1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

all grain in 5 gal mash tun?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by homebrewer88, Feb 25, 2012.

1. I just purchased a 5 gal mash tun and a lot of people have been telling me that I cannot brew a 5 gal All Grain batch with it. Is this true? If not can anyone reccomend a good starter recipe?

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (820) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

You certainly can brew 5 gallon batches of low to mid gravity beer in a 5 gallon mash tun. Try the Can I Mash It? calculator at this page...

http://rackers.org/calcs.shtml/

meatballj626j and leedorham like this.
  3. Awesome thanks

4. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (435) New York Dec 20, 2006

Whoever told you that is wrong, but brewing 5 gallon batches with a 5 gallon tun will limit you to a gravity of about 1.070, if you want somehing higher than that you'll either need to brew a smaller batch, suppliment with some extract, or get a bigger tun.

5. bwiechmann

bwiechmann Savant (330) Minnesota Nov 30, 2009

I have a 5 gallon tun and brew 3 gallon batches typically. 5 gallons of one beer is too much to have on hand for my situation. When I want to brew a bigger beer I just reduce the batch size, but even with a 2.5 gallon batch you can brew a RIS that hits 1.120 OG with a little room to spare if you wanted to.

HerbMeowing likes this.
  6. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

1.070 is really pushing it...but with a thick mash, double sparge and good efficiency...yes it feasible.

7. leedorham

leedorham Champion (845) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Or you could fly sparge, as long as you have a couple inches of room at the top.

8. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (435) New York Dec 20, 2006

13 lbs of grain mashed at 1.25 qts/lb will fill a 5 gallon tun right to the top, but it's doable, and at an efficiency of 75% will yield a 5 gallon batch with an OG of about 1.070. Not totally unreasonable.

9. mnstorm99

75% efficiency took me quite some time to reach, so maybe I am basing it off of that
    Not completely unreasonable, but for years (before getting my own mill) I was working with about 65% efficiency. 65% seems to be the norm around my homebrew club as well...which they can't understand how I am getting 73-75%. 65% gives me about 1.062 OG, not to mention some malts like Golden Promise will have less potential sugar extraction.

Not really disagreeing with you, I am just trying to look at it in a different light.

10. mnstorm99

I don't know much about fly sparging, but doesn't the fly manifold take up space as well?

11. leedorham

leedorham Champion (845) Washington Apr 27, 2006

If it were a false bottom, yes. Not a whole lot though. The popular plastic ones for the orange round coolers can't take up much more than a pint.