1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

All this sediment in my vintage brew? Help.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by BourbonBarrelBeerBelly, Mar 16, 2013.

1. I just grabbed a bottle of the vintage 2008 Lee's Harvest aged in sherry barrels.. And honestly, I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to the ways of beer. But I noticed a TON of sediment floating around in my beer. I'm guessing it's just yeast, but also want to make sure it isn't potentially something else. So do y'all advise that one would drink the yeast, or whatever it is? Thanks again.

BBBB.
  2. I've seen a lot of sediment in the JW Lee's beer, esp. the aged ones. Let it sit overnight in the fridge to settle out a bit, then pour carefully the next day, leaving the sediment carefully in the bottle. It won't kill you (or even make you sick) if you get some in the glass, but it won't be that tasty either. Enjoy!
  3. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

4. Although I am unfamiliar with the beer you are drinking; Founders Curmudgeon has tons of, not what I would call sediment, but there is something floating in it and at first I was a lil ascared, but after that first smell and taste...No worries!
  5. Let the beer sit for an hour or so, decant the cleared beer into a snifter, and then dump the rest directly into your mouth. It's as good an introduction as any.
  6. barleyswine

barleyswine Aficionado (125) Kansas Feb 27, 2012

I just drank a 2006 harvest sherry cask. It was loaded with sediment. I drank the shit out of it. Sediment like it was orbitz soda
    afrokaze likes this.
  7. Nothing that can hurt you can live in beer.
  8. RDMII

RDMII Savant (285) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Please, do not chill a JW Lee's beer. Room temp only.
  9. Just cracked it open last night. What an unpleasant, overly sweet experience. Incredibly disappointed.
  10. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Why not? It may get a little chill haze, but other than that, what are your concerns? Curious.
  11. forgetfu

forgetfu Aficionado (245) Colorado Jul 27, 2007

On a 1989 Selection Lambic, I had a one inch of growth at the top of my liquid and a green fuzzy cork that would disagree with you.
  12. I'm literally about to dump out the rest of this Harvest Sherry... It was disgusting.
  13. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

First time trying it? That's how it's supposed to taste. Maybe traditional English barleywines aren't your thing.

You's ignant son. Chilll it to cold crash the yeast out of solution, then let it warm a bit before drinking. Beer 101.
  14. RDMII

RDMII Savant (285) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I was referring to drinking it chilled. Relax guys.
  15. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Nice attempt at a recovery ;)
  16. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

It helps to be careful when carrying bottles from cellar to kitchen. I've noticed a great improvement in sediment amounts after really taking care not to disturb the contents during transport.

In most beers it won't hurt anything, although too much of it can have a negative effect on flavor in some beers. Drinking it may also have a negative effect on whoever has to share a bed with you later.