1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Allagash Coolship Red

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by LostTraveler, Nov 19, 2012.

1. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

[​IMG]
    Available today 4 bottle limit.
    sk8man121, franklinn and sandman3479 like this.
  2. Might have to drive up to Portland tomorrow. What was the bottle count and price?
    franklinn likes this.
  3. I believe it was $15/bottle.

Don't know if bottle count was announced.
  4. But how does it taste?
  5. Anyone know how this compares to Mattina Rosa?
  6. blows it out of the god damn water.
    brewbetter and sk8man121 like this.
  7. LostTraveler

last years was amazing
  8. sk8man121

sk8man121 Savant (280) Maine Aug 24, 2007

500 bottles and they went through quite a few of them today so if you want one tomorrow would be a good look. i just drank one of mine and it was delicious.
  9. Compared to Mattina, it's much tamer. Just in general I thought Red was light in all aspects which is why I was wondering if this batch of bottles had something more to it.
  10. Wish I knew this earlier today!
  11. Anyone going up/back from Boston today? I can't get up there but live in town and have lots of HF from two days ago to trade.
  12. Thanks, Tim. Juicy is on her way for Zwanze Day!
  13. LostTraveler

Less than 150 as of opening.
  14. I made the trip up this morning. The number LostTraveler said is pretty much all they had left when I got there which was right after they opened. It was indeed 500 bottles, and I highly doubt any will last until tomorrow. Glad I went.
  15. If anyone has any extra(s), let me know, Would be interested in trading for some.

Thanks.
  16. Anyone know if they still had any left at the end of the day?
  17. SupremePie

SupremePie Savant (310) Vermont Sep 30, 2012

I'm with sandman. Anyone wiht extras tryignt o get their hands on some HF should shoot me a PM
    franklinn likes this.
  18. I stopped by the retail shop today just before lunch, and they had 23 bottles left. I'd definately get there soon if you were hoping to get some.

Speaking with the retail clerk, he mentioned that they just bottled some more coolships. He said that they should be available early in 2013, and were most likely Cerise or Balaton.
    Archemedies likes this.
  19. Gone, per Facebook.
  20. Highly doubt it's Balaton, as they've made it pretty clear that was an experiment and that they only plan to do Cerise in the future of cherry coolships.
  21. I was told this as well. Balaton was a one off. Future cerise might include balaton cherries.
  22. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Is the only place to get this the allagash retail shop?
    Or can it be found in a local portland bottle shop?
  23. Brewery only.
  24. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

Yep, *sigh*… Balaton > Cerise × 1,000,000
  25. Yeah, Balaton's my biggest ISO. Haven't had Cerise either, unfortunately, but if Red & Resurgam are any indication....
  26. I hope the next Coolship release is Cerise. I also hope they release an entirely new one as well this year :)
    franklinn likes this.
  27. last two releases AFAIK were Resurgam this summer and Red, so I assume Cerise is next... I think I heard 2013 will be the next one though?
  28. LostTraveler

When I was there last Tues they were just brewing the base for a new one they said....
  29. A new batch of a current Coolship or a whole new one? Either way I'm pumped.
  30. LostTraveler

All they said was it was the base.... same base for all until they add the fruit
  31. BOBPINCH666

AKA Resurgam(?)
  32. Well, Resurgam's a gueuze-style (I'll refrain from calling it a gueuze to please those of you who don't like using that name for a non-Belgian). It's a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old spontaneous beer. Edit: Don't know that this is true. Thought the website said this. It doesn't - it just says "older and younger" spontaneous beers.

I'm assuming the base recipe for what gets poured into the coolship itself is exactly the same for red, cerise, resurgam, and balaton (or will be after it's tweaked to perfection). That's the "spontaneous beer", equivalent to an unblended lambic - it gets exposed to wild yeast, then aged in barrels. Then it's either put on fruit to referment (Red, Cerise, Balaton) or blended to taste and to referment (Resurgam).

Again, this is totally assumption - but based on everything else they've done, I'm not sure why they'd vary at all from the traditional methods.
  33. BOBPINCH666

I'm familiar with the process, &c. thanks. But, you're right that the fruited variants aren't blended like Resurgam—2-yr à la Lou Pepe, IIRC?—that's my bad.
    Totally "meh" IMO. Real shame they retired 100%-Balaton…
  34. Gotcha - all I was pointing out is that the process that makes it "Resurgam" specifically is the blending.. otherwise it's just "spontaneous beer". Fruited lambics in general, as far as I know, don't tend to be blended across age years (only across barrels). Please correct me here if I'm wrong! I was under the impression similar to you that Allagash uses somewhere between 1-2 year old spontaneous beer for the fruited variants.

Sad to hear that about the Cerise, but matches up with what I've heard elsewhere. Still mega-mega ISO a bottle of Balaton if anyone has a spare...
  35. Shared a Balaton with a friend last week and loved it. Total bummer it was a one-off. Haven't had Cerise yet, but there's a Resurgum in my cellar that has been mocking me.