1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Allergic to Hops!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Cwhite916, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My friend the other day went to the doc and found out he is allergic to hops. It's not a drink it and die thing but just get a bad stomach from it. He ask me what beer has no hops in it, and me being a IPA lover really didn't know much about. I told him maybe some Lambic or even Guiness. BA do you know of any beer that has no hops in it. (cyser)?

2. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

If it doesn't have hops, it's not beer.

tronester and alexipa like this.
  3. There are beers that use different ingredients for bitterness, like spruce tips. Sahti's are not traditionally hopped. How allergic is he? If he drinks a lager/kolsch that's not hopped as much does it give him a problem still? If not he may just have to go to lowly hopped beers. :(

4. "I told him maybe some Lambic or even Guiness."

I hope he didn't try your suggestions. Both of those beers contain hops. The following list may have some beers without hops. Your friend will just have to check each one by contacting the brewery unless it states "brewed without hops."

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/8

Sucks to be him. It's not going to taste like beer without hops. Me, I'd find something to counteract the problem. What about allergy medicine?

fox227 likes this.
  5. Jakers90

Jakers90 Aficionado (215) Michigan Mar 13, 2011

6. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

My suggestion, if its only stomach issues and not a life or death thing...pop the beer, hit the old throne room and enjoy it right on the bowl. He wont have to go to far once it hits his stomach and, if hes anything like me, hes spends a minimum of 20 mins per trip to the bathroom anyway ;)

lsummers, fox227, afrokaze and 4 others like this.
  7. Nutwood

I'd get a second opinion on that, really.

8. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Worst. Allergy. Ever.

GA_SIPPER, ehammond1, leezy and 4 others like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I believe this is the doctors way of trying to get him to stop drinking.

10. "Lambic or Guiness" I looked it up online and some people had success with Guiness cause of the "thickness" they said and Lambic because it's fruit forward. I told him drink all sorts of shit and see what works

11. Seek out Gruits

Cenosillicaphobe, HighWine and azorie like this.
  12. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I have an allergy to at least one component of beer. Tends to give me terrible acne if I really overdo it for some reason, and I'm 24. I guess it all depends on your willingness to live with it as opposed to how bad your allergy gets. I hate stomach aches myself and find even minor ones extremely uncomfortable, so I can imagine this being a nuisance. At least he knows what it is, so maybe he could purposely look for low-IBU beers? Shouldn't barleywines, dopplebocks and most stouts do the trick?

13. There are some hopless beers on the market, but they're specialty items and are often overpriced and hard to get your hands on.

If I were him, I'd learn to homebrew. There are tons of other ways to impart bitterness into a beer without using hops.

That, or just start drinking whiskey.

14. A friend of mine used to be a big beer drinker until he was diagnosed Celiac and found out he can't have gluten. 99% of the time, he avoids beer and drinks more wine and mixed drinks, but once in a while I'll crack open something special and he'll just say, "fuck it," drink to his hearts' content and take the consequences.

azorie likes this.
  15. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Yeah, a beer lover should know better than anyone that it's hard to enjoy life if you keep tip-toe'ing around everything you like. Anyone should be allowed a few vices in life.

How bad does his allergy get?

16. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

That's a bunch of BS, there's nothing "thick" about Guinness and even if there were what does this have to do with an "allergy" to hops? And lambics are actually brewed with large amounts of hops, they're generally aged hops but they're used in significant quantities, regardless of any fruit that might also be used.

azorie likes this.
  17. A myth. Guinness isn't that thick, except to people who drink American Adjunct Lagers and/or have never tried any other stouts.

Besides, I don't really understand how the viscosity of a beer or the addition of fruit ingredients would prevent an allergic reaction to the hops.

azorie likes this.
  18. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I am always skeptical of these diagnoses. Do you know how the doctor arrived at this conclusion? Did your friend say "well I got really sick to my stomach and all I had was 2 pitchers of IPA" and the doctor was like "oh, yeah that sounds like a hop allergy to me." ??

AwesomeSquad likes this.
  19. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

I get a bad stomach from Taco Bell yet I keep eating that crap! Tell your homie to man up, drink a Ruination 10th Anniversary and hope for the best!
    Cheers!

20. I definitely agree with you guys. That's why I put " around them cause I thought the same thing. But the mind is amazing thing and if people that are not used to imperial stout think Guiness is thick and it works for them, then so be it. I also told him to get Johnny walker Blue

21. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Lambics actually have the lowest amount of hops, their IBU's for the style are between 0-10, even AAL's start at 8-15

The lowest based on BJCP style guidelines:
    American Light/Dark Lagers
    Weizen/Weissbier
    Dunkelweizen
    Lambics
    Gueuze
    Berliner Weisse (very low hops)
    Or go with Mead or Cider I guess...

22. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

He should probably age his IPAs.

AwesomeSquad and Kopfschuss like this.
  23. Berlinerweisse are sometimes not hopped at all, and are delicious.

Jakers90 likes this.
  24. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (485) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

Drink 3 day old Pliny ;). "They" say it fades pretty fast.

LostTraveler and 5thOhio like this.

25. This just means you're a masochist.

ChanChan likes this.
  26. I disagree with some of the thoughts posted here. IBU may not be a good measure of how much hops are used in a beer. In particular, I have read that lambics can be brewed with MASSIVE QUANTITIES of hops! You don't taste them because they're dried first for 2-3 years to prevent them from imparting hop flavors to the beer (they're only added as a preservative).

I don't know of beers brewed WITHOUT hops (perhaps some authentic Scottish Ales?). I can only express my sympathy and say that at least you're not allergic to garlic (right?). I think that would be even worse than being allergic to hops. One of my colleagues is allergic to garlic and I told him that I think you qualify for a handicapped parking sticker in New Jersey if you have that affliction.

27. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

Yeah, it's not like hops are on the prick test. I wonder how the doc comes to this specific conclusion as opposed to gluten, yeast, or wheat, though I would imagine you'd have known about that one for years. I would even go so far as to consider getting an ounce of hops for $2 from a home brew store and putting a little on their tongue. For me with shellfish, I can immediately feel a tingling, but there are obviously varying degrees.

28. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Stay away from Miller Lite. That stuff is triple hops brewed. He'd probably keel over within minutes.

mendvicdog, sukwonee, leezy and 14 others like this.
  29. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (380) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

The Packaging/Shipping manager at Upland told me that they use zero hops in the production of their Lambic brews...Not sure he knows what he's talking about, but he assured me they don't use any.

30. I'd forget beer and hit the Ciders. There's some good ones out there and it's a rapidly growing segment of the market.

robinsmv likes this.
  31. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

This is not true, the reason the IBUs are low is because the hops used are aged and the alpha acids degrade and therefore the hops don't yield bitterness, but lambics are actually brewed with large volumes of hops.

robinsmv, tronester and azorie like this.
  32. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

Thank you Dr. Phil! You're a lifesaver!

33. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

You're joking of course?

34. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

wow surprised this thread got this far usually doctor requests concerning beer are banned fast, lol

35. Nutwood

Maybe.
    Reinheitsgebot!

leezy likes this.
  36. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

sucks

on to whiskey!

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  37. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Savant (490) Illinois Sep 1, 2008

Drink bourbon.

38. Legally, in US, to be labeled "beer" (or any of the other "classes" of malt beverages) it must contain hops.

The legal US definition of "Malt Beverage" from the TTB:

An alcohol or alcohol-free beverage made by the alcoholic fermentation of an infusion or decoction, or combination of both, in potable brewing water, of:

· malted barley comprising not less than 25% by weight of the total weight of fermentable ingredients
    · hops (or their parts or products) in an amount equivalent to 7.5 pounds per 100 barrels
    (3100 gallons) of finished malt beverage

AND, with or without
    · other malted cereals
    · unmalted or prepared cereals
    · other carbohydrates (or products prepared therefrom)
    · carbon dioxide
    · other wholesome products suitable for human food consumption

chcfan and Nutwood like this.
  39. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

But we don't actually know what in the hops he's allergic to, presumably the acids which come from the lupulin, it would have the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.