1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Algonquin Binny's thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by mychalg9, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I'm hoping there are enough of us on here that shop this store to keep this thread active. It might be nice to have an organized area to discuss what is available at the store. I live half a mile from there so I stop in frequently. I'll be stopping there after work tonight so can update any new beers they have or if anyone is looking for something and dont feel like calling them I can check it out. Currently am looking for Founders IS....anyone seen it there yet? If you're posting about available beers you've seen there feel free to include the cost if you remember it. I'm not opposed to including nearby stores as well in here (Woodmans, Trader Joe's, CL Cardinal Liquors, etc...). Hopefully we can get some action in here and keep this alive...

2. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

I am down for updates

3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Hmm... Really?

Lukafer and MarkIntihar like this.
  4. Rihup

Rihup Savant (330) Illinois Oct 7, 2011

Pretty sure they have it at woodmans as of yesterday. I would call and double check.

5. Coirm

Coirm Aficionado (160) Illinois Dec 12, 2012

Binny's in Schaumburg got it yesterday. Had one last nite. Excellent.

6. mychalg9

Cool thanks. I'll check out Binny's first since it's closer, otherwise I might just take a quick drive down there to check it out.

7. I also saw Founder's IS at Woodman's yesterday.

8. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

I will be interested in following this thread. i pass by there about twice a week.

9. angrywolf

angrywolf Aficionado (100) Illinois Feb 22, 2010

I buy my groceries at Woodman's in Carpentersville all the time and always check out their beer section. I live closer to the Binny's in St. Charles, but visit the Algonquin one frequently as well, I will post here if I see any interesting beers.

10. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

I take classes in Elgin and stop in once a week. I'd definitely be interested in a thread like this. Ill be hoping for some Founders IS to be there on Tuesday night when I'm in town.

11. mychalg9

Stopped by today, they had plenty of Founders IS for $11.99 a 4-pack. In the case in front they had DFH Hellhound ($12.99 I think), about 4 or 5 of the 50/50 Eclipse variations ($29.99), and I think Stiegl DIPA ($19.99?). They also had the new (to our area) Deschutes and Kona beers, in 6-packs and broken up as singles in the mix-a-six section. I didnt hang out for too long so didn't notice much else.

12. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (350) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

Thanks for noticing the new stuff in the store, guys. Twitter updates at @beeratalgonquin

pudgym29 and AleWatcher like this.
  13. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

At Algonquin Binnys (not AleWatcher)

aasher, Treebs and MarcatGSB like this.
  14. beergurujr

Well it's Monday.... One case of FFF GBH.

15. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Any word on if Black Note 4 packs may be hitting Algonquin? Or will those just stay in the downtown Binnys locations?

16. beergurujr

No word from my distro. My guess is not out here.

Wanted 50 cases of Hopslam; I'm only getting what I got last year. 30 cases. Probably next week, late in the week.

Brunite likes this.
  17. trbergman

trbergman Savant (405) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

Ha! You still order Gumballhead?

TMoney2591 and Vav like this.
  18. mychalg9

Following on twitter, now, thanks for posting that!

19. mychalg9

Will the hopslam be in the glass case and will there be a limit on bottles/6-packs?

20. beergurujr

Nope. I will tweet the minute it's in the door. It will be rationed, one 6 pack per customer. The beer will likely be kept in the back room for the first couple days, before the rest (if any) gets stacked on the floor. Still with the one 6 pack limit.

Nachos4two likes this.
  21. mychalg9

Awesome.....appreciate the updates!

22. mychalg9

Is green flash palate wrecker gonna be around?

Edit: D'OH I just saw the twitter

23. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."

AleWatcher, DHS1029, je1129 and 3 others like this.
  24. beergurujr

My wife is from "Mill-e-wah-que".

25. mychalg9

Do these guys know how to party or what?!

Grabbed an Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Imp Stout yesterday, can't wait to try it. $7.99

They still have a ton of the 50/50 Eclipse's too. Also per their twitter they have ruthless rye and bigfoot in 4-packs. I don't think I noticed any CW BBS left so I might have to try to find more of that somewhere else.

lurchingbeast likes this.
  26. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Seems like CW BBS was a blink-and-you-missed-it thing. A guy at my Binny's checked the computer and said it appeared to be gone everywhere but POSSIBLY River Grove. Not sure if they send the stuff in waves or if that's the end of it for the season.

27. mychalg9

Yeah I fortunately grabbed two 4-packs originally, but it looked like they had quite a bit so I figured it would last a few weeks. I guess I was wrong.

28. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

Were you there around 11-ish Tuesday morning getting the Arcadia from the case with the help of their cigar guy? I may have passed you while I was browsing.

Huntley Armanetti had a lot of CW BBS left as of last Friday---it was on the end cap of the craft beer display near the front door. Good luck!

29. mychalg9

Cool thanks for the tip, I'll be out that way next week so will swing by.

I was at Binny's around 3:30 so it wasn't me that you saw.

30. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

Anyone looking for CW BBS, I am headed to Wisconsin this weekend and there is usually a ton at the local grocery store during this time of year. Let me know if anyone needs it, I can trade or you can just pay me back.

31. beergurujr

For any CW release, try Amherst Foods in Amherst.

32. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

Any chance you guys will be getting O'So's BB Night Train and Wee on the Lam?

33. beergurujr

Will inquire directly with Marc and Katina at the brewery.

Mandark and Bay01 like this.
  34. DruD

DruD Aficionado (145) Illinois Dec 7, 2010

Since Deschutes is now distributed locally, anyone see any Obsidian Stout yet?

35. trbergman

trbergman Savant (405) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

Obsidian Stout isn't coming to Illinois until later this year - same for Inversion IPA.

36. Just go to woodmans, they have a pallet of it and you can grab as much as you want, cheaper too.

37. mychalg9

They have a pallet now, or they will have a pallet soon?

38. Its there now, I got a case plus 12 black notes, but Im sure the bn is gone by now.

39. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (570) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

just saw some @ the binnys in bolingbrook. 1 bottle limit. Prolly why theyre still sitting up there.

40. mychalg9

Cool thanks! Will stop by after work today. Probably better if the BN is gone, I need to stop spending so much money on beer.