1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Alesmith Barrel Aged Grand Cru

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mmikey8, Apr 9, 2013.

1. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Tickets go on sale April 22nd. I'm not a HUGE fan of reg. Grand Cru, but this one sounds worth seeking out - just wish it didn't break the wallet :eek:

Barrel Aged Grand Cru is our Belgian-Style Ale that has been matured in American and French oak red wine barrels for a year to add layers of complexity to its rich flavor profile of dark fruit and Belgian caramel malts. The oak and red wine flavors imparted by the barrel-aging process blend seamlessly with subtle hints of raisin, plum, and bittersweet chocolate from the beer!

2. Is this the only one releasing this time around? Really hoping they bottle the Vietnamese speedway soon

dianimal and getinked like this.
  3. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Finally an Anvil newsletter I wasn't excited about!!! My wallet was relieved.

4. mmikey8

Yes, only 1 release this time around :( . I'm hoping Vietnamese gets bottled as well and released SOON! Would be awesome if they are Barrel aging it..

5. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (335) California Oct 17, 2009

I really like Grand Cru, but I'm not sure how I feel about the red wine barrels. Seems like an odd choice for the flavor profile of Grand Cru. That being said, I will be buying three.

vissai and xgeneralzodx like this.
  6. heatwaves

I'm pretty sure that this is racist.

7. Anyone able to say what is on at the tasting room presently?

8. Tieman

Tieman Aficionado (210) California Oct 16, 2007

I'm pretty sure when I stopped in on Sunday they listed a cask of vanilla nut brown getting tapped today.

9. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (390) California Mar 4, 2011

Also BA Numbskull

leschkie likes this.
  10. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I'll be skipping this one meself. Still, I do like to see that Alesmith is playing around with red wine barrel aging. This bodes well for the future.

11. Grant35

Grant35 Savant (315) California Jul 7, 2012

Wait, what?!!! BA numbskull is on tap right now???

12. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (390) California Mar 4, 2011

From FB today: Nut Brown Ale with Vanilla is on the beer engine today! Plus, we've tapped one more keg of Barrel Aged Old Numbskull to put on tap (tasters only until it's gone), we've got Lactic Lil' Devil back on tap and Wee Heavy is on nitro! All in limited quantities... hurry on by before you miss out!

dianimal and Grant35 like this.
  13. Grant35

Grant35 Savant (315) California Jul 7, 2012

#drool.

14. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

This would be flat out ridiculous. I cant wait for the BA Vietnamese vs BCBCS vs KBS threads.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  15. Please do not insult Speedway variations with comparisons to KBS

SageO, gshak, dman5400 and 5 others like this.
  16. JMagee

JMagee Aficionado (190) New York Jan 2, 2013

Hey Jack...hey.

17. is it weird that when I hear Vietnamese Speedway all I picture is stout with Pho flavors in it? and I am ok with that.

ok sorry... now back on topic.

18. For some reason, they pulled the Lactic Lill' Devil off. Not sure if they ran out or if something else was going on, but since it was around 4:30 that I noticed this I suspect it is the case of the latter. They did put up a new Speedway variant in its place - Speedway with Arabian Mocha Java coffee. I liked this one - strong coffee kick without the lingering bitterness.

The nitro Wee Heavy sucks, by the way. It's awful. Save yourselves and don't get any. I'll make the ultimate sacrifice and work on it myself.

cocoapuph likes this.
  19. You would be mistaken. It's a glorious creamed coffee aroma and smell.

dman5400 likes this.
  20. haha ya I know, I also know Pho flavored beer would be weird as hell.... but judging by the reviews it sounds absolutely splendid...

21. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (495) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Anyone got a link? Brown paper tickets I assume?

22. mmikey8

23. ISO: Growler of Vietnamese Speedway (if its still on tap)

24. Is it so difficult to follow a Facebook page? This isn't exactly secret information.

25. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (855) California Nov 29, 2006

But how are the flavor and the taste?

mrkrispy and Etan like this.
  26. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

Like pho, obviously.

Barrel-aged Grand Cru, pass. What a meh beer. It's going to taste infected like BA Decadence 08.

27. A) I rarely use Facebook
    B) Vietnamese speedway hasn't been mentioned by them on Facebook since March 12
    C) I apologize if my post bugged you. Seriously

YogiBeer, 1up and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  28. B: There is a reason for that - it isn't up. And usually when it is up, it is only for 4 oz. tasters because it is a pin keg. Very seldom they allow "grumbler" fills, but I've never ever seen them fill growlers of it. Think you'll need to wait for the bottle release.

C: I wasn't bugged. I was incredulous that information that is readily available wasn't being heeded. Even if it wasn't clear, all you'd have to do is ask on their page.

29. :eek:

30. FIGHT! FIGHT!!

dman5400 likes this.
  31. Sorry, it wasn't that at all. Just me being snarky.

32. PG2G

PG2G Savant (425) California Dec 26, 2011

I actually got a grumbler of Vietnamese Speedway in Feb when I went down to pick up my Kopi Luwak and BA Old Knumbskull.

33. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

Interesting thought, the last bottle of that I had was absolutely incredible. I may have to buy these.

34. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

I have an extra BAkopi speedway stout. If someone in San Diego has an extra 2010 or 2011 Black Tuesday I would be willing to do an in person trade. If its 2011 I would need an extra bonus like a package of pop rocks or a burnt copy of Tyler the creator's Goblin cd

35. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Someone fall on this grenade and report back please.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  36. You don't see this ending well, eh?

They are having the release party this coming Sunday. You could go by for a taster and limit your exposure. I suspect the keg will probably not be kicked and will still be around the following Tuesday, but I've been wrong before when assuming stuff like that.

37. heatwaves

For the amount of quality beers that Alesmith churns out, it's puzzling that this one isn't being given the benefit of the doubt before anyone has actually tasted it.

SageO likes this.
  38. It's still available for sale.

39. Big_V

Big_V Savant (305) Maryland Nov 30, 2012

One of my favorite brewery. Difficult to get from east coast. :(