California May 18, 2008

The first BPT sale (BAD 2010 I think), I was double charged because of a bug with how BPT handled the timeout of the cart - I emailed Abby, explained what happened, and had both a response and refund within 90 minutes. I know a lot of other people have had trouble getting a response, but a polite email with a clear explanation of what happened (including transaction numbers) yielded quick and positive results for me.
  32. I had an identical experience.
  33. This may have a lot to do with the type of problem being reported. It seems to me that your situations are pretty clear cut.
  34. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

After about 6 failed phone calls, I had success via email. It just took a long time (6 weeks) for them to do anything about it. Reach out to Abby at abby@alesmith.com
  35. funkel81

yea, i've sent 3 very polite emails to abby and haven't heard a peep back in about 10 days...
  36. What was your issue, if you don't mind sharing?
  37. funkel81

bought 3 kopi speedways for myself, then had my gf buy her allotment. i used my credit card for both bc she's a broke college student and i'm not...didn't think that would be an issue at first, but after actually reading the terms of sale thought it might be breaking their rules. i was basically emailing alesmith for clarification and told them i was sorry if i had sinned...though still unsure if i had since i havent heard back. they didnt void the 2nd sale, so i dont know
  38. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

should have just let it be. I don't think there would have been a problem necessarily, especially if the charges went through. Good luck.
  39. funkel81

yea maybe, but i honestly wasn't trying to break the 'law'...i'll report back if i hear anything
  40. They don't read emails, so you're fine.