1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

AleSmith Brewing Company Barrel Aged Speedway Stout Release

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by jamex, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Worse case, find a kinkos/fedex and & use their 4pay computers to print out a copy
  2. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

I'm pretty sure they made it clear they would not do that again for this release.
  3. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

My friend got turned away when picking up BAD and was told to come back with his actual printout...thankfully he's local, but they were already partially enforcing the requirement for printouts on that release.
  4. Can anyone who picked up today confirm? I picked up by BAD by just flashing my iphone screen and it was no problem....would hate to incorrectly believe I can do the same with the BA speedway's and get rejected...
  5. baybassboy

baybassboy Savant (380) California Feb 23, 2011

Befriend local BA's

goprintitoutformebro
  6. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

Just flashed my confirmation from BPT & picked up bottles just fine today, cheers!
    bigsippin likes this.
  7. How's the release party? I forget which 4 variations they said they were going to pour (one was the Vanilla Coconut I think).
  8. AndresR

AndresR Savant (250) California Jul 19, 2009

Nutella, BA, cold pressed mocha, and hot pressed Italian roast. Took 1min to get my flight. $9, flight only. Sep area in the back for the flight so you can get away from the crowd in the front. Bottle pick up on the side office.
  9. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

Bottle pickup took two minutes. Easy peasy. Front bar had BASS on cask, Speedway on nitro, BA Nut Brown, Winter Yulesmith, small beer Yulesmith (so good), small beer Belgian, Speedway with Vietnamese coffee plus the usual lineup. All my tasters were served in Waterford crystal...
  10. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

beers were awesome. plastic cups, pathetic.
  11. redmagik99

they tried to prevent me from using the tray from the speedway flight to hold other beers. I was like, ITS A FUCKING TRAY. sometimes I question whether the beer is worth the trouble.
  12. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

They probably had a limited supply of trays and wanted to keep them available for people doing the flight. People would've complained if they hadn't provided trays, now someone's complaining that they tried to prevent you from using it for other beers (although it sounds like they let you anyway).

I'm sure brewery owners and employees often wonder if the extra things they do for special releases are worth the trouble, considering they'll just get bitched at for something or another.
  13. redmagik99

Nope, trays were not being reused, nor recycled.

And it should be worth the trouble if they make more money than they would otherwise via these extra things. It may also be worth it if these extra things solidify and expand their customer base, which relates back to making money. To the first point, I'm sure they achieved their goal. To the second, not so sure.
  14. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

tray rage. you've earned your level 2 beer geek card. congrats!
    domtronzero and grandmeaulnes like this.
  15. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

Were too.
  16. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

100% they were reusing the trays. When I got a flight they asked me to bring back the tray when possible. When I brought the tray back the were very thankful.
  17. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

No fucking way. That's awesome. I was in there a few months back and told them I loved how they did so many different versions of Speedway, but I keep waiting for two particular ones I want to try: Nitro and Sans Coffee. They told me neither would ever happen.

I hope it was good enough to repeat and I'll see it again.
  18. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Honestly, nitro didn’t really make much difference other than the mouthfeel within the first 5 minutes of consumption. BA cask on the other hand… holy crap.
    BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  19. The cask version was by far the best but maybe that's just because it was the only one I got in a glass???
    lulz plastic doesn't rustle my jimmies.
    queens1130, usofar, nanobrew and 2 others like this.
  20. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

BA cask was phenomenal. Kind of ruined the regular BA for me when I had it in the taster flight.
    BdubleEdubleRUN and LSUPT like this.
  21. Showing the email on my phone was sufficient.

They were re-using the trays.

BA Nut Brown was good.
    LSUPT likes this.
  22. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

damn it, how did i miss this! i was so focused on the flight

side note: i'm pretty sure my gf was the only person to ever buy a 32oz growler & not fill it, she's apparently a sucker for glassware too lol
  23. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

BA Speedway on cask was fantastic. I want moar.
    ryno09 likes this.
  24. karink

karink Aficionado (145) California Nov 28, 2009

Does anyone know how many bottles were released?
  25. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Sorry to randomly ask here, but if anyone has more of this than they need (laugh with me, I get it) this is one of the bottles I've been wanting to try for a while now. I would be willing to trade some good midwest stuff, and make sure it's appropriately balanced. Back to your delicious barrel coffee stout madness, and pardon my interruption!
  26. nasty31

nasty31 Savant (250) Indiana May 5, 2010

27. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

I'm heading to SD for Thanksgiving, how do I go about obtaining a couple of bottles? I know the release was over a week ago, are there any bottles left at the Bruery? Get at me...

Cheers!
  28. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

You might want to read the first post... tickets came and went weeks ago.
  29. That, and I don't think the Bruery was ever likely to stock AleSmith BA Speedway...
    BrewtifulMind and luwak like this.
  30. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Why would the Bruery have bottles of this?
    BrewtifulMind and luwak like this.
  31. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

Mos def.
  32. 1) There was an on-line sale over a month ago held by Alesmith for BA Speedway Stout. It sold out in a day.

2) Only way to get BASS now is via trade