1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

All grain, batch sparging, and brew kettle capacity

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JimmyTango, Feb 24, 2012.

1. I have brewed a 4 gal, all grain batch of an amber using my 8gal brew kettle with a false bottom and a batch sparge with pretty sucessfull results (70% effieciency). I want to do another, bigger beer, but I haven't upgraded any equipment. Do y'all reckon I can fit 13lbs of grain in my kettle-as-a-mash-tun and still manage a 4 gal batch sparge?

I know I could figure this out myself through simple experimentation, but I was hoping somebody could give an easy answer before I buy the supplys.

Any feedback helps!

2. Check out "Can I Mash it?" calculator at http://rackers.org/calcs.shtml/ for if it will fit. You can always split your batch sparge into two parts if you need to (you can store your hot pre-boiled wort in a bucket or carboy if you need to while you do a 2nd sparge).

3. Wow, thanks.

That is a very handy tool!

4. Mfeagin

Mfeagin Disciple (65) Oregon Nov 19, 2009

Is the kettle spigoted? If so, just fly sparge, IMO. I fit about 12# max grain in a 5-gal mash tun with a bazooka tube so I assume you can fit 13# in 8gal w/ false bottom.

5. How could you batch sparge without a spigot? I think you should batch sparge as it is a (IMHO) quicker process that yields similar results.

6. coronajm

coronajm Aficionado (240) Ohio Jan 4, 2010

Batch sparging is very possible without a spigot. You can start a simple siphon of sweet wort through some vinyl tubing attached to a copper manifold, or in this case, a false bottom.