1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Alpine Beer to quintuple production

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by claspada, Feb 12, 2013.

1. claspada

claspada Member

Via BeerPulse.com:
    It has been exactly four months since Alpine Beer Company founder, Pat McIlhenny, announced that the company would grow production by 400% with the help of another brewery. Late last month, McIlhenny told BeerPulse that he is close to inking a deal similar to the one he envisioned this past fall.

The plan calls for the beers of Alpine, ranked #19 in the world by RateBeer, to be produced at a fellow craft brewery in the U.S., one with a “phenomenal water source,” says McIlhenny. He wouldn’t disclose the brewery, citing that a contract had not yet been signed.

Alpine production will go from 1,000 barrels to 6,000 barrels under the terms of the deal. The additional 5,000 barrels will comprise of 2,000 barrels of Nelson IPA, 2,000 barrels of Duet IPA and 1,000 barrels of Hoppy Birthday, an American Pale Ale. McIlhenny recently secured the hops he needed from New Belgium in order to add Hoppy Birthday production into the contract. Formats for all three beers will include 22 oz. ‘Belgian-style’ bottles, kegs and Ball Corporation’s Alumi-Tek aluminum 16 oz. bottles.

Alpine would become only the third craft brewery to adopt Alumi-Tek bottles after Oskar Blues and Sun King did so with their collaboration beers.

As for what this means for distribution, nothing has been finalized but there is a possibility of Alpine distributing in the Bay Area and Sacramento.

McIlhenny also tells BeerPulse that another location in town they had been planning to develop is on the backburner for now.
  2. JulianB

JulianB Member

Hoppy Birthday in bottles? Better change my pants before work.
    jrnyc, radium, Brewzer1010 and 3 others like this.
  3. benjaminahudson

benjaminahudson Member

aluminum bottles. nice.
  4. NHbeerfishing

NHbeerfishing Member

There are phenomenal water sources near expanding breweries in VT.
    fmccormi and ilovermont like this.
  5. Kadonny

Kadonny Member

I have wood thinking that Duet will become more readily available. I freaking love that beer. Send all you can to the east coast please.
  6. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Member

Distribution in WA please.
    harrymel, whiskey and draheim like this.
  7. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

How about some RI/Mass distribution!;)
  8. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

screw you guys, how about some actual SD distribution first. ;)
    domtronzero, stawn, rrryanc and 13 others like this.
  9. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

<insert celebratory gif that would put me on timeout>
    domtronzero, Hanzo, klaybie and 12 others like this.
  10. evilc

evilc Member

11. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

Screw you. SD doesn't deserve any.:mad:
  12. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Member

Gonna ask Pat about it at citybeer today, you gonna make it up there Arbi? I find it hard to believe as much as i would love it, that they can expand to the bay much less sacramento. Even though they would be growing by 400% thats still a relatively small amount of beer for the huge demand they have. You can barely find the beer in SD proper much less the OC.
  13. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

No, I don't support bars with City in the title. Something you'd know about, right? ;)

Seriously though, I don't support the way City Beer is in bed with their distributor. I haven't shopped there in years. And it would really suck if Alpine went through Artisan -- that means all accounts except City Beer will get shafted.
    BobbysLiquors likes this.
  14. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Member

Maybe they can start sending some bottles back up to the LA area.
    Been a few years since it's been up here regularly.
    Angst likes this.
  15. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Member

Agreed, though i am sad to admit I will sell myself out quickly for Alpine. Hoping they use Morris or I would even accept Lime as distributors. I am sure they will be making the push to distribute through daddies company Artisan today though. Outside of Alesmith who does Artisan even carry of real value?
  16. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Member

Midnight Sun.
    sirtomtom likes this.
  17. leedorham

leedorham Member

Oh wow they are like famous then. That's even higher than Ratebeer ranks awesome brewers like Southern Tier and Rogue.
    JackHorzempa and Arbitrator like this.
  18. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Member

I am going to guess 50/50 too then since they first brought it to SF, no proof of that though.
  19. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

Yes, 50/50 used to be with Artisan. But 50/50 found a new distributor this year. Small wonder that City Beer refused to carry the 2012 Eclipses and sold off what was left of their archives this past weekend.

Like anyone really believes Craig's parents' distribution company is a separate entity from CBS...
    BobbysLiquors and huadog like this.
  20. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Member

Agreed. I used to be able to get Pure Hoppiness with some regularity. I haven't seen it in months.
  21. Lutter

Lutter Member

Colorado has some wonderful water sources...

Normally I'd say New Belgium... did they ever get their water clean after those fires or are they still running off city water?

That would make sense since A) their facility is huge-normous and could handle it and B) they've worked with Alpine before and C) Mountain water, yo.

Of course... Pierre Celis said that Austin, Texas has the best water in the world for beer making outside of Germany. ;)
  22. KevSal

KevSal Member

it must already go through asrtisan, becasue city beer store has been selling alpine for a few years now. they seem to have everything but their ipas, except you can see a few boxes of duet through a window in the back :mad:
  23. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Member

Duet on draft at my house? Hell yeah
    mshen, MarkIntihar and ehammond1 like this.
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Member

I just hope that the new stuff isn't lower quality, which seems pretty plausible given the troubles they've been having lately. But if there's top-notch Nelson available in bottles in the Bay Area? Best thing ever.
    OTB and huadog like this.
  25. time4lunch

time4lunch Member

Nice! Using Shaun Hills water at the farmstead will ensure east coast availability. Im pumped. That is some pretty impeessive well water. Saddle up my fellow New Englanders for many a weekend roadtrips. ;-)
  26. evilc

evilc Member

How do rumors get started like this? Oh, like above.
    fmccormi likes this.
  27. ehammond1

ehammond1 Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    How will I trade my $7.99 bottles of year-round IPA for all the whales, bro now?
    Kidding. Whales, bro.
    ryno09, kmatlack, MarkIntihar and 3 others like this.
  28. time4lunch

time4lunch Member

Just messin around. A man can wish...
  29. PeterJ

PeterJ Member

Actually 50/50s marketing director started a craft beer distributor and their first item was Eclipse. The company called Artesian in NorCal is a different company than Artesian Ales in SoCal who distributes Alpine down south. Strange that two different company's called Artesian distribute Alpine lol.

But this is pretty good news. Who wants to bet where Alpine starts brewing now?
  30. leedorham

leedorham Member

It's Deschutes.
  31. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Member

Umm, I'm not sure what you're talking about, but Heather, who used to be with NorCal's Artisan, is the one who started a distributor and they're now distributing 50/50.
    BobbysLiquors and Azrael like this.
  32. Azrael

Azrael Member

***confused***
  33. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Member

The one in So Cal is actually called Artisan Ales.
    http://www.artisanales.net/

I'm not familiar with the one up north, but a search for Artesian came up empty.
  34. Lutter

Lutter Member

Artisan = skilled craftsman
    Artesian = water source that comes from an underground pressurized source
  35. Azrael

Azrael Member

Apparently it is Artisan Distributing:

http://www.artisan-distributing.com/

It doesn't say anything about City Beer Store? But it lists what they carry:

AleSmith Brewing Company (website)
    Cascade Brewing Company (website)
    Midnight Sun Brewing Co. (website)
    Twelve Percent Imports (website)
    Vandberg & Dewulf Belgian Importers (website)

My Google search also brought up this thread: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/city-beer-store-sf.11325/page-2

Apparently Arbitrator really isn't a fan. ;)
    Arbitrator likes this.
  36. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Member

37. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Member

I hear it pronounced as both, and I've never actually seen it written, so I can't comment on proper spelling.
  38. stupac2

stupac2 Member

According to the almighty googles you have:

Artisan: /ˈärtizən/
    Artesian: /ärˈtēZHən/

They're pretty different sounds.
    alfrantzell likes this.
  39. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

You need to consider that there has been considerable mining in Colorado, and those old mines up in the mountains have polluted water flowing from them. I have been in areas where the water is reddish orange in the streams from that mine shaft run off. I would assume that NB gets the water from the city, which gets it from the Cache reservior.

The water in Austin is OK. Some of the water in Germany is pretty full of minerals and does not taste so good, but some areas are good. If a brewer has a clue they can adjust the water, but that takes money.
  40. jp7161

jp7161 Member

Logsdon