1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

AleSmith Brewing Company Barrel Aged Speedway Stout Release

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by jamex, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Come down for Stone's 12.12.12 shindig

ehammond1 and NoSignsOfPain like this.
  2. goveia75

goveia75 Savant (260) California Mar 20, 2011

Is this the version with the Kopi label? It only mentions Ryan Bros in the release details.

3. Just snagged my 4 bottles

4. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

The shipping won't go into effect next year, so it has never been a problem.

And the servers were upgraded for this year's BT release, which is why they were able to sell 3k bottles in 10 minutes. If we were comparing this year's BASS to last year's BT, that'd be a different story.

I also have a feeling 1500+ people didn't log onto Brown Paper Tickets today all at the same time trying to buy the beer. There is indeed a marketing disparity between the two.

I'm fine with not having proxies - in fact I find it preferable. But in comparing this year's BT release to today's BASS release, I'd say they were equally smooth. I got on the minute they went on sale, and I completed my transaction within 3 minutes. Pretty straightforward.

I think the comparison/BT bashing is unwarranted. Both are awesome $30 barrel-aged stouts. And if you were on the ball, you could now have at least 6 bottles of great beer to keep you happy this holiday season. :)

AndresR, Retsinis and vurt like this.
  5. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezey, and still on sale!

6. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

I don't buy Bruery's underattenuated nightmares. BT is tasty but not worth the trouble. I bought 2 BASS', mostly b/c I don't feel the need to blow $180 on 6 bottles of beer.

7. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

Underattenuated? You really need a refresher on attenuation. Their yeast is a monster, and one of the reasons most of their offerings are high alcohol. I believe this years BT was 85+% attenuation in fact. I can accept that the beers they make aren't for everyone's taste or wallet, but to say that they are underattenuated is just laughable.

ehammond1 likes this.
  8. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Not interested in the debate, but I'm curious - where did you find out the OG/FG and/or attenuation level of BT? I recall reading an interview discussing the varying ABV of BT from year to year and how they reach it, but I don't recall any specific discussion of attenuation in it.

9. 3rdto1st

I am in a homebrew club that had a special event at the tasting room/actual brewery. In the course of conversation with one of the brewing guys (I honestly can't remember which), it was mentioned offhand.

ehammond1 likes this.
  10. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Gotcha...I also recall in that same interview that they feed the beer quite a bit of pure sugar during primary to boost ABV, so I'm not surprised that overall attenuation is so high. I'd be curious to know what kind of attenuation they see without any of the sugar additions.

11. As someone stated in the comments page of BP tickets, you need to use a computer, not your smartphone to purchase.

12. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

I'm curious how legal this is. I also lost my Decadence bottles (work trips to SD got cancelled, and replaced with international travel). They didn't even get back to me when I asked for an extension though.

13. MacNCheese

In such a massive beer that might be possible, given the high levels of alcohol I wouldn't be overly surprised, but many of their 'belgian inspired' beers are sticky sweet messes. More for you, enjoy the diabetes.

14. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (545) California Sep 25, 2009

You agreed to the terms and conditions upon payment, and since it was clearly disclosed to you, how exactly would that be illegal?

They were pretty clear that anyone that is not 100% postive they can pick up their bottles, in person, by the deadline, should not buy bottles. Sounds like that changed after the fact for you, which is a bummer of course.

MCorrea and BrewtifulMind like this.
  15. 3rdto1st

Thanks, I shall

16. BASS? Seriously? Does every beer with a name is longer than four of five letters need some ridiculous abbreviation/initialism?

17. MacNCheese

Uh...it's been called that for years. Where have you been?

18. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I recall them saying that depending on how the yeast was going they might not add any sugar.
    WCS, BGAR, TIH.
    Honestly I think this is the first time I've noticed someone calling it that. I think BA Speedway is way more common.

kmatlack likes this.
  19. rrryanc

California is pretty consumer-friendly when it comes to paying for goods and not receiving them, even with clearly stated expiration dates. See every gift-card, coupon, or groupon out there. As my old man is fond of saying, "you can't sign away your rights." So just because it's stated ahead of time doesn't make it law.

I'm definitely not going to sue them, and can't even say I learned from my lesson - as I bought another couple of BA Speedways. I was just wondering whether one of the armchair lawyers out there knew whether is was actually legal.

20. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

Honestly I think this is the first time I've noticed someone calling it that. I think BA Speedway is way more common.[/quote]

BASS isn't used to often on the forums, but I do know that Alesmith refers to it as BASS as I remember seeing some of their paper work during the last release so maybe that is what M-n-C (;)) was referring to Alesmith using the acronym

MacNCheese likes this.
  21. nanobrew

Do you get a refund (or credit) though? Seems like that would be the deciding factor on whether you can challenge the rule.

22. This might be a stupid question but did you guys list your name down as each attendee for bottles you bought? If someone else is coming with, do I need to list their name as well?

23. nanobrew

what do you mean if someone is coming with you? Did you order more than 4 bottles? The person who ordered the beer has to be the one who gets it, as their name is on the ticket. Not sure what will happen if you didn't put your name on each one. However, I am guessing your name under "buyer" is listed just not under "attendee", so you should be fine.

ehammond1 likes this.
  24. I meant bringing a friend to the party, the bottles are going under my name. I was about to order 3 and it says "Ticket #1 - AleSmith Brewing Company Barrel Aged Speedway Stout Release - Nov 05, 2012 12:00 PM - Bottle of BA Speedway Stout", then has boxes to enter your first and last name. I was just wondering if I needed to put my name in 3 times, or list names of people who will be attending with me. Seems like an admission to the party, as in putting your name on a list. I'm sure I'll be fine.

25. nanobrew

Hmmm, not really sure if there is a true party. Maybe there is, that would be cool, but they comment you can come anytime they are open that day (and through the rest of the year)

26. rrryanc

Oh agreed. You'll note in my first post that I referenced not getting a response to my inquiry. Thanks to this thread, that's been remedied, and I appear to be getting a refund (some mixup in emails from my first inquiry apparently). In which case I don't think there's anything even remotely illegal. My question was to paying, then not receiving either that amount back, or the goods you paid for, because of an expiration date.

27. stawn

stawn Savant (325) California Sep 16, 2008

You are purchasing beer and nothing more. Put your name where it asks for it.

28. EZ bro. Down to sip some Decadence while I receive these barrel-aged wonders.

29. nanobrew

glad things worked out (well, at least you getting your money back). I agree that it would have been illegal (at least in CA) to not receive the goods or a refund. Hence why Groupons are always worth the amount you paid and gift cards cannot expire.

30. Yeah, thats what I was confused about. I guess to me, beer release=PARTY

31. nanobrew

I think they worded it the same for the BA decadence release, yet there was no party (at least to my knowledge)

32. BAD?

33. I still see tickets. I guess there was no reason for the shhhhhh...

34. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

now how do i convince my gf to take the trip to alesmith this weekend. maybe if i'm honest & mention release party she'll bite? throw in a trip to lucha libre for surf n' turf burritos to try & seal the deal? :D

BrewtifulMind and ehammond1 like this.
  35. Who is going to the release party?

usofar likes this.
  36. I'll stop by, but I have no idea at what point in the day that will occur.

37. AndresR

AndresR Savant (250) California Jul 19, 2009

http://www.hashhouseagogo.com/

queens1130 likes this.
  38. Ya I plan on being there early...have a few sips then be out.

39. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

Same here - gonna go first thing in the morning so that I have more than enough time to sober up for nanobrew's shindig.

nanobrew, ryno09 and ehammond1 like this.
  40. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

Wowcoolman likes this.