1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

AleSmith to Wisconsin

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by elliott1184, Sep 25, 2012.

1. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

Anyone know when exactly this is happening? When it does, how difficult will it be to find some speedway stout?

2. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I heard this from a distributor recently. SO pumped. LOVE me some speedway stout!! Someone call Motorheadtodd!

3. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

Now if we can just get them to distribute to MN...

4. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

I will be happy if I can find it in Hudson. It would be great though if they came to MN too.

maximum12 likes this.
  5. AdamU726

AdamU726 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 5, 2010

excellent news!!!

6. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Awesome. Hope it is soon!

7. I have no problem driving to Hudson for speedway or numbskull. I have no idea why breweries west of MN like Oskar Blues, Alesmith and Bear Republic along with others go around us and distribute their product in WI. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

sacrelicio likes this.
  8. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

This is awesome, i was hoping Mission wouldn't be the only one to come here.. now give me some ballast point, i can get stone in il...

9. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

is there a link to official news on this?

eta: not because i don't believe it.. just that i haven't heard it and i want to know where distribution will be.

10. jegross2

Per a distributor I chatted with at discounts last week

11. Looks like another beer I will be loading up on when I make my trips to Wisconsin.

Durb777 likes this.
  12. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I can't wait to be able to drive to Kenosha and drink Wisconsins' Speedway milkshake

BrownAleMale likes this.
  13. jegross2

Or messages to me when I come to Chicago ;)

ChiTownPackFan likes this.
  14. I guess I can safely drink the Speedway I have been hanging on to...

JKIRBY likes this.
  15. dhannes

dhannes Savant (385) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

Yes...Wisconsin has the lowest beer tax in the nation, and, as such, the lowest retail prices...also, in the top 10 in the nation in per capita consumption of beer.

Also...we cannot get most East Coast and West Coast brands here (at least not in Madison), due to the distance.

Lastly, CoorsMiller has been the bread and butter for many, many liquor stores for many years...so they have the flexibility to offer craft beers.

16. jegross2

Coffee forward beer is to be drank fresh!

17. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

This is EXCELLENT news. Have been wanting to try Speedway for quite a while now, but my finances don't allow for trading for quite some time.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  18. Ha, figures that only after I trade for some AleSmith, and then buy some off of letspour, that I would learn it's coming to WI. Still, this is fantastic news.

stayclean likes this.
  19. doucmehu

doucmehu Savant (390) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

I am just hoping their IPA makes it here fresh. It is in my top 5 IPA for sure! Nova tweeted out that they will be getting distro, so yay for Twin Cities guys (and me)!

Also coming to Western WI in the near future - Green Flash, Ale Asylum, 6 Point

20. I want Green Flash in southern Wisconsin. I've picked some up the last two times I visited family in Rockford. Good stuff!

21. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

x and speedway were among the beer highlights of my san francisco trip earlier this year. super excited to add it to my woodmans runs.

BeerMeFitz likes this.
  22. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (345) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

Speedway stout is the beer that brings strangers together. Can't wait!

23. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I so want me some Alesmith Wee Heavy. Oh please oh please oh please!

24. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Was actually wondering if anyone heard any more on this. Really hoping this happens.

25. Yes is there a set date?

26. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

anyone heard any more details? really pumped to get some speedway and x on my kenosha runs...

27. Everyone seems to like the test the water in WI for awhile and then bail when they don't take over a significant share of the marketplace.

28. grynder33

grynder33 Savant (380) Wisconsin Jul 31, 2003

Heard that getting their permit to distribute in Wisconsin was dragging for some reason by the state,still should happen before end of year

29. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Hard to imagine that I'd be able to purchase a bottle of speedway (in WI) for Xmas or new years eve... If true that would be quite the holiday miracle :)

30. Hopefully it doesn't take them as long to get to market as its taken Deschutes or we won't see Alesmith until 2020

jegross2 likes this.
  31. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I agree with you. I don't understand why breweries think that Wisco is a good test market? Loyal customer base+plenty of great local breweries=hard to take any market share.

32. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Advocate (540) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

Since I am traveling to WI for the holidays, it would be nice to see AleSmith on shelves. Indeed, it would be a XMas miracle.

33. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Savant (380) Wisconsin Apr 13, 2010

Who pulled out because they weren't able to get market share? Dogfishhead pulled so they could better supply home market ( bastards, I really miss burton baton ) and stone pulled because they couldn't control distributors - keep stuff managed on shelf from sitting around too long. I think Avery pulled for the same reason as dogfishhead ( and if you know where to look you can still get it ).

Wisconsin is a good test market because we're a bunch of drunks.

71gto, JKIRBY, atone315 and 2 others like this.
  34. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

It sounds like you are more connected to the Wisco beer scene than I am, but would a brewery honestly pull out of a market and SAY "we couldn't obtain market share, so we're leaving". I doubt it. I'm sure DFH looked very closely at all their states and markets, and got rid of certain ones, there was a reason why Wisco was dropped and not, say Michigan.

35. jjheinrichs

Maybe DFH pulled out because we were drinking too damn much of it and they just couldn't keep up. ;-)

36. jverdo1

jverdo1 Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 5, 2012

Your statement is really close - DFH wanted to expand into a few new markets and didn't have the capacity to do so. By leaving the WI market, was supposed to be temporary, the brewery was able to expand into 2 or 3 new states. DFH was not available throughout the state either, only certain areas.

37. I agree with you and I don't. I understand that part of the reason is supply at home, but there is a lot of product from new-to-Wisconsin breweries that are just sitting, and sitting, and sitting...The bottom line of any business is sales and your average beer drinking Wisconsinite that prefers craft over the macro-slop is going to reach for a Spotted Cow 6-pack for $7.99 over a 60-minute IPA from Dogfish or Arrogant Bastard or Speedway Stout or BORIS or Alaskan Smoked Porter and on and on....I'm always glad whenever a new, good brewery comes to Wisconsin, but your average person will stick to what they know (i.e. New Glarus) when their $10 is at stake.

38. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Talked to beechwood yesterday it is on its way soon

39. As well you should. New Glarus is world class.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  40. jjheinrichs

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/10/11/beer-consumption-top-states/1627621/

Wisconsin is the 12th highest by gallons consumed and 6th highest per capita. Definitely worth a shot to try to carve out some of that market.

Honestly I think any brewery that comes here is going to have a tough time if all they sell is $7+ bombers - especially if they're styles that Joe Sixpack won't like, DIPAs, Imperial stouts, etc. That's the product sitting on shelves. I personally think deschutes would do really well here since they have a lot of the middle of the road products (in terms of flavor profile, not quality) for sale in six packs.